Kayak fishing in December

Kayak & canoe rentals, kayaking , paddle boarding, and canoeing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, Area Rivers, kayak adventures, kayak fishing reports and kayak fishing tournaments. Post your kayaking, paddle boarding and canoeing photos and experiences here.

Navarredude

Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:51 pm

I got a new kayak. Pescador 12'.......is it too cold to go out in the water in Jan? I'm itching to fish. Also is there a group or something in Navarre that gets together and kayak fish?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:33 am

Kayak Dave will probably be on here shortly (maybe today, who knows?) but I'm pretty sure he's the guy to answer your questions in this regard!

8)
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Navarredude

Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:39 pm

Cool I'm a newbie. I would love some local tips or any info would be great. Like what to fish for, what kinda rig should I set up and best times to go.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:42 am

You might consider sending Kayak Dave a pm ... I know that some of the other fishing enthusiasts are "under the weather" at the moment and may not be checking out the forum! Kinda slow this time of year.

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:19 am

Sorry I took a while getting back to you. I am not the most knowledgeable person about kayak fishing, the fishing bug has never bit me too hard, I'm more into the joy of kayaking. But it is a very effective fishing tool. A place to really get some info is at http://www.gulfcoastkayakfishing.com/index.htm. I don't believe there is a formal fishing group here in Navarre, but a lot of Navarre kayakers belong to Gulf Coast Kayaking. There are a lot of kayak fishers that are glad to share tips and tricks with newbies.
As I said the kayak is only a tool but our forums main fishing man David, used to do some kayak fishing and has talked about getting back into it. Hook up with David, he knows more about fishing than one person can learn. Get him back out there and I will furnish the kayak if you will help him out with the loading/unloading. You have a very good kayak, it's the one I would buy if I were to buy ANOTHER kayak.
Feel free to call me anytime and i'll help you any way I can.
Attachments
Kevin fishing kayak.jpg
Kevin fishing kayak.jpg (385.54 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks Dave for the kudos, not sure they are deserved!

Ndude,

Most of my yak fishing was inland rather than the Gulf because my yak was not a self bailer as yours. You made a great choice and it will do well for Gulf and inland. Dave is right, I have been thinking of buying another yak, sold mine after surgery because of it's weight and it's limited use in the Gulf. I really miss the closeness of fish and a yak puts you in places that you can not go when wade fishing, and that certainly applies to the Gulf.

I do, as Dave, recommend the Gulf Coast Club. I know some of their members who are some of the best fisherman found. You can keep up with their activities on local fishing forums. They also have organized tournaments and fishing outings , some are held on Navarre Beach. One of their members is a lady with more yak catches (kings, tuna, cobia, etc.) to brag about than her husband, also a great fisherman and a super custom rod builder. They live in P.City but used to be more local and come here to fish often.

Since there isn't much to fish for in the Gulf, within your range right now, other than bonita, blues and maybe a stray, I would recommend getting used to yak fishing by catching some reds and trout in the sound. It will make the Gulf much more fun, come spring and summer, when you are comfortable with your yak and gear. Use smaller rods in the sound so that the larger rods you might use in the Gulf will not feel uncomfortable with the larger fish you might catch.

Most of the yak fishermen target kings to start with and a good king rod will handle most larger fish from the yak. Keep your rods shorter than the ones used on the piers or beach since casting distance is not your goal when you can paddle closer to sighted fish and it will make things easier when landing a fish. Baits will be the same as pier, be it natural or artificial. Try to limit your rods and tackle, 3 rods at most (one small for catching bait fish, one to cast and one to troll behind the yak. Remembering how tough it would be to handle 2 large fish at the same time, most yak fishermen will be bouncing the bottom with the troll rod for something like flounder while casting the other. Try to have rods that are adaptable to different species and different bait and technique using the same rod.

To many things to cover like this but as you have different ?s please ask and I will try to help or point you to the ones that can.

If not used to the Gulf in a yak, I would definitely go out with others and always have your vest on your body, many self inflating are available and comfortable to wear all day. Keep yourself and your gear tethered to the yak, both are too valuable to lose.
David

Return to “Navarre Beach Kayaking, Paddle Boarding & Canoeing”