Pensacolakid's September One Day Adventure

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:23 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I had planned a three day trip to the Mobile/Pensacola area to work with some hospitals and a rep in the Mobile area. Well, the customer's had to cancel on me and thus I cancelled my trip.

Back in late June when my family made the trip, I left one of my fishing poles with Half Hitch to get repaired. At the same time, when we checked out of the house, one of the families had left several mardi gras masks that one of their daughter's had purchased while in New Orleans for a volleyball tournament just prior to our stay.

Well, like all faithful people with Navarre in their souls, I had to come back to get both of those items, right. I mean I had to.

So, I left Houston, Texico on Monday and was able to be in the Navarre area for Monday afternoon late and all day Tuesday. What a whirlwind tour it was and it was almost entirely a pier mini fishing vacation. In fact, it was all pier but some really cool things occurred as they always do.

First, I had in my sights entirely focused in on fishing for Spanish Macs. I don't like the taste of Kings and I am not going to harvest something if I am not going to eat it. Man oh man, did I slay the Spanish and they were almost jumping up onto the pier. Sure they would come in waves but when they hit, they hit. I caught approximately 20-22 and gave every single one of them away to people who I suspected, needed them. Boy, they were really fun to catch. Mainly on a Bubble Rig but I caught the bigger ones a bit deeper on, Gotcha's. 1 oz, white with red head.

So what were the cool things I saw? Well, first and for the very first time ever, I saw a full grown Manta Ray, black and white with a wing span of easily 12-15 feet completely fly itself out of the water and come down with an enormous splash that could be heard very loudly on the end of the pier. I would say it was about 125 -150 yards off the end of the pier. I just happened to be looking up and saw it from the time it leaped out of the water until it hit again. Simply stunning and absolutely beautiful. Thank you God for allowing me to see that.

I also saw a very good sized heard of Cownosed Rays swim under and around the pier. I have a picture of that I will post tomorrow. Again, such a cool sight.

Also saw a really nice mahi-mahi landed. The color on those fish is just amazing.

The other thing I saw as I was talking to some folks at the end and as I was looking toward the pier entrance was what I initially thought was a bird coming toward us. As it turned out to be, it was a quad drone. This thing was probably doing 40-50 mph and it came straight down the pier, over the Octagon and out over the water, banked sharply right and flew directly toward Bel Mer condos. Now that is a very far distance and I was stunned at the accuracy of the flying and the distance at which it could still be controlled. That is easily 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. Incredible. And the guy was flying it by looking through it's camera because he obviously could not see the drone very easily.

Anyway, I went back to East River BBQ and again, gotta say...great location but mediocre food at best.

I stayed at the Days Inn because I had points and like above, I will say this again...the clientele this hotel attracts (aside from myself of course)....well, I don't know where they get these losers but they do. For the third time in a row, I had to call the office at 2:30 am and at 4:30 am because the people next door decided they should go outside and party and laugh and carry on like it was 9 at night. I heard one guy talking about his felony hopefully getting bumped down to a misdemeanor. I inquired at the front desk (Madonna) as to what attracts these losers and she thinks it is because the east side of the hotel still has smoking rooms. I said, "well, there is a very easy fix for that...join the rest of the country and ban smoking at this facility." She said..."good point." I will simply stay elsewhere the next time as fool me once, shame on you. Fool me three times, shame on me.

For my friends down Navarre way, I am sorry I did not have enough time to reach out to you but my time was so very limited. I was even supposed to have lunch with my buddy, Going Nuts, but there was not enough time. It is great having a company car and gas.

So, 15 hours total driving time to and fro for a small amount of fishing time. That is what it means to have Navarre in your soul!!! And I would do it again in a heartbeat..
amberj0978

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Awesome story!! Can't wait to see your pics!!
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:27 pm

Glad you had a great time! Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I will say it again....there is just no place like Navarre!

AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:43 am

Glad you had your usual ho-hum dull time in NB! LOL :mrgreen: Actually, just jealous 'cause we couldn't tag along!!

8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
CrazyB

Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Sounds like you had a nice mini visit anyway! Maybe if you're here in NB before the end of November, we'll run into each other!! My husband, sister, brother, sister n law, Mom, Dad, and myself will be here until Oct. 7th and then the family downsizes to just myself, Hubby and Mom. My brother and Dad are on the pier daily, I asked my brother if he was there the day the ray did that and he said yes, it was very cool! Him and dad were slaying the Spanish as well and giving them to Miss Kym. They love catching Kings too. Us on the balcony love the dolphins, and those on the Pier hate them LOL,,,well, the one's that are fishing anyway! The jellyfish have been very numerous this month, and the June July August and now September grass is still plentiful,,but I am not going to complain about anything, I am too blessed in that I get such an extended vacation. :D
Kimberly Navarre
Jeremiah 29:11 ~~~For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.~~~
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:59 am

Kimberley I bet I saw your brother and dad but obviously did not have the connection. It was a Spanish slaying day for sure and a lot of people ate pretty well that night.
Shell Seeker

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:13 am

Sounds like a great one day adventure.
Fishing sounds amazing.
I would love if I could get my friends out on a fishing adventure but Im afrad they wont be interested. haha
I'd love it.
Im also wanting to rent a canoe and do the Black water river but I don't think they share in my ideas. haha
Oh and I wish Kenny offered wildlife adventures to see and photograph some cool birds :D
Well I am glad you have a great one day adventure. Sometimes they are the best.
Shell Seeker

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:15 am

Angel girl, I tried to like your comment.
I think Facebook has warped my brain. :roll:
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:25 am

Shell Seeker wrote:Oh and I wish Kenny offered wildlife adventures to see and photograph some cool birds
I think "Kayak Dave" does such?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Shell Seeker

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:34 am

REALLY???
Will look into that
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:05 pm

As always, I enjoyed your trip review P'kid! Those rays are graceful and beautiful to watch. One of my very favorite things about the beach is that you jut never know what you might see! Every time you go you have the potential to see something that you've never seen before...and every once in a while you see something that you never even dreamed you'd ever see!

Glad you had a good trip!
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
lefam1992

Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:30 pm

thx for the post PK. it was very enjoyable to read. wish I was there.

Tony
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:31 pm

Hey thanks Dolfnfan and Tony. Sorry for the delay but been crazy busy with travel and teaching classes and when I do that, the very last think I want to do when I get back to the hotel room is get on my computer. I will have some pictures to post in the coming days.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”