New Hotel on the beach

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:22 am

Pete wrote:Just guessing - does the NB Water & Sewer main line run on the north side of Gulf Blvd.? I guess so, as that appears to be the side of the road where the lift station are located up and down the island? Could this be work on re-connecting the water/sewer for the new hotel (at old Holiday Inn site)?
Pete,

You may be right.

A quick cell phone shot might help anyone interested to identify what is going on?
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
HiTide

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:17 am

We were down for New Years and noticed there is a dozer in the old hotel area and has been pushing around some sand, still no update on the orange construction fencing on north side of road
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:17 am

For those seriously curious, you can check permits here any time you want to or when it's convenient:
http://data1.santarosa.fl.gov/gopermitslive/

:)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:13 am

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2015/01/2 ... /22186949/.
SRC BOCC and Staff were ready to declare Holicorp in default on the lease as Hotel construction did not start by the time designated in the Lease. Financing on leasehold property on NB and BOCC micromanagement is and has been a problem. However; yesterday the SRC BOCC granted MS Hess the owner a 6 month extension on the lease before construction is to start. Construction should start by June 22, 2015 or the leasehold will be declared in default.
See PNJ web provided and a rendering drawing of the Hotel may be seen.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:48 pm

As I was mentioning to a friend the other day and this is just one man's opinion who has been going to Navarre since 1970, I have very fond memories of that Holiday Inn. I loved the things to do inside, I loved the smell, I loved the fish tank, I loved the Seafood buffet, the pools, the oyster bar...even playing ping pong with the smell of chlorine in the air. That is about the ONLY building I hope they put up on that property and if they don't, so be it. Does there really need to be a hotel on the island? Really?

What I don't want the county to do or anyone else for that matter is to put up another ghastly monstrosity of a condo. Navarre Beach does NOT need a concrete jungle. We don't need to pollute the view any further than it already has been.

SAY NO TO CONDO!!!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:02 pm

Rendering Drawing of New Hotel.jpg
Rendering Drawing of New Hotel.jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
Rendering of the New Proposed Hotel ~ Courtesy of Pensacola New Journal

I noticed in the rendering that the first floor has what appears to be blow-out walls to protect the building from a strong storm surge from a hurricane, which meets the County Code. The first floor will allow for parking. It would be prudent for the hotel to place the swimming pool on the second floor like the Belle Mer did with the original construction. The Belle Mer swimming pool was the only swimming pool on Navarre Beach to survive Hurricane Ivan (September 16, 2004) and Hurricane Dennis (July 10, 2005).
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:10 am

PensacolaKid wrote:As I was mentioning to a friend the other day and this is just one man's opinion who has been going to Navarre since 1970, I have very fond memories of that Holiday Inn. I loved the things to do inside, I loved the smell, I loved the fish tank, I loved the Seafood buffet, the pools, the oyster bar...even playing ping pong with the smell of chlorine in the air. That is about the ONLY building I hope they put up on that property and if they don't, so be it. Does there really need to be a hotel on the island? Really?
Yea, I wonder why the "Holidome" concept fell out of favor? Especially, when had kids/family, would search them out.
The large multiuse open "dome" was family friendly - the kids could swim, ping-pong, mini-golf, shuffleboard - while the adults could keep an eye on the kids, while maybe partaking in an adult beverage!
Also, was handy when outdoor weather was not favorable. When we lived in South Dakota, the one in Spearfish was a great place to have a "winter break". The benefits of Navarre Beach's go without saying - when had kids if was rainy out, or surf too high - still a fun time for all.
But even w/o a "Holidome" - yea, do need a full service "family" hotel on beach. (not a high-end, too expensive, one only for the "wealthy".)
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:53 am

Personally speaking, I am not attracted to this type of architecture --- it looks "cold" and a bit austere with a kind of "prison" quality. Plantings and landscape can make a difference but a more "welcoming" and casual style that fits in with the Emerald Coast's interesting and diverse history would be a "better sell", imo!! After all, it's on a semi-tropical BEACH!!! :roll:
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:32 am

That is a very good question Pete as to why did it go out of favor or close. I heard that Ivan's destruction and the thought of rebuilding once again, was just too much for the investers/corporate.

I very vividly remember spending several hours and even days down there with the fella's, especially when we had the stormy, rainy (all day ) types of days.

Like I said, that is THE only building I would support is that hotel. It will be interesting to see if the Corporation or folks in charge will implement any of the old Holidome activities inside the new facility. If they are smart they would have the old with the new.
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:22 pm

AngelGirl wrote:Personally speaking, I am not attracted to this type of architecture --- it looks "cold" and a bit austere with a kind of "prison" quality. Plantings and landscape can make a difference but a more "welcoming" and casual style that fits in with the Emerald Coast's interesting and diverse history would be a "better sell", imo!! After all, it's on a semi-tropical BEACH!!! :roll:
Once again, I agree with you AG!
"With every drop of water you drink, every breath you take, you're connected to the ocean, no matter where on earth you live."
-Sylvia A. Earle, Explorer/Oceanographer

Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:24 pm

MS Hess, Holicorp CEO said at the BOCC Meeting 01-22-15 that any changes in the plans even to include small bathroom changes would delay the build and cost a lot of money. Financing at this point is the apparent hold up.
Holi Corp also owns the adjacent lot and if memory serves me there were plans to build a strip mall type ancillary facility with a restaurant and other amenities to accompany the Hotel. Not sure if that plan includes a pool.
I too would like to see a quality Hotel built on that prime property and ancillary shops and entertainment would be a welcomed addition to the beach at that commercial end of the beach. I also loved the old Holidome and enjoyed eating and tipping a few there when we visited and stayed at the Sun Dunes and Sugar Beach in the 90's. I also miss Barracudas on the beach. 8)
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:59 am

The rendering from my post above shows a proposed 160 rooms, approximately $30 million hotel on Navarre Beach, which would be located at the Holiday Inn that was destroyed during Hurricane Ivan on September 16, 2004. (Image Credit: Pensacola News Journal)

In examining the rendering a pool might be built in 4 possible locations:

1. The first floor's height seems to be much higher than the other floors above. An inside pool could be located here. Prediction: Unlikely - 5% Chance

2. What appears to be an enclosed area with an approximate 20' ceiling could include an indoor pool. I have visited hotels with the pool on the roof that is enclosed, but never on a beach. Prediction: Likely - 15% Chance

3. Build an outdoor pool on the same level as the garage floor. The downside is that this location for a pool would be severely damaged during a Hurricane. Prediction: Likely - 20% Chance

4. Build an outdoor pool Gulf side on the same level as the first floor above the garage. The pool could be constructed like the Belle Mer pool, which is above their garage and has never been damaged by the storm surge of a Hurricane. See my photos below. Prediction: Very Likely - 70%

My predictions above are based solely on guesses.
0025_3244.jpg
0025_3244.jpg (489.38 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
0024_5759.jpg
0024_5759.jpg (382.66 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
Photos by Kenny Wilder
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
livinglarge
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:56 am

any work going on at site??? Never seen such slow movement on construction as in navarre.Get on with it already!

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”