Please tell me last night was a one time thing!

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
khb518

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:16 am

We come to Navarre year after year because it is quiet and family-friendly. If this Country on the Sound is going to be a regular thing, we'll have to find another beach! What a loud, drunken mess this place was yesterday afternoon and last night!
Shell Seeker

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:21 am

Really?? Tell me more... I might wanna go. :wink:
No just kidding!! But please explain more what you mean.
There are things I like about Panama City like the State park but I hate th crowded streets and dealing with drunks.
I love good music and I don't care if people have drinks but you know what I mean.
A lot of young drunks and loudness.
I guess im old and want to chill.
Navarre has been the beach to chill.
khb518

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:03 pm

There's a two day concert on the island. Something like 2pm - 2am each day called Country on the Sound. Yesterday around noon people started showing up - walking the beach already drunk, cursing. Loud, yelling. Even had some 20 something guys leering at my tween. Weird! Then when Trace Adkins started playing at 9:30 you could clearly hear it inside my condo at The Pearl. Then, of course, when it was over people were loud getting back to their rentals. Some people who live at The Pearl were talking about how it's a terrible fit for Navarre and I agree. I love the peace I get at Navarre. If I wanted loud and drunk I'd be in Pensacola or PCB
KateSpade

Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:17 am

Totally agree with everything you said...it was our yearly family trip too (also at The Pearl). On Friday we left the pool with our kids because a group of men were getting loud (drinking and cussing) couldn't tell if they were joking or about to start fighting. We've never run into that in the last 5 years and wondered why they were there...heard them say something about the band so I'm thinking they were there playing one night. My husband and I were planning to spend our last night (only date night this trip) walking the pier at sunset but when we got out it was a crowded mess and we realized what was going on. It just didn't feel like the quiet family friendly trip we've been use to for years.
ATLhoosier

Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:11 am

I could be wrong, but from what I could tell attendance fell far below expectations. I didn't see any traffic or parking issues which many of the condos seemed to be prepared for with guards, parking attendants, caution tape, etc. This is only speculation, but I suspect someone lost their shirt in this deal and we probably won't see it back in 2016. We were at our condo in Navarre Towers all weekend and it was business as usual at this end of the beach, with no added crowds or noise other than the faint sound of music we could hear when out on our balcony.
The best things in life aren't things.
Shell Seeker

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:40 am

I guess if its only two days a year that's not too bad , well unless its your weekend to be there. I hate to be around a bunch of cussing drunks that wont leave you alone.
I love October for that reason. Nice and quiet usually. I do enjoy good music playing at a Resteraunt though. That makes it fun.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:58 am

Disclaimer: My view is that I would not have purchased a ticket to this event.

One thing that a lot of people fail to understand and grasp the impact from, is that Navarre Beach is still a vacation destination, and that despite the desire for it to be a nature reserve, 100% safe kids play area all day and night, as well as somewhere that shuts down at 7pm every night of the year, it isn't.

Considering the time of year, this seems to me to be an attempt to extend the holiday season for at least two days. At the very least, it strikes me as a way to attract visitors (even if many are local to the area) into the immediate vicinity for a few more dollars spent locally at the end of the vacation year. The kids are supposed to be in school, so a Friday night and Saturday concert does seem 'reasonable' from that perspective.

While I'm sure Kenny could have sold tickets on his patio for the event, many folks on the mainland have been bitching about the noise. some people in HBTS as well as those behind Publix and going inland are complaining big time this morning in a couple of Facebook groups. In addition, some of the posts are not complaining about it and some liked the event and complimented the organization.

If you don't like it, why not make your views known to Santa Rosa County commissioners, the local police, the Navarre Beach Chamber of Commerce and so on, so THEY know how you feel and that this event has frightened you away?
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:02 am

Shell Seeker wrote:I guess if its only two days a year that's not too bad , well unless its your weekend to be there. I hate to be around a bunch of cussing drunks that wont leave you alone.
I love October for that reason. Nice and quiet usually. I do enjoy good music playing at a Resteraunt though. That makes it fun.
Agreed.

We will be there in a couple of weeks for exactly that reason. Well, its a diary thing too, but it happens to work in with these things.

We also like being there over the Christmas break, the parade is amazing, but too early for the holiday times we have.

All I can say is that while good weather is better, even when it rains in Navarre, being there in the rain is better than being elsewhere in the sun.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:37 am

Last week when I was there, I had taken a break from fishing and was grabbing something to eat at the pier bar. I was over on the far east side of the bar area waiting on my order and drinking an ice cold beer talking to two of the bartenders/waitresses. You know what they were doing? They each had 3, fifths of Vodka (actually it is the wine based liquor disguised as Vodka) and they were each putting several pieces of Jolly Rancher (various flavors per bottle) in their respective bottles. I asked them what they were doing it for and they said the, Country on the Beach, kickoff party that night. These were for "shots." I remember saying to myself that nothing good is going to come of this and apparently it did not. Yeah, a county or rock concert on Navarre Beach is probably not a good thing and better left to Orange Beach, Gulf Shores or Panama City.

Nothing worse that people who can't hold their alcohol and this type of concert with multiple bands is a recipe for disaster and just that....a bunch of drunk idiots whose sole purpose for attending is to get ripped.

Glad I was not there and very sorry you had to endure that.
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:24 pm

It was so poorly planned and laid out that it's almost comical. There was virtually zero advertising so the crowd was about 1/2 of what they were expecting (thank you!). The closest parking was the boat ramp lot and there was no shuttle to the stage, which was toward the east end of the park! I mean, are you kidding?!

On top of that, some friends of ours that went said that the authorities were practically doing cavity searches to ensure that no food or drinks were brought in. Gotta protect those obscene profits from black market refreshment prices!

The island is just no place for an event of any size. Period. Simple as that. Hopefully the poor turnout will prevent a "2nd Annual Country on the Sound!" LOL.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:10 am

dolfnfan wrote:The island is just no place for an event of any size. Period. Simple as that.
Do not totally agree. We seem to do OK with the Mardi Gras Parade (20-30K?), the Navarre Fun Fest seems to work, and Juana's concert past summer seemed to not have too many problems?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”