Pensacolakid's Latest and Greatest Adventure #4

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:29 pm

Back at ya, forum friends. Ok, let's start by reiterating what I said a bit earlier on EBB's thread about running into me at O'Connor's. Two of my best friends in the world have been coming down to Navarre with me since 1977. One of them, Steve, was diagnosed last year with Non-Hodgkins Type B. Not curable but can be maintained (Good Lord Willin'). He is about to start a new round at MD Anderson here in Houston in the coming weeks and as I stated in a thread many moons ago, I told him I would not play the AC READ course on the PNAS property until such time as he felt strong enough to play with me. He did and the three of us played the Bayou and the Lakeview courses on Friday. However, let me go back to Thursday first and how our adventure started.

My buddy Curt and I embarked at 3:30 am on Thursday morning. Around Baton Rouge, my air conditioner in my 20K mile relatively new company car, started to fizzle out. We cut it off for about an hour (boy was it hot) and then it restarted again. We felt like it was something that needed addressing and with my company car comes corporately paid repair as well as rental car if needed. So, around Waveland, I called the Pensacola Airport Hertz to set up a rental. Ya see, we were picking up our buddy who is about to undergo chemo at noon at PNS. We get there, pick Steve up, get the rental, unload my car into the new car and then drive my car over to Astro Lincoln Mercury on PNS Blvd. Once there, the guy tells me there is no way to guarantee me my car would be done by Saturday closing. So, guess what we did? Yep...drove back to PNS Airport, into the rental car lot, unloaded my rental car back into my company car and then headed to Pegleg Pete's for SEVERAL cold ones. Well, two at least! Fortunately, my car, if we turned off the A/C for 15 minutes, it would work again so, long story short, we made it through the weekend and our return trip back yesterday with A/C...except for an hour spread from far east Baton Rouge to far west Baton Rouge (Lobdell).

Ok, so we have 4 dozen oysters at PLP's. 2 dozen on the half shell and 2 dozen baked several different ways. With of course, some ice cold Blue Moon. Deeeelicious! One of my favorite places. We made our way down to Navarre and checked into...hold on now, THE NAVARRE CAMPGROUND, cabin. What an asset that place is to Navarre. A wonderful, clean, appealing, beautiful campground it is. We rented a one room (it is very small and indeed, one room not counting the mobile home sized bathroom) cabin. A set of bunk beds, a double futon, a TV, ceiling fan, window unit, sink, microwave, coffee maker and toaster. You have to bring your own sheets and blankets, soap, etc. The TV has cable. Although it was a bit cramped for 3 big guys the beds were comfortable, it was quiet, plenty of hot water and although we had a shower, there was a beautiful and I mean that literally, public shower/bathroom. I have seen 4 star hotel lobby bathrooms not nearly as nice. $99 a night. The two without the shower are $69 but trust me, those bathrooms are spotless and clean. I highly recommend the Navarre Beach Campground. Wonderful place.

So, we have our housing now. We changed into our bathing suits and headed down to the far western end and put up our umbrella and lounge chairs and just sat back and reminisced about old times in Navarre and we have had many. How blessed we are and have been. We stayed until about 6:00 and then headed down to the Pier Bar for a beer and to walk the pier. Water was still pretty dirty and they were catching virtually nothing. We then left there and went to Juana's to hear a bit of music. We did and watched some volleyball and then went to East River Smokehouse. Another great experience. What an asset that place is.

Friday morning rolls around and we have a tee time of 8:15 at A.C. Read Golf Course on the PNAS property. It is actually the golf course you see when you drive onto the base to see the Blues. Thanks for nothing loser Obama. Do you know how pissed people are in Pensacola about the Blues being grounded. I can tell you....VERY. I spoke with 20 people over the two days. They despise the man. Anyway, we played the Bayou Course and the Lakeview. WOW! Stunningly beautiful and in superb shape. Could not have asked for any better conditions. $35 with a cart. $35 bucks....is that a deal or what? Oh how I loved playing the READ. Now, here was the cool part about playing there. We saw an airshow without seeing the Blues and while we were playing. All the jets taking off to train or go here and there. We even saw two Israeli jets taking off over us. Next, we saw one of the coolest things I have witnessed. A military funeral with 21 gun salute and TAPS. We stood at attention while that was taking place. We saw another procession coming into the base with a minimum of 150 motorcycles with American flags and behind them, a minimum of 100 cars. I do not know who that was but he/she had a lot of friends. Somber yet, very proud to have witnessed that. Cool might not be the right term.

