Purchasing Fresh Fish

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
RaginCajun

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:56 am

Is there a place in Navarre Beach or Navarre to purchase fresh fish? Maybe a nearby seafood market or even directly off the docks (if they do that sort of thing)? Or is Publix our only choice for buying fish?
LaTJ

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:44 am

P'kid knows. hopefully he will post soon,cause we will be looking for some fresh fillets for fish tacos next weekend.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:51 am

There's the Navarre Seafood Market west of the bridge on 98.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:33 pm

Yup, Navarre Seafood Market, west of the bridge and next door to the car wash ... just a hop from the Shark souvenier store. Closed on Mondays. Nice fresh seafood and an oyster bar there, too.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:52 am

Ragin,

When you get to Navarre Seafood, ask them to steam you up 2-3 pounds of large shrimp with their spicy seafood seasoning. Takes just 2 minutes and man oh man.

Navarre Seafood is very good and the fish they have seems very fresh. They don't have an extensive selection but what they have you can make a darn fine meal.

Another option if in Pensacola....Joe Patti's and they are very extensive but also very crowded this time of year. Could take ya an hour to get in and out.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:59 am

On their oyster bar....last week it was dark. Meaning, no oysters, no open oyster bar. The oysters from Apalachicola are no more. The Pensacola/Navarre area got a shipment back a couple of months ago but since then, they have been getting all the oysters from Louisiana.

Having had 4 dozen last week between my buddies and me, I can tell you that even though it is an, "off" month...they were outstanding at Pegleg's. Same company that provides ACME Oyster House in New Orleans.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:06 am

LaTj,

Couple of suggestions.

#1 Use grilled shrimp as the filler. Season with blackening seasoning and grill and then chop up into pieces. Easy quick and deeelicious.

#2 Get in the water west of the bridge and on the north shore of the sound and walk west, throwing soft plastics or topwaters, very early in the morning. Over the grass beds. Wear ray boots though. Catch 2-3 Reds and grill those and use those as your fish.

#3 Fresh snapper or grouper from Navarre Seafood and grill.

Make a Pineapple/mango/jalapeno/red onion, cilantro, relish along with mixing the liquid of a small can of chipotle peppers with a small container of Daisy Light Sour Cream. Buy a package of finely chopped cole slaw...plain...no creamy dressing or anything, just the finely chopped cabbage and BAM...you have killer taco's.

Add a couple of Corona's with lime and some grilled or blackened whole jalapeno's.
LaTJ

Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:03 am

Thank you for the great suggestions Pensecola Kid. While #2 is very tempting and I'll try that one on another trip. I will however scope out entry points this trip so i don't get shot for trespassing. I think I'll bring some frozen shrimp left over from our spring shrimp season and combine it with your recipe.
cheers,
TJ
RaginCajun

Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:37 am

Thanks for the suggestions! See y'all next week!!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:11 am

PensacolaKid wrote:#3 Fresh snapper or grouper from Navarre Seafood and grill.

Make a Pineapple/mango/jalapeno/red onion, cilantro, relish along with mixing the liquid of a small can of chipotle peppers with a small container of Daisy Light Sour Cream. Buy a package of finely chopped cole slaw...plain...no creamy dressing or anything, just the finely chopped cabbage and BAM...you have killer taco's.

Add a couple of Corona's with lime and some grilled or blackened whole jalapeno's.
Been watching this subject evolve...

Even though my wife is the fisher-person in our family (she is way better at it than I am and for the sake of domestic harmony I am very happy to admit it), something tells me that the quote I edited into my reply above will be on the menu, as soon as we can make it.

:wink:
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”