water level

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
partyman

Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:21 am

Can someone explain why the water level of the gulf is so close to the walkovers right now. Thanks.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:51 am

Simply stated, caused primarily by Hurricane Ike ~ the erosion in addition to effects of winds pushing the waters inland. Some of the effect subsided almost immediately upon landfall ... I'm sure a real scientist could explain it better. I only play one in films (and in my kitchen). :lol:

A.G.
livinglarge
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:01 am

a real scientist could not have done better! Has anyone heard about repairing the damage to the beach? We were there last week and it is really bad all over! Maybe Kenny can reply, if he has heard anything?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:46 pm

For information about the ongoing beach restoration go to the sub-forum “Navarre Beach Restoration”. Most of your questions and answers should be included on this sub-forum.

There have been dozens of updates on this Forum in the past few weeks concerning the beach erosion from Hurricane Ike by the County’s coastal engineers and Florida DEP engineers. Also, Peter Ravella, the County’s consultant for the Navarre Beach Restoration Project of 2006 has posted some of his expert opinions as well. And my opinions along with photos as to why I think that the beach erosion for about 90% of the beach was minimal are posted on this sub-forum.

Posted on the sub-forum “Navarre Beach Restoration” is an e-mail dated October 8, 2008 from Cliff Truitt the County’s consultant to Commissioner Goodin regarding post Hurricane Ike assessments. According to their e-mail of October 8, the County and FL DEP staff should have some drafts to review in a few days. The drafts to be viewed are comprehensive photos, data analysis to see exactly how much width and height we have left along the project segments and develop some suggestions for repair projects. I’ll follow up with commissioner Goodin if I have not received an update within the next 5 days.

Included on this sub-forum are pre and post photos/videos of Hurricane Gustav and Hurricane Ike by many members of this Forum and their comments.

The “Navarre Beach Restoration” also includes posts going back to the Beach Restoration Project of 2006.

Commissioner Goodin has copied me on e-mails for pertinent updates regarding the ongoing beach restoration. I will continue to post these e-mail updates as I receive them. When you post questions are opinions regarding beach restoration it would be helpful to post them on the “Navarre Beach Restoration” sub-forum.

CLICK HERE FOR NAVARRE BEACH RESTORATION
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
newyorkjim

Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:14 pm

HI EVERYONE. SURE HOPE WE GET THE BEACH REPAIRED SOON. IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL BEFORE IKE.

KENNY, HAVE YOU HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THE ROAD TO PENSACOLA BEACH ? WAS THERE MUCH DAMAGE TO IT AND DO YOU KNOW WHEN THEY ARE PLANNING TO FINISH IT ? CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S TAKEN THIS LONG TO DO THIS PROJECT.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:15 pm

newyorkjim - It seems to take forever to get anything done around here ... especially when it comes to the beach and road repair. Things move a lot slower here than in New York.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:18 pm

The 7 mile National Seashore road between Navarre beach and Pensacola Beach has damaged asphalt in many places that was caused by Hurricane Gustav and Hurricane Ike. However, most of the 7 mile roadway is covered with sand. This could be a blessing. After Hurricane Ivan 2004 and Hurricane Dennis 2005 a lot of the road that was covered in sand was protected. We will not know for sure until all the sand is removed.

On May 9 of this year 3 miles of the National Seashore road was opened to Opal Beach. Shortly thereafter the remaining 4 miles to Pensacola Beach was supposed to start repair construction. However, the road was still covered in sand in many places. Many protected birds such as black skimmers, least turns, plovers and other birds were nesting in the sand above the roadbed and along the sides of the bed. The Florida Wildlife and Fish Conservation Commission have a regulation whereby no road construction can start within 300 feet of any coastal bird’s nesting areas.

Therefore, the 4 mile road construction from Opal Beach to Pensacola Beach was not allowed to start until the end of the bird nesting season in September. The road construction did not start in September because of damage to the 7 mile road caused by Hurricane Gustav and Hurricane Ike.

Because of the September storms the road repair process has to start all over again. It took the state about 4 to 5 months earlier this year to repair the 3 mile National Seashore road from Navarre Beach to Opal Beach. If you figure the last 4 miles from Opal Beach to Navarre Beach takes the same amount of time, you’re looking at maybe another 4 to 5 months. If the project starts now it could be May or June before the 7 mile road repair is completed. And if construction started at both Navarre Beach and Pensacola Beach where they tried to meet in the middle, it could be only 4 to 5 months to complete the project.