Friday night, I had no clue we would wind up at Rocco's but my buddies were wanting an alcoholic drink and not beer or wine so, we walked into Rocco's for the first time. Here is my take. The food....very good. We had the cheesy garlic bread and a couple of pasta dishes and a stromboli. Each item was very good and my buddies really enjoyed it. The room (to the right) was very warm and the ceiling fan was not running nor did the staff know how to turn it on. Very weird they did not? Our waitress was in the woods for most of the time so the service was quite slow. The piano music was nice and the bathrooms were nice. Overall, a good experience. The inside decor'.....not my favorite but can and will over look that. Italian is not my favorite and in fact, waaaay down on my list so, not sure when I might be back but would recommend it for those that do like Italian.

Back to the top bunk and lights out by 10pm. Hey, I'm 54, not 24!!! :lol:

Saturday, we had a tee time at Tiger Point at 8:45am. To say it was hot and steamy is a dramatic understatement. Fortunately, after the 4th hole, the clouds started building and the thunderstorms started forming and it cooled it down a bit. We were able to get in all 18 and Tiger Point has done some tremendous things with that course. A beautiful, beautiful course. $50 and that includes the cart. Oh, around the 5th hole, we kept hearing this weird bird noise and could not figure out what it was. We found out. We looked up from the adjacent hole and a mother Great Blue Herron was nesting in the top of a pine tree and feeding her chick. That chick was a biggy too! Very cool to see that. First time actually. Oh and another thing....you have heard me say that on the pier you will see things that you have never seen before. I did just that on Friday afternoon. I am looking east and see a C-130 coming toward Navarre but over the Southern shore of Sound at about 3-4000 feet. All of a sudden, we see skydivers, perhaps seals (I don't know) jumping out the back of the 130 and landing near that Air Force tower/beacon. Very cool! After the round, we went to the clubhouse and had a pitcher of Yuengling (Sp?) and their baked potato, nachos. Basically homemade tater chips to look like nachos. Whewwwwww they were good. By this time it was very cloudy. We drove down to Navarre and went to Navarre Seafood and bought 2.5 lbs of large shrimp and had them steam them with their special spicy seasoning. We took them down to one of the gazebo's at the National Seashore and had shrimp and beer in one of God's very special places. The water had cleared beautifully and we stayed about an hour and a half. Went back to the pier for a walk. I believe after that we took some pictures, met our friends Jackie and Larry for a very brief time and then made our way back to the cabin before we found O'Connor's and EBB sitting there with ol Rog!!

Now, my take on O'Connor's. Very nice inside. Actually had a young man on an acoustic guitar and he was quite good. My buddy Steve had the meatloaf and said he enjoyed it quite a bit. My other buddy Curt had the Reuben and it was perhaps THE best Reuben I have ever tasted. He said the same. I had the Corned Beef with taters and cabbage. Would not get that again. I realize how hard it is to cook Corned Beef to perfection. It was very tough and the potatoes and cabbage were absolutely tasteless. I would not get it again but will go back in a heartbeat. Great place. Cold Guiness as well. Then it was back to the cabin and an early bedtime again. Woke up at 5:00 am to pounding rain and thunder on that little cabin roof and talk about not wanting to get up.

Trust me on this....google the website and take a look at the cabins. I have no problem subbing those in for a hotel room. Of course you have maid service, sheets and towels at the hotel but for $33 a night per guy and you only sleep and shower there....can't beat it with a stick.

Saw Ms. Pat and spoke to her at the pier bar. Petted ol Buck the curly haired retriever and came dangerously close to meeting Boo Weekley. Did not but spoke with his two best friends for 3 hours while he was flying back from the British Open.

So, we saw some very cool things on this trip and I was blessed to have been able to experience them with my two best friends. THANK YOU GOD!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Thanks ever so for sharing your "great adventure" ... in our imaginations we were "in the gallery" watching you guys play the course, walking the pier, seeing the sights and all without breaking a sweat! Enjoyed the narrative! Please tell Steve he's in our prayers for healing and strength. Glad you guys had such a great time together. God is good, all the time!

8)
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:07 pm

Thank you AG! Yes, those courses were incredible and being able to play them in Pensacola and with dear friends, is even better. I will tell Steve that you and others have him in their prayers.

I forgot to add that we indeed did go to SAM's after we played AC READ. I might have had my facts incorrect a moment ago. SAM's is the restaurant almost directly across from the entrance to Joe Patti's. Sam Sr......who was there, opened it up 33 years ago. His son and daughter run the place now. You talk about superb food....wow. The onion rings, as we have discussed before blew my buddy Curt away. Just stupid good!. We had gumbo, tossed salads and the best cheese grits, I have ever tasted. Great place.
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Enjoyed reading about your trip and am glad that you and your friends had such a great time! Question....is Navarre Beach Campground the new place on the bay...has a pool?

