kiteboarder checking in

Here is where you find information and discussion about the proposed Navarre Beach Snorkeling & Diving Reef.
dan

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:28 am

Hello all,

Love the idea of the sanctuary, and I hope the challenges discussed on the forums can be sorted. I don't speak for all those who come by Navarre Park to kiteboard, but I'm willing to be a conduit. Kiteboarding in NW florida takes some devotion. The winds are not ideal here, unlike Maui or the Pacific Northwest, but with the right gear and patience it's awesome--and is life consuming. That's why you see so few regular kiters here. I doubt our numbers will explode anytime soon. That being said, I wanted to make sure we lucky few don't endanger this project. I extend my services to answer any questions about the arcane art of kiteboarding.

Pretty soon the winds are going to start coming out of the north and northwest with the cold fronts. We take advantage of these windy days from the end of September well into March. Yes, the wind and water get mighty cold when you are doing 25 mph on the sound, but we love it. I've enclosed an approximate arc of where most kiteboarders move. This depends on the strength of wind and its direction. We typically follow a line perpendicular to the wind in the water. During the rest of the year, we are in the gulf.

I know these areas will be marked off for boaters, and most kiters should be able to avoid the areas. If we can't make it we default to a method called body dragging-- the board goes off our feet and then we swim with the kite pulling us out. This would have the same impact of a snorkeler. Sometimes the wind dies down, and no amount of cursing changes that. We draft barely an inch of water, but I'm no marine biologist. I don't know if that effects anything in this sanctuary or not.

We kiters enjoy a sport that is harmonious with nature yet full of exhilaration. We feel a sense of ownership at our surf spots (tourist left my surfside spot a wreck btw--organizing trash pick up at my squadron). I want to ensure that we are working with you.

If you were wondering about depth check out my video:

Image[youtube][/youtube]
David
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:17 am

That looks like so mo fun!!!! I always watch you guys with a ton of envy. Wish I still had the able body that allowed that much thrill.

You are right, the kite cam certainly points out the shallows.
David
need2fish

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:47 am

Definitely looks like fun and a great complement to the fishing, snorkeling, and diving activities. I see you guys out there frequently. Impressive.
michel123

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:50 pm

i agreed david and i I always watch you guys with a ton of envy. Wish I still had the able body that allowed that much thrill.
michel123

Return to “Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary (Snorkeling & Diving Reef)”