Good News For Navarre Beach

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:52 pm

I just saw on the WEAR-TV 4 pm news that the Holiday Inn is going to be rebuilt! The owner has committed to it. So everyone who wanted to see the Holiday Inn back on the beach will get their wish ... by 2014. I used to love their brunches, especially on Mother's Day.

Now, if we could just get some info on the Beach Monkey building, we could be jumping up and clicking our heels! :lol:
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:36 am

That is wonderful news. If it happens, I will be anxious to see if they build it on pilings this time. It is not a matter of, "if" another Cat 3-5 hurricane will hit the Panhandle but rather, "when."

I got word from the horses mouth last week that a group is considering buying the property formerly known as, The Beach Monkey. Can not reveal my source but can only say they are exploring the idea at this very moment.
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:15 am

The Replacement of the old Holiday Inn will benefit all businesses in SRC. Folks will come to stay a few days at the Holiday Inn like they did before the hurricanes. They will then come back and rent Condo's and Beach houses for long term rentals once they have been introduced to the beauty of Navarre Beach. Finally some good news on a replacement private business on that beach front property. 8)
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:11 am

Any new buildings that are constructed on Navarre Beach require that the buildings be erected on pilings. I believe the current flood zone code for Navarre Beach requires that the first elevation be 20 feet above sea level. To put this in perspective The Belle Mer condo's first elevated floor is 20 feet above sea level. The storm surge of Hurricane’s Opal, Ivan and Dennis did not destroy the first elevated level of The Belle Mer. I know what I’m talking about because I owned a condo unit on the first level of The Belle Mer during Ivan and Dennis.

Another advantage to the Holiday Inn being on pilings is that they can construct the pool and pool deck on the first elevated floor. The Belle Mer pool and pool deck is on the first elevated floor with the area below used as a garage and storage. The pool is tied into the pilings and this is why the Belle Mer pool was the only pool that survived the storm surge of Hurricane Ivan and Dennis. I would think that the Holiday Inn will do the same thing with the lower level used for parking.

So will the Holiday Inn be built on pilings? You Betcha!
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:28 am

Exellent! I know the new Holiday Inn will bring happiness and memories to many. Thank you Kenny for the clarification. Let us hope that it is many many years before another storm hits.
kcblond

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 pm

I said,,, way back when, when Cocodries closed. Its a shame some group doesnt see the value in that spot and ambiance on the beach. I was thinking Jimmy Buffett could do a super great place there. Instead, he opened that place in Pensacola which is cold stiff and unfriendly. Hope someone who appreciates the location gives us a "happy place "...
Ginny
THE HARDEST THING IS TO KNOW WHICH BRIDGE TO CROSS AND WHICH TO BURN
Mark B.M.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:04 pm

Heard a "rumor" of a Margaritta Ville at old Beach Monkey, but I believe it fell through.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:25 pm

I personally know one party that is considering doing something with that place. Although they are only considering things at this time, I would be hard pressed to believe it would have anything to do with Margaritaville. However, Mark, you may know something I don't. I do not think that concept would go over well. I do not believe it is thriving in Pensacola...again, I may completely wrong about that?
wregle
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:19 pm

As much as I love Margarittaville it would surprise me if it came to the Beach Monkey. The building is for lease not for sale. The hotel in Pensacola may not be doing well but I think all the restaurants are. The hotel is amazing but a little pricey I think. Jimmy (or his organization) put a lot of money in them to make sure they are first class establishments. All the staff i have ever encountered are some of the best around. It would certainly not be an embarrassment to Navarre Beach but I find it hard to believe they would be interested in leasing.
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”