Seashell Sunrise Sequence Photos - NAVARRIAN

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:51 am

I went over to beach this morning (with coffee in hand :lol:) and captured the rising of the sun on the beach. This is the best time on the island for sea shelling as the shoreline is abundant....especially during low tide. For those early birds out there with me ...you know what I mean. See you on the beach...
Navarrian 8)
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:05 am

WOW! Look at all those shells on the beach. You shell hunters need to walk the beach today to add to your shell collection. Thanks Navarrian for the beach sunrise/shell photos from this morning.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:56 pm

That is some crazy shellin' right there! I bet one could even find some shark teeth in that one! Nice shots, Navarrian!
LilFeat

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:53 am

Great photos. Hope it's still that way in 52 days when we show up. One question, when you say it's the best time for sea shelling do you mean early in the morning, or the time of year? Mrs. Feat and I enjoy grabbing our nets and searching for new treasures. Can't wait.
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:01 am

LilFeat,

I guess I should qualify that comment. March and April are great times to get shells ...on the beach, especially after low tide. The water (driven by afternoon winds 10-15mph) generally get churned up and by the next morning ...shells wash up in abundance. Sometimes you have to walk alittle to find the shelfs. Now by the time you arrive in 52 days....the water temperature will be warmer and I'll admit I love to wade about 5-10ft feet from shore with a net and look for those shell treasures that can only be found by a personal hand. :lol: The sandbars are exceptional this year and appear to run out 75-100 yards in many places. But be cautious because where the sandbars have canals between them, this area will make for some challenging riptides this year. Just look for the fishermen, they will spot most of the channels for you as they are ideal spots for fishing.
Also I was informed yesterday that we will have 4 additional lifeguards at Navarre Beach this year. So be safe...and be prepared to load up on shells. :lol:

When time draws nearer for you to arrive I'll PM you with some choice locations to search.

Navarrian 8)
LilFeat

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:24 am

Navarrian,
Thanks for the information and I'll look forward to hearing about your tips of shelling locations.(we're staying at The Regency) Interesting note about the riptide. Like you we typically wander out with our deluxe telescoping net : ) 5-10 feet depending on the wave action. But many times we'll go further but not more than wasit deep but that can still be pretty far from shore. I am pretty ignorant about riptides except to know they are not a good thing. Any warning signs or things to be aware of?
Home2007

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:08 am

:P
Last edited by Home2007 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:33 pm

LilFeat,
Riptides can be difficult to spot, but things to look for include:
a channel of churning, choppy water
an area having a notable difference in water color
a line of foam, seaweed, or debris moving steadily seaward
a break in the incoming wave pattern
None, one, or more of the above clues may indicate the presence of rip currents. Rip currents are often not readily or easily identifiable to the average beachgoer. Polarized sunglasses make it easier to see the rip current clues provided above.
There are signs posted around the beach area concerning riptides and what to do if you get caught in one.
Rips can be very fast, and they take the unwary way out real fast. DON'T PANIC! You really can't swim against them, and that's when people tend to panic. It's the resulting panic and exhaustion that gets 'em. If you stay calm, you can actually end up getting dumped out of it. Never try to swim against it, either swim parallel to the beach, or on a diagonal toward the shoreline.

If one takes you out past the breakers, swim in diagonally until you can start to use the wave action to help you.
I hope this information helps you become educated on the the Rips.
Navarrian 8)
LilFeat

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:53 pm

Thanks again for the information.
asilloghome

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:18 pm

Hopefully an abundance of shells will be around come Saturday when I arrive for 7 days in heaven! We are staying at the Pearl this time and not really sure what to expect - we have been staying at Belle Mer the last few times we were in Navarre. Wanting to take a sunset cruise on the water - does anyone have a recommendation for a boat / captain out of Pensacola? We will have a group of 6 women.

Good wine, good location and good friends -- great expectations.
LilFeat

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:45 am

Navarrian-my wife said I was remiss in not asking you about what kind of treasures you found in the pile of shells. Or were you just photographing and leaving the shells for others...
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:42 am

LilFeat,

I actually did pick up a nice whelk and two large scallop shells, but gave them to a wife/husband who had ventured out that early in the morning to shell collect. I truly was focused on the sunrise and my coffee that morning :lol:

Here is a picture of a couple of shells I did find on Navarre Beach. I have over 10 this size in my collection and have given away countless others to people/kids that I pass on the beach. The top one is a "Whelk", and the bottom one a "Triton".

Navarrian 8)
LilFeat

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:14 am

Navarrian,
Thanks for posting the pictures. Mrs. Feat is going to go nutzo when she see's these. 11 inches! She's going to want to come down early to take advantage of the premium shelling...
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:53 am

Navarrian,

Great photos!
Great Shells!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
From A Buick 8

Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:26 pm

We are making our first trip to Navarre the first week of April, I have been showing my 10 year old son these pictures of the shells and he is so excited to find some good ones. I think you have guaranteed me at least one very early morning to go out and try to find them. He is asking me if there is a limit to amount of shells he can gather and I was not sure how to answer that question.

What is the shell etiquette around Navarre?
April 2009 was our first trip to Navarre. We would like to visit several times a year but alas we cannot. Can only afford every other year.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”