LIONFISH

Here is where you find information and discussion about the proposed Navarre Beach Snorkeling & Diving Reef.
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:47 am

Apparently lionfish have invaded our Gulf Sanctuary snorkeling reef.

WEAR TV
Santa Rosa County Commission will discuss ways to prevent a non-native fish from taking over a protected reef off Navarre Beach .

The reef is about 300 yards off Navarre Beach State Park.

The Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary, a group that places artificial snorkeling and diving reefs at Navarre Beach, wants County Commissioners approve a new policy that would allow snorkelers to harvest lionfish on the reef.

The first lionfish was spotted there about two weeks ago.

Santa Rosa County Engineer, Roger Blaylock, says it's important all lionfish are taken out of the area as soon as possible. Blaylock says, "They are non-native and are competing with all of our other local fish for food and habitat. Essentially, what could happen is you have a reef of lionfish without the other species."

The proposal would let snorkelers kill lionfish by net, hook and/or spear. To keep others safe during the process, the Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary wants temporary warning signs where most enter to swim to the reef.

The signs would caution others a lionfish eradication is in progress.

The board will discuss the issue on Monday, October 20, 2014 and it could be voted on during the County Commission meeting on Thursday, October 23, 2014.

To see video
http://www.weartv.com//news/features/fe ... EU6Dxb4Idc
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks for the report Dave.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 am

I have seen many reports on this Lionfish and everywhere they have populated they have depleted all the other fish around them. The only good Lionfish, is a dead one. Fortunately, the Gulf does not have very many coral reefs for them to take over.
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:18 am

At SRCC meeting comissioners were agreeable and Mike Sandler and a couple others are going to craft a simple permit process and take back to SRCC.
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 am

Do we have Dolfnfan to thank for this. It was his underwater video that showed the Lionfish, I assume? I had not heard anything about a Lionfish in these waters until his video appeared.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:47 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:Do we have Dolfnfan to thank for this. It was his underwater video that showed the Lionfish, I assume? I had not heard anything about a Lionfish in these waters until his video appeared.
I was wondering the same thing, 'Kid ~ very well could be, huh?

http://www.safespear.com/v.php?pg=59
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:29 pm

Nope, not me! I've never seen a lionfish in the reef. In my most recent video there was an odd fish that I've never seen before but it was definitely not a lionfish.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 am

I was told that John Starrett, a free diver, reported the first lionfish on our reef.
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
David
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Dolfnfan,

Glad you clarified, saved me some bucks,thought my cataracts had gotten beyond tolerance and I just could not see the lionfish in your video! Thanks! Whewww! 8) :?
David
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:03 am

Here is the video and conversation where someone posed the possibility of a lionfish ---

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10405&p=70221&hilit=lionfish#p70221
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:58 pm

As dofnfan pointed out, the exotic in his video was mistaken as a lion fish. The lion fish are very colorful. I believe FWC has one pictured on thier site.
David

Return to “Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary (Snorkeling & Diving Reef)”