Keep Navarre Beach Navarre Beach

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.
BRBeachGirl

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:41 pm

My family and I have been spending two weeks every summer on Navarre Beach since the early eighties. We have stayed in different houses on the beach, and storms have ruined 5 of them over the years. However, we have been lucky enough to continue to find beach front homes to rent, and I live for my two weeks in Navarre.

Every time a storm hits, we see more condos and fewer homes being rebuilt. I hope that: #1, Navarre resists the greed to turn into Destin, with nothing but high rises and crowded beaches and #2, Single family homes continue to be available for rent. Navarre is too special to turn into another high-rise, over-commercialized beach. It seems to be creeping in that direction, much to my dismay.

Kenny, thanks for the opportunity to check in on our other home. I check the beach by webcam every day, and now can talk about it as well.
Tisa

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:39 pm

Hi Beach girl and welcome. I am new to the area, and love it. Everyone is nice and friendly and NB is the best. I think the locals will try to keep it from becoming another Destin, at least we can all hope for that.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:39 pm

BRbeachgirl and Tisa,

I have been coming to Navarre Beach and the Pensacola area now since the late 60's both for pleasure and business as was most recently the case. I, along with many others on here remember when there was not even a grocery store in Navarre nor a bank, let alone 16 story towers, which I personally feel reflects negatively on the area. For the most part there were only single story, cinderblock homes just on the beach and just across the street. I firmly and wholeheartedly agree with what you said and hopefully Navarre/Navarre Beach will remain somewhat similar to what we have now. There are several factors that may influence what N/NB looks like in 10 years. First is the economy and the supply and demand of the properties. Sadly, the ol' cliche of, "if they build it, they will come" seems to ring true with the area. It does not matter what they look like, how much beach they take up, what they do to the environment or beach or how much they cost. If something is built, there will be people buying them just to say they have a piece of the island. I would prefer people buying what is there and restoring it , be it a house, condo, townhome, soundside, beachside or whatever. There are plenty of deals to be made that would not involve building on another square foot. Secondly, should another Cat 4-5 hit there and take out the island again, I feel there would be far less building for obvious reasons besides the fact that only the filthiest of the rich would be able to afford the insurance. I do not want another storm like or worse than Ivan but that would be a factor that would shape the area. Lastly, with the new liquor law passing, there will be over the next 3-7 years a multitude of national chain entities that will spring up around the area and that will create growth, in addition to the "original" places that will no doubt come along as well. Nothing wrong with that but it will indeed change the logistics and demographics of the Panhandle. The very best memories I have of my family and friends have all involved Navarre Beach. Personally, I feel there is not another place like it in the entire world, nothing can compare and I would not take every dollar in the world for even a minute of those memories erased from my mind. All I can say is unless you have a bottomless checkbook like say, Tiger Woods, enjoy the time now and the memories you create and pray that it will be around for your kids and grandkids to enjoy.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:47 pm

There is absolutely no question the time has come to STOP the condo building. Restaurants and another Holiday Inn are another story. I have had plenty of good times at the old Holiday Inn and yes, someone needs to bring to the area some original concepts. Yes, the Applebee's and Chilis and Logan Steakhouses serve a purpose but compared to original places, they don't!

I fear the next massive storm that takes out the new beach or most of it will put a damper on high rise building. Like they say, it is not a matter of "if", it is a matter of "when". The NB/Pensacola area will get hit hard again and over the next 50 years perhaps a few times.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:47 pm

Definitely a freeze on highrises, IMHO! The ones already there fill the needs quite adequately especially considering the infrastructure, are esthetically positioned and should be maintained in the best possible way but any more would be a terrible detraction from the natural beauty that abounds.

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:54 am

Very true Angelgirl!

I would very much like to hear from someone that is completely neutral (the key word here is neutral) on this issue as to how many condos there are as of September 1, 2006. This would include having all the existing buildings now that are still in the proccess of being rebuilt. I am speaking of individual units, not buildings. Of that total, I would like to know how many are inhabited full time and how many from say April 1 through September 1.

