Thoughts/Suggestions

Here is where you find information and discussion about the proposed Navarre Beach Snorkeling & Diving Reef.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:15 am

A couple of thoughts on this offshore reef. Please don't misunderstand my question as being ungrateful for this new resource....I believe it is wonderful. However, I am wondering what several small in diameter, up off the floor and spaced out concrete pillars are going to do other than attract some very small, bait type fish. I was under the impression this was going to be concrete pilings in close proximity to each other and close to the ocean floor. A situation that might actually begin to create a real reef and where fish could actually live and hide. Am I the only one that see's this as a little confusing? Or, was the point to actually have little fish to look at. I don't see (in the future) predator/larger fish hanging around such small structures?

Secondly and in conjunction with Kenny's sentiments above, I am a little concerned without some type of rules/laws that this reef is going to lead to some drownings. If I were the county I would strongly advise, if not enforce having proper snorkeling gear and some type of flotation device at hand. A cramp, a current, something startling like a shark sighting could lead to some serious trouble. I know from personal experience and almost drowning at Navarre Beach back in the early 80's.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:19 am

What I initially thought was and I don't know where I got this but....I thought they were going to bury some larger concrete pilings or various shaped concrete structures that had holes and contours, etc. Maybe I saw some of these on a barge somewhere and just thought that is what they were going to look like. Maybe a diver or experienced snorkeler like Livinglarge or Dolfnfan can shed some light.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:37 am

These are images of what I initially thought was being erected. I guess I saw these at some point in the past and just assumed. You know what they say about, "assume?"

dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:53 am

PensacolaKid wrote:...If I were the county I would strongly advise, if not enforce having proper snorkeling gear and some type of flotation device at hand. A cramp, a current, something startling like a shark sighting could lead to some serious trouble.
True. But the scenarios you describe above can (and do) happen with or without a reef. In other words, I don't think that the reef adds any new danger. Being in the water, at any distance/depth, can be dangerous, just like driving your car to the grocery store is inherently dangerous.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:57 am

Agreed Dolfnfan but the reef now gives people a "reason" more so than any other time, to swim way out there. Yeah....you would have your occasional swimmer, sand dollar looker, etc. going out far but now, once this catches on, there will be far more people swimming out there. To each his own, I guess. I would just feel far more secure having a flotation device (float, raft, kayak), etc., and fins and possible dive vest. AND KNIFE!!!!
RoBear

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:34 pm

And with more people out there, you have more of a chance of getting help should something bad arise. (Of course seeing some of them folks at the beach, I'd rather take my chances drowning than having to get mouth to mouth from some of them!)
I do think there should be a sign or something advising about currents and the like. Common sence ain't so common at times on the beach and I imagine there will be a drowning there eventually.
I don't think there's anything saying you can't bring flotation stuff out there. More than likely, I'll just bring myself and a mask and snorkel.
I don't trust myself with a knife. I can see stabbing myself to ribbons and just making it easier for a shark or whatever. Having seen a shark move underwater, I don't think I'm quick enough anyway. I DO, however, remove all my jewelry or shiney stuff before I go in. (By jewelry, I mean my wedding ring.)
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:48 pm

RoBear wrote:Having seen a shark move underwater, I don't think I'm quick enough anyway. I DO, however, remove all my jewelry or shiney stuff before I go in. (By jewelry, I mean my wedding ring.)
LOL! I do the same thing...take everything shiny off. When I had my one face-to-face with a large shark here 2 years ago I was carrying a shiny underwater camera. I've always suspected that that's what got his attention.

And those suckers are sneaky, let me tell ya. More than likely you'd never even see him coming...
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:00 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:Agreed Dolfnfan but the reef now gives people a "reason" more so than any other time, to swim way out there. Yeah....you would have your occasional swimmer, sand dollar looker, etc. going out far but now, once this catches on, there will be far more people swimming out there. To each his own, I guess. I would just feel far more secure having a flotation device (float, raft, kayak), etc., and fins and possible dive vest. AND KNIFE!!!!
I agree all the way. Take whatever precautions that make you more comfortable and safe. And have FUN! It's going to be great when it establishes itself!

Return to “Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary (Snorkeling & Diving Reef)”