Navarre Gulf Side Reef Video

Here is where you find information and discussion about the proposed Navarre Beach Snorkeling & Diving Reef.
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Here's some underwater video that I shot today (9-29-12) of the new Gulf reef in Navarre. Not a whole lot to see yet as it hasn't had nearly enough time to become established, but it's still pretty out there in that beautiful water.

[ytubehd][/ytubehd]
Last edited by dolfnfan on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:08 am

Great job, Dolfn! It will be interesting to see how it changes over time. Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

You get the THREE "cool" faces award for that! LOL

8) 8) 8)

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:53 am

Nice video.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:17 am

Lol! Thanks AG & bj.
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks for posting the video--it gives some perspective how far below the surface you have to snorkel to get to the reefs.

~Jeff
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:04 am

Dolfnfan,

Greatly appreciated! Very cool and clear video. Just curious....how far out is it? How deep is the water? Did you bring a raft out with you? How many other folks are out there? Seems to me that some may get into some serious trouble if they are not prepared and in some kind of shape?
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:29 pm

Dolfnfan, Thanks, that was first video of reef I have seen. By this spring it will be a completely different scene.
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Can someone explain to me why the old 65 foot (at least) concrete pilings from the last pier, were not chopped up to a manageable size and then piled in a small heap out in slightly deeper water to make a true reef?

I have heard it was because of potential movement during a bad hurricane but come on, those are several tons a piece. I know hydraulics are powerful but would even a CAT 4 or 5 move a 5 ton piece of concrete onto the beach?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:51 pm

We have discussed this several times over the past few years and even before the Pier was rebuilt. The US Army Corps of Engineers, US Fish and Wildlife, NOAA, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, and the Florida DEP all denied the Permit(s) to leave the pilings for marine structure. If you want to see a change of common sense regarding federal and state regulatory agencies, I highly suggest that you folks vote to remove the worst president that has ever occupied our White House. Vote for Romney to save our country and get rid of dumb regulations.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:42 pm

:wink: AMEN to that, Kenny!!!
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:15 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:...Just curious....how far out is it? How deep is the water? Did you bring a raft out with you? How many other folks are out there? Seems to me that some may get into some serious trouble if they are not prepared and in some kind of shape?
The first row of pylons is 120 yards from the beach in about 10-15 feet of water (the top of the pylon is about 6-8 feet beneath the surface).

By the time you get out to the last row it's at least 25 feet deep.

There was not a soul out there. I saw 3 teenagers come onto the beach with full snorkel gear and wet suits and asked if I could tag along with them out to the reef. I was MUCH more comfortable being with a few other people out that far as opposed to being all alone. 120 yards doesn't sound like much, but as you can tell from the one quick above-water shot in the video, it's *way* out there! Way farther than you ever see anyone just casually swimming.

I did not take any floats or anything. Anyone in reasonable health could get out there and be just fine. You do not have to be a Navy SEAL by any means. As long as you have a snorkel you can just float face down and rest.

All the pylons are nearly identical so in the video it looked like I was diving the same pylon over and over. But I hit every single one of them (30, I think, if I remember right). They're just not established yet so they all look the same! It's going to be a wonderful thing once they're established. I'm so proud of little Navarre Beach for making this happen!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:42 am

Two things....thanks Kenny. I knew we had discussed this a while back but I still don't understand WHY they denied the permits. Common sense would dictate that something that heavy is not going to be moved easily, if at all, in 25 feet of water. Talking about a snorkeling/diving reef wow. Can you imagine the marine life over that amount of rubble. I did hear a report of a diver seeing the largest octupus he had ever seen, while diving the rubble of the older pier which was in front of the previous pier. Does not make sense denying the permits but it does when you consider it is Federal.

Dolfnfan....you mentioning, "tagging along" was my point and thought process because I would feel very uncomfortable swimming that far out without a dive vest, knife and possible bang stick by myself. Bulls hang out there!! Also, a cramp can disable a person in the best of shape. For 54, I consider myself to be in excellent condition and when I do make the swim, I think I will have the vest and a knife...oh, and my cell phone. :lol:
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:13 am

Yep. The more precautions you take the better, for sure. You can never be too safe.
RoBear

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Did you have fins on? It seems like they would help out greatly. I might have to pick some up.

Do we need to start up a "reef buddy" post since everyone is scared to go it alone (proabably myself included)? I might be heading out there this Sat if the weather and water cooperate. I thought about bringing my kayak out to hang on to when/if I or anyone else gets tired. (Or to climb up on when Jaws shows up!) I'm not sure how I'll anchor it yet, but I think I can come up with something. I have a anchor, but I can see it coming loose and going back to the beach.

Does that guy in your video have a spear in his hand or is it just a stick??
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Having fins couldn't hurt. I don't use them - the few times I tried them when I was young they just irritated my feet so I've never used them since - but I know most people prefer them. A wetsuit is overkill, as the water is still quite warm.

If you took a kayak out you'd need an anchor for sure. I know they make kayak-specific anchors, but I've never used one.

Yes, the kid in the video had a spear gun. There were 3 teenagers and 2 of them had spear guns.

The "reef buddy" topic is a good idea! Maybe Kenny could make it a sticky so it stays at the top of the forum. I'm sure most people would prefer to go out with somebody rather than go alone and this would be a great, easy way to coordinate with others.

I'll be here Saturday if you decide to go out...and if the weather/water cooperates.

Return to “Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary (Snorkeling & Diving Reef)”