What Would You Like to See Come to Navarre Beach

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.

Do you want to see commercial growth

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 24
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:21 am

Pete, I have also heard good things about Alphy's but I don't believe we can call fresh water catfish local seafood. They are available year round though. You are right, they are best served fried and usually make for a fairly inexpensive meal. I have to avoid fried as well but some fried whiting hit my tummy more often than they should.

Catfish are farm raised and we may have some raised fairly close in Alabama and there are Florida farms in the Tallahassee area, maybe some close by. Many farmers have turned to that as a better source of income than regular farming. Believe it or not, cobia may be our next big (body and volume) farm raised fish to find marketed just like catfish and talapia. They have experimented in South Florida brakish water for quite a while and are marketed in some areas since 2007. Some imports are coming from places like Nam.

I invision local seafood found in the Gulf and our close brackish waters though fresh water catfish might be an add on item for the menu, especially in the winter, along with gumbo, chowders, etc.. Fried might be the choice of most but broiled and char grilled would follow closely. Properly grilled cobia is to die for but would be limited by season unless farm raised is available. Volume is key and purchasing would have to be watched closely, much of it picked up by thier own truck, purchased as directly as possible with what could be bought from local comercial fishermen. In Destin I used to buy directly from the boats which may still be possible with proper licenses if boats can be found (Destin, P'cola) that are not commited to wholesalers.
Last edited by David on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:32 am

About 6 years ago, I was on Redondo Beach CA on business. The gentleman I was training with took me to a restaurant right on the beach. When you walked in, there was a glass case of approximately 10-12 different fish (fillets & steaks). You picked which fish you would like and then the next step was to tell them, "how" you wanted it cooked. Came with hushpuppies of some sort (how can CA make good hushpuppies) and cole slaw. The big seller was charbroiled.

That is something I would like to see in Navarre. Take Joe Patti's or Navarre Seafood and add a restaurant variable to it!
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Agreed P'cola, many good seafood restaurants spring from someone who wholesales or markets, many having thier own boats. They are thier own suppliers and it gives them tremendous latitude and savings. The best, though, are right next to the boats that supply.

Captain Dave's in Destin took great advantage by having his own comercial snapper/grouper boat docked right beside his restaurant. His family (Marler) owning the land since forever was an advantage as well. Same advantage experienced by the Patti's in Pensacola.

We don't have that advantage in Navarre of having the commercial boats, shrimp and fish, within shouting distance but young David and his family (Navarre Seafood) may be the next "seafood family" for Navarre. He is taking it slow, one step at a time, has his own fridged truck and a boat, now making trips to Appalachicola, etc.. I have experienced that many of the distributors working the area are an independent lot and not exactly dependable, even the ones that supply bait, so David is on the right track. He has the needed personality and desire to please as well. Will have an oyster bar soon and who knows what the future might bring. I wish him the best, have since I first met him, credit him with having a great deal of common sense, a lost commonity these days in many youngsters and adults.
Last edited by David on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
mfhurst

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Okay not changing the subject, cause I truly love to eat at real resturants rather than a chain. But can anyone help me out with a Condo that will rent on a daily basis during July on Navarre Beach. We can't stay the whole week cause we have a child be have to get off on a Church mission trip and be back in time to pick her up. So we are just staying like 5 days Monday through Friday, need a good deal just the old man and I this year.
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Summerwind (3 tall next to pier) has one of it's highrises that rent short term as a motel, even during season. Other than that I believe you are stuck with motels on the mainland or pay for a full week at another condo, these folks have to recupe thier money when they can.
David
mfhurst

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Yeah that's what I figured, oh well I am glad to help out with the recouping..... I don't really care to be that close to the pier to busy.. I prefer Navarre Towers or West of there..... Appreciate your help... May have to sleep under the pier, LOL.....
nanaof4inavamo

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:54 pm

My husband and I come to NavarreBeach because it is just "beach." I hope you don't add anything to it. It is perfect as it is.
mfhurst

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:41 am

Found a condo in Sundunes, perfect on the beach same price we were quoted on soundside..... But to be anywhere on Navarre Beach is priceless......... Can't wait for July......
David
Power User
Power User

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:59 pm

:D
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:17 am

Sundunes appears to be very nice. And, I have heard some good things about it. Dolfnfan, I believe said he had stayed there? It is the tallest one on the western end.
mfhurst

Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:26 am

Yeah, it's on Navarre Beach, can't be a bad place.........
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:32 am

Does Navarre have any type of Sports bar establishment. I am speaking of a sizeable place that has big screens, nice sized bar, pool tables, darts, shuffle board tables, etc.?
mfhurst

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:34 am

Juanitas what more could you want
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Do ya mean Juanas? Don't believe they have pool tables, dart boards, and shuffleboard.

P'cola, I believe you would have to go to Ft. Walton or Pensacola to find a true "sport's bar" with all the things mentioned.

Hey, the pier deck is almost finished. They recieved shipment of a bunch of stools today and are in process of building a small bandstand. Are ya ready for raggae, maybe a little "parrot head" music, on the beach???
David
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:17 pm

P'Kid, East Bay smokehouse on 87 might fit your request. Not xactly a sports bar but they have a lot of the things you mentioned. And good bar-b-Q.
To add to David's comment about pier, saw cobia sandwiches on the menu, haven't had one yet but plan to soon.
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”