Tar Balls Now In Texas

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:51 am

Well, they are now saying Tar Balls from the site have now reached Galveston.

What they don't realize is....Texas has had consistent tar balls for 40 years! The brown sand and water kind of disguise them though! They all blend together!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:54 am

hubby told me this past weekend he heard alot of people were going to the TX beach instead of AL/MS/FL beaches to escape the oil. :roll: we just laughed.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:42 am

Well, knowing what I know, I would laugh as well. Although, if one has never seen AL/FL and perhaps not even Texas coast (at least the upper half), they may like it. Don't know how but to each his/her own. South Padre Island, can be much different most of the time. It is certainly no Navarre/Pensacola or Destin but for Texas, it is not bad!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:47 am

oh, i am not knocking the TX beaches, pkid, i hope you know that!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:52 am

Heck...I knock them! Most of them are horrible, that is, if you have a reference as we do! I know you were not knocking them. We have rivers and lakes that are far prettier than the beaches.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Yee-haw! "Tar balls in Texas" ... we could write a tune to that one and make it a country-western hit in no time! ;-)

Happy trails!
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Laura Robinson

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Hey PKid,

We are from the Houston area and I know all too well what the Galveston area is like. That is why we are headed to Navarre tomorrow morning!!! Tar balls or not, we will be there and we will have a great time! Can't wait!
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:19 pm

tar balls have been minimal the last few days. The water has been rough because of the storm from the gulf. I missed the weather on the news but I am hoping the rain slacks off some soon.
momto4boys

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:05 pm

From what I've been reading, they think they may have come over on ships. Not with the wind and current.
We skipped our Navarre trip, because I was worried about putting my children's health at risk in that water. (As a parent..I have the right to think of my children first. So, please..no lectures.)
We decided instead to go to Houston to visit in-laws. We hit Galveston beach the day the reports are saying they found tar balls. I agree..how could you even see them?? I'm from CA, so I've been to an ocean that isn't exactly crystal clear. But, this water was nasty!! I DID let them in, because they were so thrilled to be in the ocean. And they had a blast boogie boarding with their cousins. But, it grossed me out!!!
Yes, I'm slightly concerned about the exposer they could have had if there were indeed were tar balls or chemicals from the spill. But, not as concerned as I would have been had I let them play in Navarre beach for 5 days.

But after seeing that ocean, it made me want to go to Navarre even more. The pics I see are breath taking.
I'm trying to convince my husband that just the two of us need to take a trip over there. Leave the children behind, because we're worried about them more then us (we don't have to get in the water)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:26 pm

momto4boys,

I am deeply sorry you and your kids had to be exposed to that sand and water. Now about 25 miles offshore.....whole different picture. It is actually much clearer off the Texas coast, that far out than it is over in Florida. Don't know why or how but I have been offshore many times off of both coasts and it does not get any clearer than well off Texas' coast.

Yes, you and your husband go over to Navarre and it is perfectly safe to get in the water. Have a blast!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Yep, some of my Texas cousins just went on a nice deep-sea fishing excursion off the Texas coast ... from all reports, it was great in the deep waters!

But the beach at Galveston is no comparison to NB! Never was! It's the difference between night and day!

My first experience w/Galveston was as a young teen so that's lots of years ago. Having spent several years on the West Coast as a child, I was expecting something like Seal Beach or Balboa, which we kids loved!!! We made some happy memories at Galveston, too, but the beach itself just wasn't what NB is!

8)
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:32 pm

I lived on the east side of Houston (not in city limits) for over 20 years. Having come from NW FL, I always found Galveston to be to gross to swim in. I had serious problems with getting in water that at ankle depth, you could not see your toes any more. If I wanted to go to the beach, I went to FL.

With the entire Gulf Coast, the oil is going to continue to be an issue. We will have to look for the days when the oil washes onto our neighbor's shore.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:44 pm

that's why i do not like swimming in lakes as much - the water is always murky! and goodness knows what is in that water, seen or unseen - same with rivers.

i'd rather swim in the waters off of NB, with the very slight chance of whatever may be in it (and it would be extremely diluted), than a murky lake or river that who-knows-what unseen stuff has been discharging into!

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”