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Lvthebch,

Not sure how old Navarre Beach Campground is but they do have a pool and have actually built a beach with beach sand, right on the Sound and next to their 100 foot pier for fishing. I am telling ya....it is a great place and almost directly across the street from East Bay Crab.

They have a family cabin you can rent as well. The place is spotless and actually has quiet time starting at 10:00 pm. I can not say enough good things about it.

Go to the site and pull up the pictures.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:59 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:Back to the top bunk and lights out by 10pm. Hey, I'm 54, not 24!!! :lol:
What? You are nearly half a decade younger than me and get to bed that early? Man! How the younger generation have gone downhill...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like your friend is in good hands there AND that you had a decent time - car issues to one side. At least the company will pick up the tab for it.

Best wishes.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:10 pm

Hey, when I am home, I can stay up till 11:00 (sometimes). When I am fishing, playing Kadima, playing in the surf, playing golf in 94 degree heat with 90% humidity....I gotta sleep man!! Oh...drop a drink or beer in there somewhere and a full belly........ain't no way brother. Ain't happenin'. :lol:
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:39 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:Oh...drop a drink or beer in there somewhere and a full belly........ain't no way brother. Ain't happenin'. :lol:
I don't know ... Ya move to the wrong end of Texas and look what happens! :wink:
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Sandstomper

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 am

Prayers to your buddy Steve. I lost my neighbor and good friend last year to Non-Hodgkins, Stage 4. Only 57. What a great adventure Navarre is to cherish every moment with good friends.

Your experience reminds me of the statement credited to Richard Nixon, "Live Each Day As If It Were Your Last." Even though you hit the rack at 10:00 pm, it sounds like you squeeze 48 hours into a 24 hour Navarre day.

I am heading down tomorrow with my best friend, who happens to be my younger brother, for a long weekend. Navarre is one of his favorite places since we discovered it in 2000. Bringing the wives, so we'll have to behave ourselves:0

Thanks for the narrative! It's always fun to experience Paradise from someone else's point of view.

Would love to catch a beer with you if we're ever down at the same time.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:04 am

Man, I'm worn out after reading about everything you crammed into just a few days. Our prayers are going out to your friend for successful treatment and a full recovery.

ltb - The campground PK is talking about is about a mile + east of the new campground. Lots of trees, beautiful setting.

P'Kid - That Reuben sandwich was absolutely the best! I had the corned beef and cabbage the first time we were there ... The cabbage was crunchy and I know it's not supposed to be that way. I brought the cabbage home and thought I'd re-cook it the next day, but it just wouldn't get tender. :roll:
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Sandstomper, would love to if we are every down there at the same time. Thank you EBB for the prayers.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:48 am

Let's try to upload some pics from two weeks ago. Allow me to explain the photos. The first two are two shots from the AC READ Golf Course on the base of Pensacola Naval Air Station. A spectacular course. We played the Bayou Course and Lakeview Course. Bayview was not open due to irrigation issues. Just a wonderful place to play and to be on the base is just a cherry on top. The next picture is the cabin that we three grown men stayed in for 3 days. It is indeed very small but surprisingly, quite comfortable. Now, we basically used it for sleeping and showering. It does not have a stove or oven or even a hot plate. Microwave, toaster, small sink and coffee pot. No chest of drawers or closet either. Just a small area to hang some things. Quite cozy but is certainly doable for a couple to three days. $99 bucks a day. There is one without a bathroom and that is $69 a day. The public bathrooms are immaculate and frankly stunning for such a place. One would not expect that, although I can not say enough good things about Navarre Beach Campground. Oh and the bunnies were everywhere. The last picture was taken from the pier at what was, Sunset Harbor condo's. These are just slightly NW of Gulf Blvd and Ohio Street. Back on the Sound. They have since been repainted and re-named....The Palm. Beautiful piece of property and the pier is great although you are not supposed to be on it or fish on it if you are not staying there. We actually went there to meet Boo Weekley who has a condo there. Boo is a a professional Golfer on the PGA Tour who is from Milton, FL but hangs out in Navarre.

Floridawant2B

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:28 pm

P'Kid,

As always, I enjoyed reading about your latest trip to NB and the area...
And seeing your pictures too.

WOW! You keep very, very busy... When we (wife an I) come down to NB, we get real chilled out and are lazy bums.

Prayers too for Steve...Our God is all powerful and can heal ... Jehovah Rapha!

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”