FAQ...

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:00 am

Is it worth putting together an F.A.Q (Frequently Asked Questions) and answers topic and making it sticky for first timers?

I know that that some double posts can appear a bit 'spammy' (is there such a word?) and we always seem to get a number of posts every year where people ask about where to eat, best part of the beach is, etc, etc., but a list of what is where on the beach and immediate surrounding area (perhaps out as far as Wallmart to the east and the Zoo to the west), with (if available) web site links, would be nice to point out to everyone who asks?

This way we can say "Check out thread xxxx" or "Look at the Forum index for the thread called FAQ" ... It would need updating as things do change.

I would suggest that this NOT be a review thread, but no more than a listing of places we know are there....

If I lived in the area or was there more than I am, I'd offer to edit it, verify the contents and try out each entry 100% of the time, but my two or three trips there each year are not really enough, so even if I did edit and post it, it would need someone else to verify the content... What does the assembled crew think?

I'm just suggesting it is all. Go ahead and shoot it down if you like, but it just seems to me like a way of more easily answering legitimate questions.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:06 am

Way up on the top of the page, there is a "search" button ... you can look up any topic you want.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:28 am

EastBayBabe wrote:Way up on the top of the page, there is a "search" button ... you can look up any topic you want.
My experience of running sites for several charities, and a home owners group with several hundred visitors, as well as a number of new visitors each month (same questions, asked over and over again), is that, oh, how can I say this... is that EVERYONE ignores the search links, buttons, boxes, even with lots of arrows and instructions in big red letters, but if you post an FAQ section or topic and make it show up in bold letters EVERYONE sees it and seems to read it!

While us "slightly more mature" types are just fine using a few brain cells, I am not sure if it is the modern generation (all thumbs on a touch screen) or not, but they all notice the three letters FAQ but can't handle thinking about inputting a search term!

I am just trying to come up with another way to communicate how wonderful Navarre Beach is for those who visit.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:58 pm

bjrichus wrote:
EastBayBabe wrote:Way up on the top of the page, there is a "search" button ... you can look up any topic you want.
My experience of running sites for several charities, and a home owners group with several hundred visitors, as well as a number of new visitors each month (same questions, asked over and over again), is that, oh, how can I say this... is that EVERYONE ignores the search links, buttons, boxes, even with lots of arrows and instructions in big red letters, but if you post an FAQ section or topic and make it show up in bold letters EVERYONE sees it and seems to read it!

While us "slightly more mature" types are just fine using a few brain cells, I am not sure if it is the modern generation (all thumbs on a touch screen) or not, but they all notice the three letters FAQ but can't handle thinking about inputting a search term!

I am just trying to come up with another way to communicate how wonderful Navarre Beach is for those who visit.
Brian,

You are 100% correct about readers of the forum not using the easy “Search” tool at the top of every Page. Look we have most of the folks that have been on this forum for the past 7 years that have never used the “Search” tool. I have mentioned using the “Search” tool for years here in Navarre face to face and they look at me like a deer in the headlights. It’s one of those things that's just too easy.

You are right about folks asking the same questions over and over, and some are the same people year after year. I call it redundancy personified.

Your suggestion to add a FAQ topic on the Navarre Beach forum is an excellent idea. You guys submit your Questions and Answers on this thread and I will create the FAQ topic. The format should look like this:

Question: How far is it from the Navarre Beach Bridge on Navarre Parkway (US Highway 98 to Gulf Blvd. on Navarre Beach?
Answer: 1 mile.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Kenny Wilder wrote:I will create ... The format should look like this:

Question: How far is it from the Navarre Beach Bridge on Navarre Parkway (US Highway 98 to Gulf Blvd. on Navarre Beach?
Answer: 1 mile.
Sounds like a plan to me...

Give me a few days to come up with a list of FAQ type questions that as an occasional visitor to Navarre I can think we had the first time we were there (and I'll actually use the search tool to look them up) and you'll get a bunch of them from me - with answers.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:10 pm

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

All forum members are invited to participate in creating a FAQ (Question and Answers) for a “new” designated location on the forum.

Please provide your suggestions for FAQ (Question and Answers) by posting them on this thread (topic) “F&Q…”. Once approved by the forum Administrator your FAQ will be copied to the thread (topic) below.
http://navarrebeachlife.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9038
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:36 pm

I spent the last 30 minutes typing this list up as a starting point. I have a number of other Q&A's that I am thinking about too...

Q. Where is the closest hospital?
A. ?

Q. Where is the closest E.R. (24 hour operation) or urgent care center?
A. ?

Q. Are there any 24 hour pharmacy’s in the area?
A. ?

Q. What other pharmacies are there in Navarre?
A. CVS and Walmart – just off the island west a little under half a mile on 98.

Q. Where are the cheapest local gas stations?
A1. I find Wallmart is often a few cents lower than many others, but then not always.
A2. Some say that gas is also cheaper the closer to Gulf Breeze and Pensacola you go...

Q. Is the state park open all the time?
A. Official opening hours can vary. Check out http://www.nps.gov/guis/index.htm for full details.

Q. Alternate route to Pensacola or Destin other than the beach road?
A. Highway 98 west to Pensacola or East to Destin. Just go and don’t turn until you get to the location, but why would you? Stay in Navarre.

