What Would You Like to See Come to Navarre Beach

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.

Do you want to see commercial growth

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 24
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:52 am

With all the economic woes, unemployment, lack of development etc...What I'd like to see come to Navarre Beach in the immediate future is........Cobia!
Navarrian
David
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:31 am

And may, at least one, be decked with my jig in his mouth!! 8)
David
mfhurst

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:45 am

Why destroy the image of why people choose Navarre Beach...... IF I want crazy I will rent a condo in Destin or Panama City..... The ideas I have read about on this forum brings tears to my eyes. I am from Arkansas and make at least one trip to Navarre each and every year, and for one reason, peace and quite...... If I want to eat, shop, recreate, then I am only a short drive from it, that's the DRAW of Navarre... and WE LOVE IT, LEAVE IT AS IS...........if they want to do anything please keep it on the main land and leave the ISLAND as is.........
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:43 am

mfhurst wrote:Why destroy the image of why people choose Navarre Beach...... IF I want crazy I will rent a condo in Destin or Panama City..... The ideas I have read about on this forum brings tears to my eyes. I am from Arkansas and make at least one trip to Navarre each and every year, and for one reason, peace and quite...... If I want to eat, shop, recreate, then I am only a short drive from it, that's the DRAW of Navarre... and WE LOVE IT, LEAVE IT AS IS...........if they want to do anything please keep it on the main land and leave the ISLAND as is.........
Amen!!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:10 am

mfhurst,

I am with you on that! I was sick and still am concerning those high rise condos. I did not want to see them go up to begin with and frankly, I don't like them being the first thing I see when I crest the bridge or even from 98 for that matter! To me they are ghastly! The quiet, the family atmosphere, the relative lack of things to do (relative being the key word)...that is the beauty and what makes Navarre Beach, Navarre Beach. If that ever changes....e.g. a channel cut to the Gulf, etc.......I don't know what I would do or where I would go. I am sure there are some places in the Caribbean that would blow my socks off but those are not realistic for me. Navarre has held and continues to hold a very special place in my heart and soul. I grew up going there. My dad taught me to fish there, my daughter has grown up there, most of my memories with family and friends are there.
chillbilly

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Nothing on NB, however would LOVE to have a Kroger and Trader Joe's close by. Whole Foods would be ok too. :o
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:13 pm

What I'd most like to see on NB ...

my hubby's footprints (as they are here)
because that would mean I'm somewhere nearby taking photos of Navarre Beach!!! :-)

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:54 am

If ya have a craving for Krogers, go to one of the many Tom Thumbs, They own them all now and sell many of the Kroger brands there, most even have little deli counters with pizza, sandwiches,roasted and fried chicken, etc.. They all have convenience store prices though. The TT on the beach does not have the little deli, not yet anyway.

Don't believe another grocery would survive unless an existing one was to close.

Look at it this way, shopping a store different from the one back home, may enlighten ya as to what the one at home may be missing.

Publix, of which we have one, is a Florida based, family run, company and one of the best grocery chains in the country. Most of thier employees are happy campers and it shows. Our WD has been here a long time so they must be doing something right, survived when many WD's were closed not long ago, though the local store does show it's age and the fact that it survived the Ivan storm surge that breeched it's front doors.

I would rather see the stores we have enjoy a long happy life. With Wally World close by they have to keep most prices competitive and they run sales continually.
David
Tracy210T

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Tuscan Grill is a great restaurant.. we love it there..

Any of you remember Cowboys, where Helenback is now? That was a great steakhouse.. Ivan destroyed it..
... just dreamin' of the beach, as usual...
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Yes, we were very disappointed that Cowboy's didn't build back! :(

They had some good fish sandwiches and other dishes, too, but were probably best known for their steaks ... guess that's why they were called "Cowdoys", huh? LOL

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Actually, was just to the east of Helenback's, just to the right of the motel where the little mobile, drive through, coffee shop is now.

Yes, thier steaks were great and the restaurant was a local favorite probably because we catch, or recieve from friends, much of our own shrimp, crabs, and fish.

I think a family oriented seafood restaurant of the sort you find at Calabash, N. C., a few miles north of Myrtle Beach, S. C. would do well, would appeal and draw tourists during the season and with slight, family style, menu changes could be a local and snow bird favorite during the winter.

I'm thinking of the type you see inland, run by locals as seafood houses, only open 4 days (not necessary here) a week, and runing thier own trucks to the coast to buy seafood on thier off days. Very simple, menu and decor, low overhead, not on prime property, fast turnover (table wise).