I have no way of knowing for sure and am ignorant on this issue but I would bet a pretty penny that there are far more available units than there are buyers or owners. In other words, for those that are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, one could buy a unit right now with having to wait on another highrise to rise. I would also bet there are several townhomes available for wheeling and dealing.

All thoughts, insight or opinions are welcomed!
BRBeachGirl

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:42 pm

I am so glad that I am not alone in wanting to stop the high rise blight at Navarre! Thanks for responding.

I am not against a new hotel. It would be great to have a place you could use for 1-2 nights on the beach as you pass through. I have stayed on Pensacola Beach for a night because there was no place to stay on the beach at Navarre for one or two nights.

As long as the restaurants, bars, etc don't turn into Big Kahuna Waterslides and the like, again, no problem. Plenty of that to do down the road, east or west.

Again, good to hear from everyone who loves Navarre as it is!
navarrebum

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:38 am

Did you know that Summerwinds rents as a Condo-Hotel and will rent for one or two nights or for how many nights you would like to stay on Navarre Beach!!!
tes

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:46 am

Since we are speaking about overdevelopment, what is the status of the Port Navarre project on Navarre Beach, across from the Holiday Inn site? Last I heard was that it would break ground this summer.
BRBeachGirl

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:08 pm

Glad to know about Summerwinds. I thought all of them had a 3 night minimum.

Beach looks beautiful! Good to see the sea oats taking hold.

Oh for retirement!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:42 pm

That is indeed good, pertinent information about Summerwinds, thanks!

As for the lawyers fighting, I hope they fight about it for the next 20-30 years. Navarre Beach does NOT need a Port Navarre. The next thing you know if they build that thing then a "cut" will be approved, then a harbor built and then a Big Kahuna and Nightown and before you know it, we will have Destin East and Destin West. Let us hope and pray that does not happen. It has been said on here a few times but quite literally there is no place left like NB. Once that is gone, then the fat lady has sung and the party is over! Just one fan's opinion!
BRBeachGirl

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:25 pm

Amen, I say, amen, pensacolakid. One time while staying in Navarre, we drove down the coast in search of other similar beaches. None, not a one. Its in a class all its own. It would be a tragedy to lose its laid back family nature.
Tisa

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:07 pm

Ok I know I am going to get slammed on this, but I happen to like Destin and think it is pretty. There is allot of growth and businesses yes, but that contributes to jobs for our locals.

I also wish there was a nice hotel on NB that folks could stay at, instead of just at PB. I wish NB and Navarre Mainland had more restaurants than what we have, I do hate the fact of having to drive clear into Destin or Pensacola for like Joes Crab Shack etc.

I also agree with Pkid who posted that they bet there are allot of condos for sale/rent and available for folks that can afford them. But the prices just seem to stay up and no one seems to want to wheel and deal. Why is that I ask :?: That is sad, because I'm sure there are folks out there who would take care of these units and be proud to own them or even rent them on a long term basis. Folks tend to cringe at renters, but some of the best and cleanest folks I know, have been long term tenants.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:47 pm

Tisa,

No slamming from the "kid!" Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and frankly, Destin does indeed have some very good qualities. I for one like many of the restaurants there. I think they have the best Bait and Tackle in the Panhandle (Half Hitch B&T). I love taking my daughter to the Big Kahuna one night while we are down there. We ride the go carts after taking in dinner and the dolphin cruise which is also out of Destin and we love that. So there are some redeaming (is that how you spell that?) qualities. I was a science major not English!!! However, the growth that Destin has experienced over the past 25 years and continues to experience is just out of sight! The traffic is horrendous, the rents absurd and in my humble opinion, despite some good things Destin has to offer, NB is still #1 in my heart, mind and soul! Ain't No Place Like It!

By the way, isn't it refreshing to be on a forum and not have the bickering, fighting, arguing, name calling, etc. that the PNJ had. Yes, I was part of that at one point and I am embarrassed to say so. Was a trying time for me during that PNJ period. I was not practicing what I preach!
TJ

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:46 pm

Just read some of the responses regarding rentals. Sugar Beach also allows one and two day rentals. Each unit's owner had the opportunity to state whether they wanted to rent for less than 3 days and I know some of the Sugar Beach ones do!

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”