Umbrella & Tent City

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:38 am

Boy, in looking at the webcam, it is amazing the number of tents and umbrellas over on the "happenin'" East side of the island. All that blue and butted up next to one another, it is almost like a little exciting city, isn't it? :shock:

I guess if you are in the second row, you have to either walk through another camp or walk around. However, think how many people there are right around your camp in case you needed some help or wanted to borrow a water or really anything.
Nidrah

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:42 pm

I've been caught up in the happenings of the east side...NOT FUN.

Thankful for those who rent out a few condos on the west side, as a house would be way too much for my family.
Trader

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:59 pm

I first noticed the umbrella/tent city in early May but didn't comment on it. To me it looks like a zoo or circus. That one stretch of beach is more crowded than anything on Perdido Key, Orange Beach or Gulf Shores. This has caused us to think of retiring somewhere less crowded. That public sprawl could eventually spill into the residential.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 am

That is why West is best. 8)
marko

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:16 am

Seems relevant.

[video][/video]
iowajake

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:40 am

We stayed at Navarre Towers last week, and were commenting on how crowded the east end looked. Became very evident as we walked the pier. would not want to be in the 2nd row! that being said, we brought our own chairs and we ended up walking to basically where the old holiday inn was, as all the chairs/umbrellas were set up by roughly 7 every morning. i didn't care for how there was no room for us to set up in fron of the Towers close to the beach, but got over it quickly, as we had "our space" with several other families not willing to pay for the blue chairs.
Nidrah

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:00 am

iowajake wrote:We stayed at Navarre Towers last week, and were commenting on how crowded the east end looked. Became very evident as we walked the pier. would not want to be in the 2nd row! that being said, we brought our own chairs and we ended up walking to basically where the old holiday inn was, as all the chairs/umbrellas were set up by roughly 7 every morning. i didn't care for how there was no room for us to set up in fron of the Towers close to the beach, but got over it quickly, as we had "our space" with several other families not willing to pay for the blue chairs.
We stayed at Navarre Towers the week before you did. While we do use the beach service, I did notice that they left no extra room for others, which I thought was odd. The beach service was lined up from what looked like one end of the property line to the other. AND, the chairs were very close and cramped together, which I didn't like. It seemed that they weren't all sold either, lots of empty chairs, which makes me wonder why they put them so close together and/or why they had so many out.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:46 am

I am just gonna say it....to see the amount and closeness of the umbrella city on the webcams, for the life of me, I do not know how or why people would tolerate that for even a half of one day. I realize there are the rare exceptions of physical challenges that may require a specific property that would automatically place one in that position but for the remainder (willing to rent those high rises), the shots I am getting and the live shots I have viewed from that beach and the pier, it is beach insanity. That is worse than Galveston. Great for the Navarre Beach economy and if one is willing to endure, more power to them but ......no way in H.E. double toothpicks for this kid!! :shock:
Sandstomper

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:52 pm

I agree! If I want that kind of congestion, I'll take a drive around Atlanta. Who in their right mind would want to be sitting so close to the next person, even if you're related. I always take my own beach utilities and if people get too close, I'll get up and move to a less crowded area.

Not for me either, P'Kid!!
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:57 pm

Absolutely Sandstomper! I darn sure don't want that many people, all of whom I don't know and their multiple music choices blaring, right in my ear every single minute. Destin has the same thing. Gulf Shores the same area, Panama City. I don't know what propels anyone to voluntarily choose that but they do and more power to them for their endurance. I have always said that the EAST side of Navarre Beach was the "happening" place. I guess they took my advice!!!! :shock:

Go EAST people, there are still plenty of inches left for your beach excitement! There is absolutely nothing to do or happening on the west end. :| Seagull's don't even go down there!!!
Sandstomper

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:10 pm

It seems to be largely confined to the condo areas, as my go to spot is the east side of the pier. I do take an umbrella as do many folks, but it doesn't seem to harbor the same congestion as the rental chair/umbrella areas.

I'm not one who has to be on the front row, so I can always find an area where I'm not sitting on someone else's lap. And, there is usually more room to relo if someone is being abusive with their loud music, smoking, loud children, etc.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:31 pm

I know that I wold blow a gasket over those chairs if I was staying in an east end condo! I can see myself picking up 5 or 6 of those chairs and moving them out to clear a space for MY beach chair and umbrella. And then I'd cause a scene when the little chair dude came over to chew me out. It is a PUBLIC beach and they cannot inhibit access to any portion of it for any reason. They have essentially converted the beach into their own real estate fiefdom because they have used up every square inch of beach and there there is no open beach set aside for people to set up THEIR OWN chairs. You're forced to pay for a spot, because there are no other spots! Or walk a couple hundred yards down the beach to find a clear spot, and that's NOT what I'm paying $250+ per night for.

It's a shakedown, pure and simple. They should be allowed to set up chairs, but it should also be mandatory that there is at least as much open beach area as there is chaired area.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
Nidrah

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:30 pm

dolfnfan wrote:They have essentially converted the beach into their own real estate fiefdom because they have used up every square inch of beach and there there is no open beach set aside for people to set up THEIR OWN chairs. You're forced to pay for a spot, because there are no other spots! Or walk a couple hundred yards down the beach to find a clear spot, and that's NOT what I'm paying $250+ per night for.

It's a shakedown, pure and simple. They should be allowed to set up chairs, but it should also be mandatory that there is at least as much open beach area as there is chaired area.
You are so right!

I will add that last year we did stay at Belle Mer and used the beach service. The chairs were not that close together! And it seemed like others had room to set up tents. Everyone was happy and relaxed!

This year, the chairs were undoubtedly on top of each other. Plus, the fact that everyone was crowded together in the few clear spot in the water ..well...it wasn't good! Everyone just seemed pissy!

I will add, in our condo, there was a note that stated the owners recommended one beach service. The service we had, and the only one I found at our condo was some other company. Could these two companies be competing? Is there some turf/sand war going on causing the over crowding?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:25 am

I have never stayed in one of the high rises, nor will I ever stay in one. However, could someone help me understand the appeal of them? It does not sound as if they are any cheaper than condos/townhouses or homes on the island? What do you get for the rental purchase. Again, I understand a couple of them have "handicapped" facilities and that is obviously a, "no-brainer" but otherwise, what is the appeal, what do they offer?

I remember the day when I heard they were going to start being built and it broke my heart.
Nidrah

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:27 am

PensacolaKid wrote:I have never stayed in one of the high rises, nor will I ever stay in one. However, could someone help me understand the appeal of them? It does not sound as if they are any cheaper than condos/townhouses or homes on the island? What do you get for the rental purchase. Again, I understand a couple of them have "handicapped" facilities and that is obviously a, "no-brainer" but otherwise, what is the appeal, what do they offer?

I remember the day when I heard they were going to start being built and it broke my heart.
Honestly, I haven't looked at houses at Navarre that much. I have researched them at them other places. Most all of the time, condos are a lot cheaper than a house.

I personally like places that are gulf front and have a swimming pool. I do not like walking across the street to access the beach. If I'm at the beach I want to hear and see the ocean off my balcony. As far as a the swimming pool, when our kids were younger, it gave them something to do at night. Now that they are older, that may not be such a necessity as it has been. But when the water was so bad the week we were there, the pool came in handy.

If you can recommend a House that has all of the above and is 2 to 3 bedroom, I'll be happy to look into it.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”