Skyline Cam

Buy Prints

Photo Gallery

Beach Reefs

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Closest amusement park
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:48 pm 

Does anyone know of an amusement park that is close to Navarre Beach? By amusement, I mean like a Six Flags / Bush Gardens type of park. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:12 am 
Power User
Power User

Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!
Can't think that there is one "close" - as in within a close drive... A good question for my FAQ topic. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:34 am 
Power User
Power User

Oh, golly -- I can't think of one nearby. It's something over 360 miles from Pensacola to Weeki Wachee and I think that's before you even get to Busch Gardens.

Hmmm ... let me think ... OK, how about this?
Not on the scope of anything like the Disney parks but a worthwhile visit is Gulfarium Park, imo. As young adults (before the turn of the century) :lol: we took our young children who enjoyed it and now as seniors, we've gone by ourselves and enjoyed it! And it's not all that far from Navarre!

https://www.gulfarium.com/general_admission

1010 Miracle Strip Parkway SE • Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:16 pm 
Power User
Power User

AngelGirl wrote:
As young adults (before the turn of the century)

I cannot be the only person who thought "Before 1900?" :shock:

and then realized what you really meant!

8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:03 pm 
Power User
Power User

Can't put one over on you, can we! ;-) Mind like a steel trap!!! Yep ... back when I learned computers we had to chisel code on stone tablets!!!

(You know I'm ribbing ya!)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:42 am 
Power User
Power User

AngelGirl wrote:
Can't put one over on you, can we! ;-) Mind like a steel trap!!! Yep ... back when I learned computers we had to chisel code on stone tablets!!!

A nice line -- I might use that at work when we get some end users asking for a password reset, the third time in the same day!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:55 am 

Many, many years ago (yr 2000) we went to a water park in Alabama, about an hour away from Navarre Beach. Can't remember the name. Not sure if it is still open. Park was a little out dated but was clean and fun. We took our daughter there when she was about 3 or 4, she is 17 now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:04 am 

AngelGirl wrote:
Oh, golly -- I can't think of one nearby. It's something over 360 miles from Pensacola to Weeki Wachee and I think that's before you even get to Busch Gardens.

Hmmm ... let me think ... OK, how about this?
Not on the scope of anything like the Disney parks but a worthwhile visit is Gulfarium Park, imo. As young adults (before the turn of the century) :lol: we took our young children who enjoyed it and now as seniors, we've gone by ourselves and enjoyed it! And it's not all that far from Navarre!

https://www.gulfarium.com/general_admission

1010 Miracle Strip Parkway SE • Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548

Thanks all for the advice. I think we are going to try the Gulfarium!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:53 am 

There's a couple of places in Destin - Big Kahuna's Water Park, and The Track next to Kahuna's. The Track has bumper cars, bumper boats, goofy golf, go-karts, a big electronic amusement room, and a couple of bungee-type crazy things. A trip to the Gulfarium (which I also highly recommend), then on to Destin would make a full day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:34 pm 

Going Nuts wrote:
There's a couple of places in Destin - Big Kahuna's Water Park, and The Track next to Kahuna's. The Track has bumper cars, bumper boats, goofy golf, go-karts, a big electronic amusement room, and a couple of bungee-type crazy things. A trip to the Gulfarium (which I also highly recommend), then on to Destin would make a full day.

Wow...Thanks for taking the time out to give me all that info!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:59 am 
Power User
Power User

Siverbadge,

The closest and best amusement park is the big blue/green pool in your front yard or back, depending on where you are staying. The second biggest is the smaller pool just to the north of that one. There is more to do, see, catch, play with, marvel at and talk about, than you can shake a stick at. If you must go someplace that has manmade "amusement" I would definitely go with Going Nut's suggestion.

Heck, the pier alone is worth two hours and if you fish....4-6. Just my opinion!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:55 am 

PensacolaKid,

Thanks and point taken! My family and I can go to an amusement park anytime! The fishing you speak of, I was thinking about doing that. Can you enlighten me on what it entails?

The cost? Can I rent fishing gear there? What do I do with the fish I catch (cleaning services near etc). Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:00 am 
Power User
Power User

Silverbadge,

The Pier's cost is $7 bucks to fish. No better bargain on the planet. Yes, they do rent rods and have bait for sale as well. Ask them to hook you up or go to Half Hitch (across the bridge to the mainland, take a right and go down 1/2 mile...on your right). Go for Spanish Mackerel. Fun to catch, easy to catch and oh so good broiled. Take your camera because you will see something you have never seen before in your life....guaranteed!! :D :shock: Enjoy, report back and PLEASE....pictures, plenty of pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:58 pm 

PensacolaKid wrote:
Silverbadge,

The Pier's cost is $7 bucks to fish. No better bargain on the planet. Yes, they do rent rods and have bait for sale as well. Ask them to hook you up or go to Half Hitch (across the bridge to the mainland, take a right and go down 1/2 mile...on your right). Go for Spanish Mackerel. Fun to catch, easy to catch and oh so good broiled. Take your camera because you will see something you have never seen before in your life....guaranteed!! :D :shock: Enjoy, report back and PLEASE....pictures, plenty of pictures.

Thanks! Will Half Hitch freeze dry my catch so I can take them back home with me? Or is there some place that will do that?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:08 am 
Power User
Power User

Silverbadge,

Number one...where do you live. Number two, you can fresh the fish yourself and suck the air out of the baggie with a straw or you can put fish in a Gallon baggie, fill with water and then freeze. Either way, it will stay frozen for 10-12 hours or more. Trust me, I have done it many times. Oh...then put those baggies under ice in a cooler and tape the cooler shut so no air gets inside.