Reef Divers Reef

Here is where you find information and discussion about the proposed Navarre Beach Snorkeling & Diving Reef.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:14 am

Last night I happened to catch a few minutes of Reef Divers on the Weather Channel. This particular part was showing the crew finding, then hooking up and moving an artificial reef very similar to the ones just offshore in Navarre. Apparently a charter boat captain who paid to have the thing installed wanted it moved because other boats had found the location and had all but fished it out. Now, they showed it while it was still moored under water and then again when it was on top of the barge. I still have a difficult time understanding how that particular reef design can do much more than attract some very tiny fish. Now I understand the food chain but there is no place to hide for bigger fish. Now if they were triangles with holes, big square concrete blocks with holes or even if they were to tie several of the ones in question together, I can see that attracting a lot of wildlife but in the configuration as was seen there on the show and with the one in Navarre, I am not getting it? Can someone explain please. Before you do though, google artificial reef designs and see what I am talking about.
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Interesting that you bring this up, because I just read in last week's Navarre Press that there is another artificial reef in the planning stages. This one is to be 1 mile offshore, 2 miles wide and 1 mile long and to be made of concrete and stone "pyramids." The article says that the Gulf floor is 55-70 feet deep at the 1-mile mark so it would be conducive to SCUBA diving.

It's projected to take 5 years to implement, if it's approved and funded.

Pretty interesting, but I don't know that I'd want to free swim an entire mile out and back. You'd almost have to kayak or paddleboard out I would think.

I look forward to following this story in the coming years. Could be another really cool addition to NB.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 pm

That sounds very exciting and I hope it comes to fruition. However, if they would not allow multi-ton pilings from the old pier to be placed as an artificial reef, I am wondering was makes this potential reef different. If the answer is they can attach the structures to the bottom...Well, they could have done that with the pilings.

I would have to believe that someone would set up some type of shuttle service or have what could be considered a, Crab Island type of facility out there or perhaps rent some type of boat, yak or other vehicle that folks could take out there.

This type of reef would absolutely attract an abundance of all kinds of sizes of fish and would be a dream destination for many. I hope it works.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:39 am

PensacolaKid wrote:... I still have a difficult time understanding how that particular reef design can do much more than attract some very tiny fish. Now I understand the food chain but there is no place to hide for bigger fish. Now if they were triangles with holes, big square concrete blocks with holes or even if they were to tie several of the ones in question together, I can see that attracting a lot of wildlife but in the configuration as was seen there on the show and with the one in Navarre, I am not getting it? Can someone explain please. Before you do though, google artificial reef designs and see what I am talking about.
I wondered the same thing but thought maybe food sources grow directly ON the reef attracting the larger fish like "feeding stations". Sounds like that would be a little limiting as to species, though, doesn't it? BTW, they seem to keep showing the same 3 or 4 episodes repeatedly ... I wonder if they made any more episodes?

:?
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:12 am

When I witnessed the video of dolfnfan swimming among the 6-10 "reefs" off the beach of Navarre, I thought it was very cool but I wondered then and still wonder, whey were they not placed in close proximity to each other. Over time with sediment, calcification, organisms growing and a thousand other things, they may have actually come together and formed a really nice diveble reef. I don't know...those decisions are above my dive ability.

Return to “Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary (Snorkeling & Diving Reef)”