Okay P'Kid, Here is your big fish!

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:39 am

I saw this on the news the other day. That is indeed a big fish.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:53 am

Certainly does not resemble the lake sunfish (bluegills, cherry gills, red-eyed bream, etc.) we catch around these parts! That's not only an extremely large fish ..ya gotta admit, it's kinda weird!
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
EconProf
Power User
Power User

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:34 pm

THIS FISH IS FROM THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE!!!!!

Scientists first thought it was an ocean sunfish commonly seen in the Santa Barbara Channel, but with the help of an online crowd-sourced animal identification site called iNaturalist, an expert based in Australia realized it was actually a hoodwinker sunfish and it was really, really rare.

Only one other sighting of the species has been confirmed in the Northern Hemisphere, a sunfish that was originally misidentified and stored in a museum after it was found on a Dutch Island in 1889.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:01 am

Very interesting. Wonder why it died and found it's way on the beach?

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”