"Save A Flightless Chick": Window and Bumper Stickers

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Sandstomper wrote:Great info on The Black Skimmers. I did not know too much about them, but have learned a great deal with this post. Since I have not been in Navarre during the volunteer times to help with fencing etc., I did want to support the effort by purchasing the Save The Flightless Chicks stickers. Am I the only one to have seen them around or does anyone have a lead on where to purchase. Google has been of no help.

Thanks!
Sandstomper,

The "Save A Flightless Chick" banners actually are magnets for a vehicle that is metal. They are FREE at the Navarre Visitors Center. I picked up about 10 of them this afternoon. I placed one on the back of my car next to my tag.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Sandstomper

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:30 am

Thanks Kenny! We looked all over the place last week while we were down. Except the Visitor's Center :(
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:41 am

Yesterday the first place I went was the Navarre Visitors Center. I figured they would be the first to get them. The detachable magnet design is really cool and again are FREE. They are distributed by the Gulf Islands National Seashore and can also be obtained at the store at Fort Pickens.

I'll post a photo today with one on my car.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
wregle
Power User
Power User

Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:42 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:
Number three, is that particular area of the causeway a natural nesting area for Black Skimmers or was it somehow man made? I know that sounds a little nuts but I do not recall say 5 years ago, 10 years ago, having Black Skimmers there? I thought they were more in the Sound area or the National Seashore areas?
Like you, we have been coming to Navarre for close to 30 yrs. In May 2007, my sister and I took our mother to Navarre for the first time for her 83rd birthday. It was the first time I had ever seen the skimmers. We had a great time with our mother. Unfortunately when we got home, she was diagnosed with cancer and passed away in September of the same year. The skimmers now hold a very special place in my heart and we always try to go in May when they first start nesting. They have not disappointed!
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:03 am

Well Wregle, that is a very dear memory then and the cute little Black Skimmers every single time you see one, you can remember your mom. My mom just recently passed away on April 4. I took her remains and that of my dad and buried them at Navarre Beach. Not that I needed a final resting place for them to remember them or NB but I do feel a sense of peace every time I am there. Although my faith tells for for an absolute fact, it is only dust and they are far above and beyond the sands of Navarre Beach. They are with THE GREAT BEACH BUILDER!!! And the little Black Skimmer builder!!! :D
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:47 pm

wregle wrote:
PensacolaKid wrote:
Number three, is that particular area of the causeway a natural nesting area for Black Skimmers or was it somehow man made? I know that sounds a little nuts but I do not recall say 5 years ago, 10 years ago, having Black Skimmers there? I thought they were more in the Sound area or the National Seashore areas?
Like you, we have been coming to Navarre for close to 30 yrs. In May 2007, my sister and I took our mother to Navarre for the first time for her 83rd birthday. It was the first time I had ever seen the skimmers. We had a great time with our mother. Unfortunately when we got home, she was diagnosed with cancer and passed away in September of the same year. The skimmers now hold a very special place in my heart and we always try to go in May when they first start nesting. They have not disappointed!
I’m sorry to learn that you lost your Mom in 2007.

It’s my understanding that the last time you witnessed Black Skimmers nesting on the Navarre Beach Causeway was in 2007. Actually, the Black Skimmers have been nesting for years along the Causeway and some of the largest colonies were in 2006. I shot about 10,000 photos in 2006 from May to the first of September. Below are two photos that I shot in the morning on June 21, 2006. My digital photos have the date, time and settings embedded in each photo.

KWW_4227.jpg
June 21, 2006 10:01 AM

KWW_4296.jpg
June 21, 2006 10:08 AM

In June of 2006 the Santa Rosa County Commissioners allowed me to speak to them with my photo presentation requesting that they lower the speed limit by putting a digital sign at the bottom of the Navarre Beach Bridge heading south towards the beach. The Commissioners approved my request and the first digital speed limit sign was erected at Navarre Beach on behalf of the nesting Black Skimmers.
KWW_4227.jpg
KWW_4227.jpg (5.25 MiB) Viewed 2293 times
KWW_4296.jpg
KWW_4296.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 2293 times
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Nidrah

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:57 pm

While at the beach, twice during the week we were there, a skimmer tried to fly into our car. We were going about 15 MPH. We had to stop so IT wouldn't hit US.

So, yes, watch out for the chicks, but also watch out for the adults too. :D
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:14 pm

Very strange, they can see a dadgum minnow which is silver and virtually undetectable in the water and at a distance as they fly 30 mph but have a hard time seeing a 10 foot long, 5.5 foot wide, 3K pound piece of metal coming at them :shock:

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”