Hotel re-zoning.....

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:49 am

Would very much welcome having a cold one or cup of coffee with a new NBLF member, Elizabeth. I have many good friends on this forum and am a better person for it. Again, incredible gratitude must be given to Kenny Wilder for initiating the forum and for keeping it going.
Last edited by PensacolaKid on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:18 am

Hotel Re-Zoning on NB.
I am all for rebuilding the Holiday Inn Hotel property and encouraging more private investment on NB. I am all for the Hotel investors and optomistic folks on that. I would like to see Palms of Navarre LLC reopened. I would like to see Baracuddas and Footprints rebuilt. I would like to see many of the private leasehold properties that were destroyed in 2004 and 05 rebuild. I would like my small investment on NB to be rented 11 months of the year by great Tourist and Visitors from all over the USA and World. I would like to see controlled growth on NB in accordance with the NB Master Plan. Get local government out of property ownership and micro management of 3 our of 4 commercial businesses on NB.
As Ronald Reagan said; "Government is the problem not the solution".

What else do posters feel would be good for NB and I too do not want Dolly Wood or Destin? :idea:
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:31 am

Here is what I would like to see.

#1 - The Holiday Inn rebuilt with some resemblance to the old one if only on the inside.

#2 - The property that was previously Liolio's, The Fish House, The Palm, Cocodries, The Beach Monkey to become something that is an institution on Navarre Beach. Something that endures the test of time....for instance, Harbor Dock's in Destin, or Flounder's in Pensacola, Staff's in Fort Walton Beach.

I would really like to see Navarre NOT grow but that's just me.

I distinctly remember the days before a grocery store, before cable, before phones in the houses for crying out loud. It was a simpler time then, a more innocent time, a far more relaxing time.
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 pm

I just read today on a Concerned Citizens of Navarre forum that a new resaurant called Rocco's will be opening up in about 6 weeks at the old Cocadries (Palms of Navarre LLC) location on NB. Reportedly it will be a Italian restaurant. Lets hope it becomes a super family friendly restaurant on NB and becomes a eating institution that endures the test of time that PK suggested. 8)
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Navarrebeacher wrote:I just read today on a Concerned Citizens of Navarre forum that a new resaurant called Rocco's will be opening up in about 6 weeks at the old Cocadries (Palms of Navarre LLC) location on NB. Reportedly it will be a Italian restaurant. Lets hope it becomes a super family friendly restaurant on NB and becomes a eating institution that endures the test of time that PK suggested. 8)

I saw the sign and we were talking about it here just yesterday:

http://navarrebeachlife.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Navarrebeachlife.com has the news quicker than Facebook!
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Over the next year or two there will be many posts about rebuilding a new hotel at the old Holiday Inn property. In order to keep this information where it’s easy to find, I will create a new and separate Forum this weekend just for this property. All of the past pertinent posts will be moved to this Forum that will be under the “Navarre Beach” Forum. This new Forum will have a new name.

I am open to a title for this new Forum.

Also, I will move all the posts concerning the movie Jaws to this new Forum since this is where many of the actors and crew stayed during the filming.

Any old photos of the Holiday Inn property should be posted on this Forum.

And no the developers have not contacted me or offered me money to create this new Forum. My intentions are not based upon money regarding this exciting new hotel. Everybody will benefit greatly when the hotel is completed.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:14 pm

How about..... "Coming Soon to Navarre" or "Under Construction on the Beach"........... " New Beach Beginnings" "Building on the Beach!"
Always keep a little Beach Day in your heart.

bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:56 am

Navarrebeacher wrote:What else do posters feel would be good for NB and I too do not want Dolly Wood or Destin? :idea:

Navarre Beach has a distinct "feel" to it.

I just wrote a long paragraph full of words that don't go far enough to describe the place so I have deleted it; words don't work well enough, but to sum it up, Navarre has the balance right.

Those of us who live there or want to live there or own property there do so because we love the place so much, as it is.

Navarre Beach is NOT as you rightly say Navarrebeacher, a neon lit monster. Destin and Pensacola Beaches deliver that and good for them.

Navarre delivers something else, it is a different vacation product. My view is that there is something for everyone in the area, just go a few miles along the road is all and that makes NW Florida the vacation destination it is. To remove that variety would be to remove one of the big attractions for me, and I suspect most/all others here.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:12 pm

Here is another article about the proposed hotel at the old Holiday Inn location:

EDITORIAL: Navarre Beach's hotel hunt
NWF Daily News
Published: Friday, February 1, 2013

Good for Santa Rosa County officials and the people of Navarre Beach. Unlike folks in Fort Walton Beach who’ve gone sour on growth, Santa Rosa residents are actually excited about the prospect of a new hotel — perhaps even a high-rise project, 16 stories or so — on the Gulf of Mexico.

It would be Navarre Beach’s only hotel. The last one, the near-legendary Holiday Inn, succumbed to repeated battering by hurricanes in the mid-2000s.

County commissioners held a public hearing last week on rezoning the old Holiday Inn site amid talk of a possible replacement.

“We are on the cusp of getting the hotel back on Navarre Beach,” said Commissioner Jim Melvin. “It was the heart of Navarre Beach. It’s what built the entire community and it’s sorely needed.”

We don’t know about the hotel having built the community, but we do know that the Holiday Inn in its heyday was a sight to behold. Its size, its amenities and its location impressed even Hollywood. In the summer and fall of 1977, Universal Studios used the Holiday Inn at Navarre Beach as its base of operations for filming “Jaws 2.” The crew and most of the cast stayed at the hotel.

In “The Jaws 2 Log,” his 1978 book about the making of the movie, Ray Loynd called the Holiday Inn “a perfectly controlled, self-contained world.”
“Suddenly,” he wrote, “this oasis of calm, broken only by languid tourists bobbing in the indoor and outdoor pools, became a cinematic workshop, the stars mingling with native onlookers … while crowds of curious bathers gingerly approached the fenced-off work area for a sneak preview of the mechanical sharks.”

The Holiday Inn also featured what Mr. Loynd called “the tropical, vaulting Holidome.”

He described it: “This arena of play, one of only two in the Holiday Inn chain, was an AstroTurfed indoor section of the inn, equipped with pools, game rooms, a well-attended bar which featured a local band, three tiers of guest rooms and an abundance of greenery.” Footage from each day’s filming was screened in a theater beneath the bar.

Certainly, Navarre Beach has one grand hotel in its past. Perhaps there’ll be one in its future, too.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:06 am

The majority partner in the house we have on the beach got a notice from the management company recently about the hotel development.

Just updating us all about the fuss last month over zoning changes and that we should expect it to go ahead and not be surprised to see a couple of years of building work, noise and such, almost next door.

So long as they work from 8am until 6pm, I don't mind too much... And of course, the road will get torn up with all the traffic, so I guess we'll also need to deal with that... Oh and the bridge is going to get to be a nightmare with huge trucks on the way in carrying material and then trying to get off the island too.

[not entirely serious] I guess it'll be a topic for complaints for ever now and we can all grumble about it until they are done - heck, life would not be so much fun if we couldn't complain about something or other, would it?

:wink:

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”