Q. Is there a list of local attractions for kids?
A. While the beach is great, when the kids want to “go somewhere”, where you end up going depends on the kind of thing that interests the children (or adults). There are many options and we could fill a book with advise. Lets just keep it simple: NAS Pensacola is home to the Blue Angels http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/ the Naval Aviation Museum http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/ and Pensacola Lighthouse http://www.pensacolalighthouse.org/ each of which deserve a day or more to visit and fully enjoy. Going the other way, is the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin AFB http://www.afarmamentmuseum.com/ and did we forget to mention that nearly all of these places are FREE to get into?

Q. What else but not military related?
A. In Fort Walton Beach and especially for history buffs, visit the Heritage Park and Cultural Center (129 Miracle Strip Parkway) where you’ll find the Indian Temple Mound and Museum, Camp Walton Schoolhouse Museum and Garnier Post Office Museum http://fwb.org/museums/ If you go west from Navarre Beach, you’ll also find the Gulf Breeze Zoo http://www.gulfbreezezoo.org/ where there are many exhibits and animals that will keep the kids (old and young) occupied for hours.

Q. As ever, we all love to eat, what are your recommendations?
A. The forum has many threads about this subject, but while we are not endorsing any one above any other, on the beach you will find Rocco’s https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roccos-I ... 8142497160, on the bridge is Juana’s grill, bakery and bar http://www.juanaspagodas.com/ as well as sail board and jet ski rentals. Over the bridge on the mainland there are many restaurants, and we will be including information about them soon…

The first few questions about hospitals and a 24 hour E.R. are something that I think I will leave to full time residents to answer.

Our town house there has the required leaflet about emergency preparations and evacuations in the packet left for renters to use in the event of major storms. Can I suggest that while we don't cut and paste the information, I do suggest we include a link? I can't recall the county web site link just now...
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:29 am

Here's a link to the Emergency Preparedness Guide, is that what you mean, Brian?

http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/emergency/disasterprep.html

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:52 am

AngelGirl wrote:Here's a link to the Emergency Preparedness Guide, is that what you mean, Brian?

http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/emergency/disasterprep.html

A.G.
Yup! Thanks. That's the one. This is the kind of thing I was thinking about posting:

Q. Isn't Navarre Beach in a hurricane zone? Help - What do we do?
A. Tropical storms are a part of life in Florida and the Gulf states. The chances of one happening just when you are there is very remote indeed. If there is a storm every rental property will have information for you to read and more importantly, to act on. Follow the instructions from your condo staff and any authorities. In the event that there is an evacuation order, tell the staff your plans and just go home early. A vacation cut short is better than the possible alternatives. If you want to know more, check out the county emergency web site: http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/emergency/disasterprep.html
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:09 am

Two more:

Q. What is the water quality like in Navarre?
A. Many condo and other rental developments have swimming pools. All are usually great but most don't have life guards. The water in the Gulf can change within a day from crystal clear to a murky deep grey depending on the weather and a number of other factors. Check out our beach web camera to see how it is in real time too! http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/roboonly.html

Q. Can I bring my pet and what if he/she gets ill?
A. A quick Google search reveals 3 animal hospitals going west along Highway 98 within 5 miles of Navarre Bridge. There are several others further along 98 going east towards Destin. As most rental properties don't allow pets, it might be best to find someone to "pet sit" for you at home or to board your best friend while you are in Navarre.
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:39 am

Hours for the pier and cost...for walking and or fishing?

bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:15 pm

lvthebch wrote:Hours for the pier and cost...for walking and or fishing?
Indeed - not to be left out:

Q. What are the hours for the pier and cost...for walking and or fishing?
A. The hours might vary depending on time of year, but it's not expensive to walk or fish on there and the shop also rents tackle if you wish. In the summer months, they are open from 5am until well after dark. Cost depends on if you are military or senior and if you want daily or annual passes. Expect less than $10 a day for fishing and last time I was on there it was $1 for walkers. Check out the details at: http://www.facebook.com/NavarrePier and http://www.fishnavarre.com/ or on the phone at: (850) 936-1794.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:12 pm

And here is another one spurred on by another posting today (thanks LaTJ)...

Q. Where is public parking near the beach?
A. If you don't want to go onto the Island, use Navarre Park by the bridge. If you DO want to go onto the island (and why ever not, I ask?), just use the parking lot by the pier. There are a number of walkovers to the beach elsewhere and some even A.D.A. accessible. Check here for information: http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/documen ... verMap.pdf
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:19 am

Q. I hear that there are laws for the beach. What are they?
A. No glass containers. No pets. Be considerate and take a trash bag with you if you are going to have a picnic and always take your trash with you. At some times during the year, you will find areas that are out of bounds due to turtle nests. Treat these as areas with land mines and STAY OUT OF THEM. Future generations of turtles and everyone in Navarre who cares about them and the environment will thank you.

Guys - what else??? There are more laws, aren't there?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:36 am

You guys and especially Brian have been a great help in helping the forum to setup a Q&A place for folks to obtain quick information about the Navarre Beach Greater Area. I plan to copy and paste your info on the topic thread Q&A tonight. I will add some of my own ideas as well. I would like to see some of you other forum members participate in your suggestions foe Q&A.

Once we get more Q&A from everybody I will establish categories and move things around in what has the most importance, or most asked questions of the readers of this forum. I have a journalism and art layout background in publishing out of college for 19 years, and that’s why I like things in order such as the format of this forum.

Even though I post messages and photos on Facebook, I hate its format. It looks like a site designed by a 13 year old kid. It has no index, division pages or search tool for articles. What you post on Facebook today may never be viewed again by most people.

The first Q&A will be how to use the forum's "Search" tool at the top of every page. I will add this tonight.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”