Let's Try Establishing the "Health" Forum Again

Everything you always wanted to know about Health but were afraid to ask, and the Affordable Health Care Plan.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Post some messages here and let's see if I finally was able to fix the darn thing. Thanking you in advance.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Beach Spider

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:15 am

Last edited by Beach Spider on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]~ 'SYNERGISTIC SPHERE' ~[/center]
Beach Spider

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:40 am

.]
Last edited by Beach Spider on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]~ 'SYNERGISTIC SPHERE' ~[/center]
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:41 am

Yep, I'm in on this thread, too.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:31 am

Me too! Thanks, Kenny!
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Ok! How many minutes of walking in a pool equal one mile? Need for knee therapy or pre-knee cap surgery.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:23 am

"normal" "walking" speed (note quotes - varies with people) is about 12-15+minutes per mile ("jogging" starts at about 10-12-minutes per mile and lower, "running" definitely under 8-10-min. per mile).
So "walking" for 12-15 minutes in pool would usually be a "mile".
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:36 am

well that makes sense.. :) thank you. Happy Health Day!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:16 am

Pete wrote:"normal" "walking" speed (note quotes - varies with people) is about 12-15+minutes per mile ("jogging" starts at about 10-12-minutes per mile and lower, "running" definitely under 8-10-min. per mile).
So "walking" for 12-15 minutes in pool would usually be a "mile".
Hmm - I hadn't thought of that for my poor ol' wreck-damaged knee! Obviously, it would be more exercise because of the resistance of the water ... I have to think also that the pool "walking" won't be as hard on the joints as it would also be a "low impact" environment.

Thanks to you both for sharing that info!!

8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:12 am

redchaz57 ... A week late, but!!!!!

My wife had her left knee replaced last month. The entire thing, not a partial.

She had a severely frayed meniscus, arthritis in the bones as well as a hairline fracture on one of the bones (I can't recall the 'proper' name for it), that make up the joint itself.

They recommended swimming therapy for her too, but she didn't need it in the end. The Physical Therapist said that being in water provided much more resistance than just walking or jogging, so a little care might be needed, however, come the first day, the P.T. said "Don't bother. I can't do anything to help you."

Why?

All the medical studies we read showed that "aquatic therapy" started about 7 to 10 days post any surgery, reduced recovery times from that surgery substantially. To the point where six months out for a normal patient was reached by those taking this exercise in a supervised environment after just four to five months. In other words, it has been seen to shorten the recovery time by 15 to 20%.

All good news...

My wife however was up and walking (with support) within a day of surgery and just five days after surgery was at the two month point in terms of joint mobility and lack of pain etc. Now at two days after the four week post op stage she is at the four month measures for recovery ALREADY!

She has gone from needing a wheelchair most of the time pre-op, to needing a walker immediately post op and only needed a walking cane for part of the second week. Now she doesn't need any support or help with balance. Oh yes - She didn't even bother with the pain pills after just three days! Amazing. I know I'd be much less strong than she is.

At the ten day operation follow up exam with the surgeon, he was frankly amazed too. She is still slower and taking more care than I would, but as I said, it's just a month after the surgery.

If this is something you are considering, she can recommend it!!!!!!
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator

Return to “Health”