Navarre Seafood New Addition

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri May 06, 2011 9:27 am

Southernbreeze and David.....both correct. Last June I purchased a box of oysters from him and shucked them at the house. Mmmmmmmm.....tasty! Probably will do it again this June. Looking foward to it!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Fri May 06, 2011 9:43 am

sounds good to me too! :D

i've been to david's oyster bar, but didn't know about the one at navarre seafood. will have to remember and give it a try next time we are there.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed May 11, 2011 1:28 pm

And the campaign continues. :roll:
electriceddie

Wed May 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Is this really happening? Is the government "covering up" as usual? Where can I find some real information on all of this. You hear litlle or nothing about this tragedy in the news anymore. Just like Japan, and soon all of our flooded states and tornado ravaged areas---how soon we forget!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed May 11, 2011 6:35 pm

"From 2000 - 2010, a total of 17 persons with toxigenic V. cholerae O75 infection were reported to CDC, the numbers are greatest when the water is warm," spokesperson Douglas Karas said in an e-mail.

the water is getting warmer, don't eat oysters during the summer.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5502a2.htm
"However, because V. cholerae occurs naturally in some marine or estuarine environments, cholera is also occasionally acquired from consumption of inadequately cooked crustaceans or molluscan shellfish"

not sure what the oil spill has to do with it.
Home2007

Wed May 11, 2011 6:36 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed May 11, 2011 6:47 pm

oh, i'm sorry, i thought we were talking about oysters and an outbreak of poisoning from eating raw oysters.

sounds like the previous article cited leaves out some facts:

"While the outbreak is still under investigation, two suspects are being considered. Reports show a sewage break near the area, and tests are being conducted to deduce whether it may have had an impact on the bed in question. Also, dredging in the area near the oyster beds may have stirred up contaminants."

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.actio ... 4979313278
Last edited by gailjean on Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Power User
Power User

Thu May 12, 2011 5:42 am

Home,

Isn't your article post above just one more repeat of the same situation???? Seems some of the media is dragging behind or just looking for something to fill thier space. As noted, again, in the article is that no one was hospitalized or died from the suspected infections. To repeat, people with challanged immune systems should never eat raw, or under cooked, meats or seafood.

Trying to connect the temporary closing (one little section of the vast Apalacicola oyster beds) to the oil spill is far fetched. Closings like this, to be on the safe side, are usual and very normal.

Seems we are beating a dead horse unless there is new rersearh and test to report, uh?
David
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Thu May 12, 2011 7:04 am

You've heard of the song by Styx, "too much time on my hands"?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu May 12, 2011 11:30 am

good report from a local news outlet, and not pieced together from month old news and presented as just happening like the other articles from blogs, etc.
electriceddie

Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 am

Good for Joe Patti. Can we really trust our government these days? I think not. Those fish looked awful!! I hope something good comes of this and the truth is found.
David
Power User
Power User

Thu May 12, 2011 3:42 pm

Frank Patti is in business and is protecting it by avoiding the rumor mill and being sure his customers realize he is looking after them. Smart on his part since it seems some are looking hard to find things wrong.

They may eventually find that some recent lesions found lead back to the oil spill but they may also find that they are not related at all. As all the researchers have said "at this time, do not know" but they "would like some more money to continue thier research".

Those of us that fish a lot have found lesions on fish long before the recent spills. All, now, pay more attention than previously. The honest researchers, like the lady in Pensacola, say the same. "But, yes, I would like more research money", she says.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out but none of us should jump to unproven conclusions. Just as Patti, being careful how he states it, says "I don't know if it relates to the spill or not, just protecting my customers". He wins some points with his customers and keeps them buying from him, dispite any rumors. Regardless of some things in his past, a smart man when it comes to selling seafood. Since he has a few boats of his own, fishing and shrimping, it makes one wonder where he is selling his Gulf catches??

Until they find evidence to the contrary, I will continue to eat fish from the Gulf as I am sure most of us will. The spill was/is bad enough without adding to it with unproven fear. So far, our Gulf fish have proven to be of no harm to human consumption.

How did we get here from the oyster discussion that refered to the closing of one small part of a huge bay oyster population that had to do with colera and nothing to do with oil fears. uh??????
David
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu May 12, 2011 4:10 pm

beats me, david!

fyi, i was hoping some off you that fish alot would chime in on this - i would have no clue. and i agree with your statement "All, now, pay more attention than previously." which is not necessarily a bad thing.

so, back to the oyster discussion! :D

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”