The secret is in having super fresh seafood, cooked as it should be (whether fried or broiled), not over cooked like a fast food chain, but not expensive gormet either.

1st time I went to Calabash there was one little cinder block restaurant run by mom while dad shrimped, crabed, and floundered. Mater of fact, the only items on the menu were shrimp. crab, and flounder except for burger steaks or chicken for those that ate no seafood. Must be over 20 restaurants there now, in the middle of nowhere, but people drive there from 50 miles away to enjoy simple local seafood known as Calabash Style. I even heard, over the radio, of Calabash Style being served in Pensacola when I first came to the Panhandle over 30 yearsw ago.

There are a couple restaurants of this type about an hour east of Apalachicola that do very well. People bypass all the gormet type restaurants, as far away as Tallahasse, and drive an hour to enjoy fairly priced, simple but delicious, fresh seafood. There is one of this type in my home town in N. C, many miles from the coast, thier own trucks, with people standing in line to eat, every night they are open.

People seem to want, around here, a gormet type restaurant, big town specialty shops, etc. when what we really need is the simple, layed back things that made Navarre a favorite part of God's country to begin with. Beautuful Gulf, beautiful beach, friendly relaxed people, and a fresh piece of fish (Navarre Style) that slept in the Gulf last night, what more does one need?? Leave the convenience and harass of big city life, gormet restaurants, somewhere inland or we may end up another Destin.
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:19 pm

David,

I could not agree more. It seems that the corporate formula now for a seafood restaurant anywhere on the Gulf side is the same thing fried and $17.95 to $27.95 depending on how close to Destin you get with t-shirts for sale showing the restaurant. Whether it is AJ's, Lucky Snapper, Harbor Docks, even the new(er) Dewey Destin's(all of them, way too expensive now for what you get and frankly, a tourist trap....makes me sad), Flounders and on and on.

I do like the restaurant in Gulf Breeze that Kenny turned me on to and I will keep it quiet and respond to p/m's as well as and was wondering if you had every heard of it....the Oyster Barn right on Pensacola Bay (East Bay, I think....EBB will probably know it.) Peglegs is decent too but even they kind of have the touristy thing going a bit.

I am with you though on the concept and I think it may do even better on the mainland vs the beach area!
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:24 am

Definitely not on the beach, and not on #98. Needs to be non-prime property. location not having to be the draw. The type of place that "word of mouth" is the main (always the best) form of advertising. Chains and traps look for prime property and need that for survival because they don't get the repeat traffic like the place I invision.

Profit is in #s, not in per plate, yet food is superb. The ones I know to be succesful are more like high volume BBQ restaurants. They remind you of the old "mom & pop's" or cat fish restaurants that depend on good food to bring repeats, not the view, not the expectation of spectacular gormet, not manufactured ambience, just good ole, finger licking, seafood that the whole family can enjoy and beg dad to take them back to.

Needs to be close to avoid a long drive but, again, not on prime property so overhead can be kept minimal. Someone looking to impress a date will not pick this type of place but a family looking for a good food experience at a fair price would pick it every time. Locals would go so to give the family cook (mom or dad) a day off. Snow birds would frequent because the prices are more to thier liking. Specials would depend on availability, not on a chef's whim. Lunches would appeal to the blue collar workers as well as the tourists wanting lunch to be thier main meal.

This would not be like the restaurants found back home but would have fresh local, cobia, flounder, pompano, whiting, grouper, snapper, etc. when available. Would be cooked in such a way as to become known as "Navarre Style" seafood just as "Calabash Style" or "New Orlean's Style" has become known. The local chains would have to copy to get any business.
Last edited by David on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
mfhurst

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 am

We visit Navarre every year for the kids we visit the chain crap resturants but then I always try to ask some local people where they like to eat. So since we are on the Subject I need to know LOCALS where to eat in and around Navarre..... If you say Fudpukers I will throw sand in your face when I get there in July, LOL..... Just the Hubby and I this year so thank god I do not have to go to Joes or Fudpukers.... I don't even have to leave Navarre Beach if I don't want to... YEAH....
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:43 am

How about Alphy's? (former Sugerloaf location) - not on beach, not on 98, close, not a chain (I'm told, run by former chef of Cowboys?).
Haven't eaten there (yet) - not a huge fried catfish fan (and need to avoid fried anything more than I do) - but have heard good things.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”