Navarre Seafood New Addition

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon May 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Has anyone given the Navarre Seafood, Oyster Bar a try? I am sure many of us would welcome your thoughts on what is offered and how it was. Thanks in advance!
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Thu May 05, 2011 7:45 am

"Vibrio Cholera is very rare in Florida - there probably hasn't been a case in Florida in at least 20 years. The most likely cause was the Army Corps of Engineers dredging in the bay which stirred up the substrate where Vibrio Cholera naturally exists."
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu May 05, 2011 8:38 am

Part of the reason why I no longer eat raw oysters.
Also, though, I decided I really didn't care for them either - it was more a "macho" thing - at least for me.
While I still love oysters - I prefer them fried or, even better, baked - especially as in Rockefeller, Casio, Bienville, etc.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Thu May 05, 2011 8:47 am

"Because of the high risk to persons with liver disease or immune suppression, businesses serving or selling raw shellfish are legally required to post a warning that ingestion of raw shellfish can be hazardous. The case reported to Bay County Health Dept. did result in a fatality. The individual WAS a member of a high risk group. Unfortunately, the individual did NOT heed the warning posted in the establishment in which he dined."
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu May 05, 2011 11:32 am

I have to believe that the authorities, especially with this recent information, is doing everything they can to inspect and clear the oyster harvest coming out of Apalachacola Bay.
David
Power User
Power User

Thu May 05, 2011 12:43 pm

Having lived in Apalachicola for a time and having oyster bars as part of restaurants I ran, I can attest to the fact that people with liver desease or weak immune sysytems should NOT eat raw oysters nor should they eat any raw meats or fishes such as might be in sushi. There are other things they should avoid as well.

This has always been the case but raises it's ugly head when someone gets sick, usually because they ignore thier problems and the warnings they are already aware of. You just can't fix stupid or lack of good sense.

Bad thing is that the industry suffers because some people show lack of the good sense God gave them or they just failed to get in line when common sense was to be had. Usually people already know of thier problems, rarely do they find out by eating oysters or other things they should not.

As the article stated, the oysters came from one small area of Apalachicola's huge harvest area (70-80% of consumed oysters in florida come from Apalachicola and a high % of all consumed through the USA as well) so there is no need to avoid all oysters, especially those from Apalachicola. They already have a handle on it and will continue to moniter all the beds.

I just hapened to have eaten some Apalachicola oysters yesterday and would readily eat more tomorrow. Oysters from any area are more readily traced than most any food product because of the strict bag and box labeling required by law and any at risk are quickly found and destroyed.

So, eat up folks, oysters are GOOOOD, raw, steamed, baked, or stewed. Just know and trust where you get them to have kept them iced and rotated (1st in, 1st out)

Did you notice how beautiful that Florida panther was in the space above the article, a really handsome cat, uh?
David
David
Power User
Power User

Fri May 06, 2011 5:39 am

Just as the articles say, thier concern is of the La, oysters and not the Apalachicola, Fl, oysters. Even with the suppositions, no problems are there with any distributed oysters, even those from La and much closer to oil spill than the Fl. beds.

Even without the oil spill as a concern, every year, about this time, brings articles about oyster consumption. There used to be an old wife's tale of not eating oysters in months without an r in the spelling. This did have some basis when we did not have adequate refrigeration or ice suppy. These days the oysters are iced from the time they reach the docks, many while still on the boats.

Most of the oysters found in this area are from Apalachicola, especially since they are preferred for half shell consumption. Yea, I know, some people think bigger is better and brag of the La. oysters. Actually some of the best oysters I have ever eaten came from our own East Bay. Wish I had a bag right now.
David
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Fri May 06, 2011 7:19 am

Nice information from last year.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Fri May 06, 2011 8:03 am

About 15 people die each year in the U.S. from raw oysters infected with Vibrio vulnificus. Almost all of these deaths occur in people with weak immune systems caused by existing health problems like liver or kidney disease, cancer, diabetis, or Aids. The total number of these deaths are small when compared with the annual estimate of 5,000 deaths in the U.S. each year from all food-borne illnesses per the FDA. As has been previously stated, there is a risk with the consumption of any raw products. Back to topic, has anyone given the Navarre Seafood Oyster Bar a try?
David
Power User
Power User

Fri May 06, 2011 8:40 am

Home,

The last article is just a repeat of the first, others from last year. # 1642 is just one area in a huge bay that produces 70 % of all oysters consumed in Florida, not to mention all that they ship to other states. Seems most of those that got sick did so from self harvested oysters, probably not even knowing if that area was safe or not. Just can't fix stupid!

S Breeze,

I'm looking forward to eating some of David's oysters in his new bar. I have had some from his shop (same as his bar, like to shuk my own, make my own sauce) and they were great.
David

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”