What we do know is that the road is currently closed. What we don’t know is when the road project will start. And to add more confusion it is my understanding that the last 4 miles of the repaired road from Opal Beach to Pensacola Beach may be open only to emergency vehicles. I will call the Gulf Island National Seashore headquarters tomorrow to try to get solid answers to some of our questions.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
newyorkjim

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:22 pm

HI EASTBAYBABE...

YEAH, THINGS MOVE PRETTY FAST UP HERE, BUT YOU SHOULD SEE THE TAXES PEOPLE PAY. A FRIEND OF MINE LIVES IN A COMMUNITY OUTSIDE ALBANY CALLED COLONIE. HIS TAXES ON HIS $400,000 HOME ARE ABOUT $8,500 P/YR, PLUS 8 % SALES TAX EVEN ON CLOTHES. CIGARETTS ARE $6.00 A PACK. WE'RE TAX POOR UP HERE. OUR STATE LEGISLATURE SPENDS MONEY LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW.

ONE THING THOUGH, WHEN SOMETHING BREAKS UP HERE, IT DOES GET FIXED PRETTY QUICK. WE GET SNOWSTORMS OF MORE THAN 2 FEET AT A TIME AND THE ROADS ARE DRY BY THE NEXT DAY. THAT BEACH ROAD HAS BEEN OUT FOR THREE YEARS. THAT'S INCREDIBLE! AND THE PIER ? I DON'T KNOW WHEN THAT WILL BE REBUILT. YOU WOULD THINK WITH ALL OF THE TAX REVENUE THAT BEACH GENERATES, THE ROAD AND PIER (BOTH ATTRACTIONS) WOULD BE FIXED RIGHT AWAY. HARD TO UNDERSTAND.

MY WIFE AND I ARE RETIRING IN TWO YEARS AND WE OWN LAND IN NAVARRE. MAKES ME FEEL LIKE BECOMING INVOVED LIKE KENNY. THANK GOD FOR HIM... YOU PEOPLE ARE PRETTY COOL AND I HOPE TO MEET ALL OF YOU SOMEDAY.

IN THE MEANTIME, HOPEFULLY THEY'LL FIX THE BEACH OVER THE WINTER. SEEMS LIKE THEY PLAN TOO JUDGING BY KENNY'S EMAILS.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:29 am

Beach Erosion Confirmed at the Belle Mer this morning

I went to the Belle Mer this morning and I was shocked to see how close the surf line is to the walkover. And I was even more shocked to see about a 5 feet cliff of sand just a few feet from the walkover. The Navarre Towers to the east and the Emerald Surf to the west do not have the extreme beach erosion that I witnessed this morning at the Belle Mer. This beach erosion was not apparent a week ago. I’m surprised at this erosion since we have not had a major storm in the past 30 days.

I called Navarrian this morning about the beach erosion at the Belle Mer, and he said he would try to shoot a video at the Belle Mer walkover sometime today.

I shot several photos of the Belle Mer beach erosion about mid morning and I will post them as soon as I have the time. I plan to send a report with my photos to Commissioner Goodin, FL DEP and Coastal Technology concerning this new beach erosion at the Belle Mer walkover.
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
skipper

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:35 am

I haven't looked at this web site for a month, until yesterday, and I was amazed to see the water all the way up tp the Belle Mer walkover. What happened? It was no where near there right after Ike.

It seems from reading the fed reports that they will limit their participation to only the erosion that was caused by Gufstav and Ike, and that all the other erosion that has taken place in the last 2 years is ineligible.
kcblond

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:32 pm

I don't think folks just looking at the webcam can realize the beach condition. We stayed at the Regency last week and while it was very convienent for our wheelchairs right out onto the beach,,(no steps) when we got out there , there was about a 6ft drop off between the walkway and the water egde. You cannot see that on the cam unless you know where to look. It wasn't that much of a drop all up and down the beach. In places though , it was not even climeable by me with two good legs. I do see a difference since last week on how close the water has come up to the walkovers.
Ginny
THE HARDEST THING IS TO KNOW WHICH BRIDGE TO CROSS AND WHICH TO BURN
newyorkjim

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm am frustrated over the lack of real commitment by the County and State to fix problems in Navarre. Time sems to be at a standstill for getting anything done. It's unbelievable! If it wasn't for concerned citizens such as Navarian and Kenny and others on this site I really believe nothing would get done. Everything would always be under study and the months and years would just drag on. As much as I hate to say this because I really thought Navarre was such as beautiful place to live, I am now thinking we may not settle there. Taking almost 4 years to repair a road of only 7 miles is poor government and those responsible should be ashamed of themselves. I'm not even talking about the pier which nothing has been done about. Kenny, how do you keep from being totally frustrated.

