NavarreBeachLife.com

FORUMS

Home | Contact Administrator | Rules and Regulations

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:11 am 

Why is N.B. included in Navarre incorporation? We were never asked to vote on it?
If Navarre is incorporated we will have both Navarre and SRC sucking funds from the Island $$$$$

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:54 am 
Power User
Power User

GONEFISHING wrote:
Why is N.B. included in Navarre incorporation? We were never asked to vote on it?

The proponents of incorporation came up with the proposed boundaries, and presented same to county commissioners.
The people from Holley were very vocal that they did not want to be included - so the proposal excluded them. I guess the NB folks were not as vocal - or were on both sides of issue?

Anyway THIS is the first "vote" (actually "straw poll"/survey).
That is why nobody has been "asked to vote" previously - NB or mainland.
There was a large effort put into a petition gathering signatures of those interested in putting the issue to this straw poll/survey - many who do live on NB.

FYI - the status of this straw poll/survey has not be communicated very well. It is not an actual vote to incorporate or not. Such an actual vote would not happen until 2016, at the earliest.
This is to see if enough interest, at all, to continue to explore the possibility by drafting a proposed city charter and delving deeper into the proposed financing options.

While I am skeptical of incorporation - I am curious enough to "vote" to explore the next step.
However, if do take the next step (a draft charter) those in favor would have to raise about $100K - not sure that is possible (maybe there is a grant that could be sought - dunno?).

I did recently learn at least one reason to consider incorporation. It has to do with the proposed county local-option 1% additional sales tax for the much needed new county courthouse.
While it is projected to raise about $10-12M per year (limited to 5-years) for the courthouse, only 90% goes to that end. By state statute, the county must "share" 10% of local-option sales taxes with incorporated cities in the county - so Gulf Breeze, Milton, and Jay will get to share about $1M per year for whatever purposes they want - and unincorporated areas like Navarre and NB get nothing "extra" from it.
There are other similar reasons to consider incorporation - though I do not think that it will result in increased services unless there is increased taxes to pay for such increased services.
The current "lean government" incorporation proposal envisions that the county still provide law enforcement, road and street maintenance, maintenance of parks, code enforcement, etc. - and the county will have a little less money to do so, as state revenue sharing and franchise fee money now going to the county will be, in part, redirected to the city of Navarre to the tune of about $3.5M+ per year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:18 am 
Power User
Power User

I have two questions or perhaps a comment and a question.

The majority of Navarre residents, do they want to be incorporated or not? Is there a particular reason why people would want to be governed by a County and in this particular instance, at least according to the many negative remarks I have heard over the years on this forum about the County and the corrupt County officials...just wondering why they would want to put up with this?

Secondly, why would any "town" not want to be responsible for their own well being (by being incorporated)?

I guess thirdly, would not NB be including with/in Navarre? And if not, why not?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:16 am 
Power User
Power User

Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!
Being a little cynical, Why would the beach area be included? Simple, it is the biggest cash cow in SRC and only a fool would not want the beach area as a part of the process.

The boundaries are the result of the desires of the incorporation people along with some legal restrictions about distance from neighboring city boundaries etc.

Why would anyone WANT to be incorporated? Local control and more relevance to the immediate area when it comes to decisions made. At least that's the theory. One of my local politicians (who is NOT getting my vote) is blatantly in the pocketbook of a single local business. More of the money is supposed to stay locally as the locals get a direct say on at least how some of it is used.

I currently live in an unincorporated county area. It's cheaper to be out here as we don't have the extra layer of Govt. Nothing is free however, and if I want to use the facilities of my nearest city, I have to pay (much higher) fees than Incorporated area residents. So long as you are aware of the implications of all this, it's OK.

:|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:36 am 
Power User
Power User

PensacolaKid wrote:
The majority of Navarre residents, do they want to be incorporated or not?

That's what the straw poll next week will (should?) reveal.

I have read some pretty dumb comments from both sides recently (on Facebook in particular) where there are some very single issue and blinkered mentalities... Stuff like this:

"I'm voting no because I don't like the idea of xxx." What about all the rest of the package? Isn't the overall deal worth it rather than staying unincorporated? THAT'S a much better and balanced question to ask, not JUST because on one point.

"I'm voting no because I don't want moire taxes." Nobody wants to pay more taxes, and even if it's NOT a small amount more to pay, is the extra worth it? THAT'S a much better and balanced question to ask, as it relates to the VALUE of what you get, not JUST the bottom line, as important to all of us as it may be.

"I don't think I'll get anything from incorporation." It's a total package of stuff. There are many local related issues to contend with and decide, if Navarre does incorporate. At least Navarre residents will then get more of a chance to vote on some/most local issues, as a local level.

Frankly... I at least could afford to pay for the projected extra layer of Govt. Not everyone can. I think the Incorporation side has not really addressed this aspect of the campaign well enough, and this is with all the rational and logical explanations and information. There are a lot of low/fixed income people in Navarre who will see this as just another way to tax them. The incorporation side needs to convince those people to get a clear win and from what I have read and heard (nearly all of it at a distance so isn't a very reliable perspective), it doesn't seem that they have.

Next week's straw poll result will be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:39 am 
Power User
Power User

I've posted the link*to the latest feasibility study here. It is well worth reading, although lengthy. Some of the issues are addressed and some of the fears put to rest, imo. Personally, to put it simplistically, I think of incorporation as putting Navarre/Navarre Beach on a more equal footing with Milton. Read it and see what you think. 8) As a former resident (and real estate agent in the county), I may have a slightly different perspective but this study seems to have addressed most of my questions, thus far. Of course, what really counts is what do the current permanent residents want to do! :!:

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=7157

*Ooops - I see that Kenny has already posted the link elsewhere --- but perhaps the re-post will get it even more attention! :)

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:50 am 

Since the time we purchased our home in June, we have made over 10 trips down from Atlanta to work and enjoy our time at the beach. I don't get to vote on this issue and I would say both sides have their salient points. What strikes me is that on each of our drives down, you begin to see the wide range of constituents the county has to satisfy as you traverse the far north end of the county south of the Alabama border all the way down to my front porch at the beach. White cotton to white sand.

It would be very difficult to expect the county to distribute resources evenly and to keep everyone happy (ask the folks in north Fulton County - GA about that!). If you look at the district map for Santa Rosa County Commissioners, District 4 is very small in comparison. Our voice for the future is 1 out of 5. For this reason I lean towards the Incorporation.

I don't like projections that claim a no-cost gain. It will cost us (we are talking about government). The time should have been spent on the pro-Inc side better explaining the benefits that would come from a reasonable increase in taxes. I don't expect to the straw poll to be in favor of Incorporation as the population is not ready to accept any increase in taxes.

Now if we could get fee simple title at the beach. Won't hold my breath on that either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:40 am 
Power User
Power User

RastaNavarrian wrote:
Since the time we purchased our home in June, we have made over 10 trips down from Atlanta to work and enjoy our time at the beach.

Our voice for the future is 1 out of 5. For this reason I lean towards the Incorporation.

I don't like projections that claim a no-cost gain. It will cost us (we are talking about government).

The time should have been spent on the pro-Inc side better explaining the benefits

Now if we could get fee simple title at the beach. Won't hold my breath on that either.

I've edited your comment down to the salient points and agree with you 100%.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:08 pm 

What no one told us if the 1% sales tax was voted down that incorporating Navarre wouldn't get their share $$$$$$ they planned on!