Some older pis of Navarre Beach

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.
dlhamann

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:21 pm

I was at my parents house last week and found lots of old pics of Navarre Beach from 1983 to the mid '90's. Enjoy!

These were taken from Navarre Towers in the mid '90's...the Holiday Inn is still there.

Here, Belle Mer is still under construction (See right):

This one was taken circa 1993:

Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:42 am

Loved those good old days. Many good times and special occasions were celebrated at the Holiday Inn, Barracudas, Palms, Sailors Grill,Juana's and at the old fishing pier.
Too bad the Holiday Inn, Baracuddas, Footprints, West Thom Thumb and now possibly Cocodries are not still viable businesses on the Beach.
The beach is still beautiful and fall is a wonderful time of the year to be on the beach. I leased a lot in 93 and built a small house in 2000. This year I had to move back to KS. Grandkids house is now a rental.
Check out the rental opportunities on this forum and pay Navarre Beach a visit. You will be sure to make some wonderful memories 8)
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:54 am

I enjoyed these pictures so much!
Arlo

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:30 pm

Enjoyed the photos which really show when the sand was its original powdered sugar white. We first visited in 1992 and we had never seen anything like it. The pure white sand is a scarce commodity now but we still love Navarre Beach.
Goodtimes

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:11 am

We were thinking the sand is not as white as it used to be.. We can remember mornings looking out at the beach with the morning mist and the white sand and it looked like snow cover in the Colorado mountains.. We have asked around a little but never got any real answers if it was just us or if the sand was not as white.. Our older pics were not good enough to really tell if there was a difference.. I guess the beach renewal was done with sand that was a different color..
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:02 pm

The beach renewal was done with sand pumped directly out of the Gulf of Mexico at Navarre Beach. It will bleach out from the sun, but that takes time, just as the sand before it.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
Arlo

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:49 pm

In my opinion, the earlier sand from a decade ago was not only whiter but a much finer grain.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:37 am

Arlo,

You are absolutely correct! One only has to walk along the north side of the beach road and you can see and feel the sand that used to be on the beach prior to 2004. Our backyard at the Lazy Dolphin is about 3.5 feet deep now with just that sand. It is much whiter and much finer and feels ohhhh so good during the early evening and very early morning hours.

As I have stated before though.....yes the sand on the beach right now may not be of the color and consistency of the days gone by, but it is light years ahead of say....Texas beaches! Still beatiful just different!

The Shelling is better today though than yesteryear!
dlhamann

Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:50 pm

[quote="PensacolaKid"]

I agree, the shelling is MUCH better than when I was a teenager playing at Navarre Beach (I'm 40 now), and I'm from Texas, too, Pensacolakid! I agree....Texas beaches stink!

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”