My neighborhood was almost completely destroyed( including my mothers house) by a fluke tornado in 1998. As much as I can criticize New York; within 1 year, the destroyed homes were rebuilt and the neighborhood was back to normal. And I am not just talking about a pier or beach restoration or a 7 mile road. This tornado caused almost 500 million dollars in damage and 1 year later the community was back to normal. Perhaps the government there should be more responsible to it's tax payers.

Anyway, I think if the 7 mile road is not completely open to all traffic and only emergency vehicles, this decision would rank as an alltime stupid one. For me however, I believe this would be the last straw and I would probably look elsewhere to live.

It's too bad though because we really do love it there. However, other places are beautiful as well and maybe things get done faster there. We'll be watching over the next few months !
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:52 am

newyorkjim,

I’m sorry that you are frustrated about what you perceive as things not happening fast enough concerning the beach erosion last month caused by Hurricane Gustav and Hurricane Ike at Navarre Beach, and the erosion/damage to the 7 mile road through the Gulf Islands National Seashore that is operated by the United States Park Service. The 7 mile road connects Navarre Beach and Pensacola Beach. However, I believe that your opinion is unfounded because you may not be aware of the actions that are currently under way regarding this situation by all the state agencies and government agencies that are involved regarding Navarre Beach and the National Seashore. If you read the e-mails on the sub-forum “Navarre Beach Restoration” you will see that the County and State responded in a timely manner and have already started the assessment process.

Navarre Beach and the National Seashore are both part of a barrier island. This barrier island is a fragile eco-system that requires good judgment regarding its protection. I do not have the time this morning to explain all my positions, because I’m taking my brother, his wife and Navarrian on an outing today on my boat. I will respond more fully about your concerns regarding this matter this evening. Then I believe that you will see that things down here seem complicated at times, but it is necessary to protect the barrier island's eco-system.

After I have responded this evening I hope that you feel better about Navarre Beach. And if you don’t agree with me that is o.k. But, it will not change my opinion that Navarre Beach and the National Seashore is paradise. Living here is a blessing!
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:28 pm

I will have to say and I apologize if someone has touched on it already. I can see and understand to certain degrees, NewYorkJims concerns. I too, think that it taking 4 years to fix a 7 mile road is frustrating beyond belief, although that is not the most frustrating part?

I have been coming to NB on business and pleasure now since 1971/1972. In that time, the road has been re-constructed many times. At least, what....3 now since 1995 (Erin & Opal) and no telling how many prior to 95. One would have to figure at least once! We have discussed one of the definitions of insanity on here many times....doing the same thing, the same way, over and over again and expecting a different result. I am no engineeer but I do not know this, the way they construct that road, time and time again, at ground level, does not work when water breaches the road. Why on God's green earth, do they not entertain, elevating the road? 1 foot, 2 feet, 4 feet, 6 feet???? Not only would the road survive but can you imagine the views?? Plant steel reinforced concrete pillars in the sand, as they do houses on the beach and then construct the road based on those pillars as the foundation. Look....take a look at the pier or any house on the beach that has been destroyed. What remains after the water and waves take what they want........THE PILLARS. Concrete slabs can be replaced easily and cost effectively. I would venture to guess that since it would be elevated, the road would stay intact the vast majority of time.

Hey, what do I know.....I am just a guy without an engineering degree but I do have a brain, eyes and God given common sense!

To finish, I would wholeheartedly agree with Kenny, Jim....there is no place like Navarre Beach and I would certainly keep my plans intact for moving there when you had planned. Hey, may be you need to slow down anyway????? New York is much faster than Navarre and benefits of that are very rewarding!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:34 pm

Let me offer as an example of what I am talking about.....the Atchafalaya River Basin bridge between Lafayette and just west of Baton Rouge. Most of us have taken that road tens of times. 18 miles of bridge over water and swamp and it has been there for years and taken many lickings, I would assume. Sure, it is not right on the water but......

I would propose a 2-lane (east/west) with each lane having a full emergency lane, so four total with steel enforced concrete barriers on each side, again, similar to the bridge above. Have it 6 feet above the ground and lighted. At 2-3 points there could be entrance and exit points for the national seashore and public parking. Just my two cents!

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”