Blue jellyfish

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
wregle
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:30 pm

Another beautiful day in Paradise but can someone tell me what the bright blue jellyfish are? They were plentiful today. Also saw some small button type floaters. They seemed to be frilly as opposed to having tenticles. Both were very pretty but didn't know if I should be afraid or not! Also lots of BP workers. I talked to them and they said there had been a report of "particles" washing up but they weren't finding much. They said how blessed Navarre Beach had been compared to some of the others. I told them we already knew it was blessed as well as those who get to come here. :wink:
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:27 pm

The round blue ones are called blue buttons. Jelly fish family. Not sure about the other one you are talking about but you should be careful. Man O Wars are blue and very dangerous, even dead.
2farfromNavarre

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:11 pm

This is what I have been seeing this week and has my curiousity up.

Plus, while we are identifying things. What is this?

By the way, NOT 2farfromnavarre this month.
wregle
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:15 pm

The picture of the blue one is what I have seen also. From doing research it may actually be a Portugese Man O'War and very bad! I would like some verification from a Navarrian if possible. I have been coming here for ever and have never seen them before. I do not know what your other picture is of. If you search Jellyfish of the Gulf there are some very good identification sites.
wregle
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Your second picture appears to be a Cannonball Jelly. Mild sting if it brushes up against you. Has thick tenticles that can get stuck to you and have more of a sting. Info came from http://www.beachhunter.net/thingstoknow/jellyfish/

Did you see it in Navarre?
I am concerned about the Man O'War. There was a purple flag on Sunday but they took it down Monday. No purple flag today but saw plenty of these floating blue jellyfish.
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:36 am

yes that is a manowar. Stay away.

I didn't see any of the second ones before. Weird.
wregle
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:46 am

I am surprised that they took the Purple flag down. They were very plentiful yesterday - large and small. Mainly in the shallow water and washed up on the beach. As many years as we have been coming, I have never seen them before. Are they common in Navarre and I have just been lucky?
2farfromNavarre

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:02 am

Both pictures were taken on the National Seashore (third parking location from west from Navarre). The PMOW have been all over but that was the only time I had my camera. The other thing that caught my attention was the PMOW collection around the crab holes. I guess they were dragging them home for dinner.

Amazing what nature will present for one to observe if you only take time to look.
wregle
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:17 pm

With the wind coming out of the north now I think all the PMOW have gone back to Portugal! I only saw beached ones today. Also saw some being dragged into crab holes. Guess they don't get stung!
missingp'cola

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:38 pm

My husband & I have also seen the ones in the first picture....can't remember which trip it was. I know it was sometime in the last 2 years. They float on top of the water like a balloon, if I remember correctly, but those prettty blue tenticles can stretch a long ways underneath. We also decided, after some research, that they were MOW jellies...and stayed far away, to say the least! I'd have to agree that they are very beautiful to look at though when they're beached! The little blue buttons are harmless, in my experience. That jelly in the 2nd pic looks like an alien :) I know I've never seen that one before! I wish I could see the crabs dragging them home for dinner...now that must be a funny sight! Have fun...I'm jealous.
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:43 pm

I love these stories from the beach! Thanks for sharing and have fun!
Shell Seeker

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:19 am

We had the MOW's in March of 2009.
We went for Spring Break.
It had been stormy and waves were very high.
Red and purple flags out.
There were thousands of the MOW.
Hugh ones with super long tentalces and tiny small ones.
We couldnt swim anyway because of the hugh waves but it was a bummer.
I was there 2 weeks ago and the Jellyfish started coming in the last two days.
The beach is amazing but you never know what your gonna get.
Ive seen it pristine and Im been there when it looks like Green slime.
Kind of frustrating!!
Im thinking I just need to move there so I can see it all and never miss the great days. haha
Oh How I wish!!!
Thats one thing i love about the ocean, its always changing.
Hoping you have or had some great days!!
wregle
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:52 pm

Saw no jellies today. Water was crystal clear with small sand bars everywhere. People were taking there chairs out to the them and sitting there. Beautiful heron standing at the waters edge and sting rays floating back and forth. An absolutely beautiful October day!
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:47 am

I love sitting on my beach chair in the water.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”