Possible Zoning Change for NB Holidome property

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:27 am

On todays agenda of the SRC BOCC planning meeting a zoning change is being proposed for the old Holidome (Old Holiday Inn) property. The proposal is to change the NB zoning from H-NB (Hotel NB) and NB Hight Density Residntial to NB-C (NB Commercial)
I understand that the Navarre Press will have an article on this in Thrusdays Weekly Paper.
Does anyone know what this change in commercial zoning is all about? If so please post as many of us do not suscribe to NP.
livinglarge
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 am

It is my understanding that the change to NB Commerical will allow a more outdoor party atmosphere which will be like the noise problems at the pier, and SummerWinds.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:48 pm

So, you're saying "there goes the neighborhood"!!?? We loved the "peaceful" end of the beach, not that NB has nearly the noise pollution that other beaches do ... but still, it comes on in little increments here and there ... and before you know it, PENSACOLA BEACH or DESTIN!!!

:?
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
livinglarge
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:40 pm

you got it!! there is a group from Navarre Towers that have a letter writing to the commissioners to stop this reclassification and leave the building code as is. it is my understanding that the owner of the Holiday Inn is not asking for this change. this is totally the commissioners.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Do previous guests of Navarre Tower's owners count? If so, we'll gladly add a letter to the mix!

A.G.
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
livinglarge
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:38 pm

a e-mail from a attendee at the meeting this morning

Hi All,

The commissioners this morning seemed to indicate a shift in sentiment toward the Holiday Inn zoning we at NT would like, but they did not commit. They will do more on Thursday (meeting at 9:30AM and probably again at 6PM). We will keep you updated. Again, thank you for all the e-mails and to those of you who attend.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm

LL, thanks for keeping us out-of-towners in the loop!

8)
A.G.
AngelGirl

livinglarge
Power User
Power User

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 pm

The latest update

It appears the Holiday Inn property will not be designated ‘Commercial’. The zoning question is being sent from the commissioners back to the zoning board. They are to develop a category that will include a hotel and allow the many amenities typical of a hotel resort being built along the coastline in today’s world. We were fortunate the attorney for the current property owner appeared before the commissioners.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:44 am

Old Holiday Inn Property Update

Navarre Beach has been well represented at all of the County Commissioners at the Public Meetings the past couple of weeks. Thanks to your emails and attendance at these Hearings, the County Commissioners have instructed their staff to create a Hotel/Motel Zoning category to include "some out buildings for amenities such as restaurants, Gift shops, and lounges. All of the ordinary things you find up and down the Florida coast."
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
RoBear

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:51 am

So....They want to make it like the Emerald Grand in Destin??
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:10 pm

I rather doubt it will look like that mega million monstrosity in Destin. I would prefer a very scaled down Baytown Warf type of hotel and complex but who am I to say. However, it is still America and sometimes if folks have the long term leasehold they should have a right to venture their capital and spend what they desire on a hotel and auxiliary ammenities if that is what the original long term lease and zoning allows them to do. According to the master plan for NB reportedly there is only 5% designated for the commercial zone building so with limited space and access NB is not in danger of becoming a Destin or PNS Beach.
I loved the Holiday Inn years ago and hope a replacement hotel is built after 10 years of no hotels and few restaurants on NB.
Just my two cents worth on this project. 8)
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 pm

I am 100% supportive of the County Commissioners approving the changing of the property zoning to allow the owners of the original Holiday Inn to re-build their hotel that was destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 16, 2004. The re-zoning will allow for Hotel and Commercial so that the new hotel can add out buildings for amenities such as restaurants, Gift shops, and lounges.

The owners have not decided whether to keep the Holiday Inn brand name. The owners own all the property from Beach View to the Navarre Towers. This is a huge tract of land and my source at a local restaurant last night says that the hotel may have 16 stories with another story for parking. Navarre Beach needs a hotel for folks that want to make a reservation for just 1 or 2 days and longer.

The hotel will have to be re-built on pilings to conform to current flood zone regulations. This property is within the first mile of the beach between the Fishing Pier and Navarre Towers.

The Navarre Beach Master Plan does not allow for another high-rise building west of Belle Mer, which is adjacent to Navarre Towers. The last 3 miles west of the Belle Mer is protected from the building of a high-rise building and this stretch of beach is too close to Gulf Blvd. making it almost impossible to create required parking space.

The re-building of the Holiday Inn is not going to turn Navarre Beach into another Destin. The owners of this property last year re-built the new Holiday Inn on Pensacola Beach. I believe they also own the Hilton Hotel and other hotels on Pensacola Beach. These are the type of owners that have the cash to build a first class hotel that Navarre Beach would be proud of.

Therefore, I will do everything that I can to support the re-building of the old Holiday Inn property. I will be sending a letter to all (5) County Commissioners lending my support of rezoning this worthwhile project.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”