Our trips to Navarre

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
From A Buick 8

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:50 am

Our family will be coming down to Navarre for the first time the first week of April. We are driving in from KY and are really looking forward to this. This will be our first vacation to a beach for all of us. We have 2 kids 10 and 15. We are staying at the Sundunes; any suggestions on some must see sights or attractions in the area.

I have been looking at several websites for stuff to do in the area and to be honest the biggest attraction for us in the beach and time to just relax. The rafting at Backwater canoe rental that sounds like fun and I would like to visit the Air force Museum. We are very much looking forward to this trip.

Thanks in advance. :D
Last edited by From A Buick 8 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
April 2009 was our first trip to Navarre. We would like to visit several times a year but alas we cannot. Can only afford every other year.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:32 am

From A Buick 8 - A week isn't much time to see everything there is to see down here. Your selections are very good, as would be the Naval Museum in Pensacola, the Zoo in Gulf Breeze, but the best is just relaxing and walking the beach. You will really be amazed with the sugar white sand and emerald waters. It is truly paradise!

Here's hoping you have a safe trip and a wonderful time at the beach.

EBB
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
tlct6810

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Just remember to take a deep breath, slow down, enjoy and savor every moment. Feel the breeze, smell the air, listen to the sounds around you. And of course leave only footprints. I envy you, we may not make it this year and I am having a really hard time with that, but money only stretches so far. This place will leave you longing for your next trip the moment you cross the bridge going home. Blessings!
longtobethere

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:35 pm

Don't worry about finding things to do. Once you come across the bridge into Navarre Beach, you won't want to leave. When my husband & I visit we rent a car at the airport, stop at Joe Patty's to buy fish & wine, then into Publix supermarket for everything else we need, cross the bridge, park & lock the car and never go near the car again until it is time to leave paradise for the real world again. If you don't bring bikes with you, you can rent them on the beach.

Have a great time!!!!
ToesInTheSand

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:48 pm

What "longtobethere" said!!! Get everything you need and hunker down at the beach! :D
The beach road is now open to Pensacola Beach, so IF you do get antsy to do something different, take a ride! You can rent bikes and take a picnic lunch along! If you are in the mood to "go out", head to Peg Leg Pete's on Ft Pickens Road on P-Beach for fantastic seafood and a funky cool beach island atmosphere. There are many shops and other fun things to do there as well, make a day of it.

Navarre Beach itself, I feel, is the most beautiful beach around.......just being lazy and relaxing is my personal choice! :wink: Lots of Dolphin out there to watch,and the Cobia fishing is happening, which is fun to watch, bring your binoculars!

There is also a Fish Market on Hwy 98 in Navarre for fresh shrimp and fish! He told me he should be getting Cobia in! A "must have" fish while you are here!

ENJOY!!!!!
blackbird

Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:28 pm

The Air Force Museum is nice, but the Naval Aviation Museum is in a league of its own!
This spoken by an Air Force guy
From A Buick 8

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks for all of the nice responses. Renting bicycles is a good idea, had not thought about that.

How far from Navarre is the naval aviation museum (in Pensacola right)
April 2009 was our first trip to Navarre. We would like to visit several times a year but alas we cannot. Can only afford every other year.
LilFeat

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:12 pm

Not sure what the miles are but it took us around 45 minutes from door to door, as I recall. I agree with blackbird.. Been to both and the Naval Museum is the best. Also, if you can plan it right on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, during their season, you can watch the Blue Angels practice.
Arlo

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:21 pm

We have our daughter and family down here from Iowa during their spring break and we all went on a dolphin cruise at Destin yesterday. Kids were ages 7, 5 and 2. What a fantastic way to spend a couple hours. March rates are just $15 per person right now compared to the normal $29 but would be worth every penny even at the regular rate. Next week our son and family with a 10, 8 and 5 year old will be visiting. Perhaps another cruise will be in order.

Other than that, our time has been spent mostly poolside and at the beach relaxing. Can't be much better than this!
kcblond

Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:41 am

ARLO,
I think I paid much more for my dolphin cruise last year. I was thinking more in the area of $50 to $60 and we saw no dolphins. I did go to pensacola beach so maybe Destin is a better idea. Can you share the name of the cruise company. Also, is it possible for you to guess if it would be wheelchair accessible. The one I went on was a pontoon boat. Maybe I should look again at the idea.
Ginny
THE HARDEST THING IS TO KNOW WHICH BRIDGE TO CROSS AND WHICH TO BURN
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:34 am

The Southern Star in Destin is handicapped equipped for those that are using a wheel chair. This is one of the best dolphin cruises on the Gulf - great sunset cruises, too. Click on their website link below for information.

http://www.dolphin-sstar.com

The Navarre Beach Life Forum is ranked by Google as the Number #1 beach forum in Florida and the Number #4 beach forum in the World!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
kcblond

Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:46 am

Thanks so much Kenny, I will keep that info for our hoped for return in late summer. !!!!
Ginny
kcblond

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:28 pm

Just another thought. I have been down from Missouri three times. The first time I found the beach road to Pensacola Beach by accident looking for a grocery store. I drove and drove and almost forgot what I was looking for. Its an awesome drive. I had no idea how special it was till it was closed for my next two trips. I cant wait to come back,, (hopefully this fall) to drive it again. The beach and area are so beautiful and un spoiled, just plan lots of time to just take in the ambiance. I suspect it will become more and more unusual to find beauty like this.
Ginny
Arlo

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:32 pm

We chose this one:

http://www.olinmarlercharterboats.com/

It was a great cruise. Our boat was the Hannah Marie. The guide was 85 years old and the grandson of one of the early pioneers of the area. I believe the large bridge you cross coming into Destin from the west carries his family name. He told some great stories about the history of the area.

In addition, all children on board were invited to visit the captain and each individually was allowed to steer the boat while their parents took a snapshot.

Arlo

Hockeydad

Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:57 am

We will be down the week after you, We make the trip from Wi. every year after a long, long season of two kids in travel hockey.
My advice to you is to find and spot on the beach and kick back and relax. Our kids love to boogie board and skim board. I love the freedom of getting up having coffee, read the local newspaper, and just do what the day brings.
We have been to the air museum. It is great. Watch your forcast to see if you will have a rainy day and plan it for that day.( Hopefully no rain )
I personally am excited to drive the new road that opened, it has been a long time since we were able to do that. The ride is beautiful.
The one thing I will swear by is that you will fall in love with the area. The locals are great and the area is beautiful. It is a great place for family fun and to relax.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”