Snorkling at the pier yet?

Here is where you find information and discussion about the proposed Navarre Beach Snorkeling & Diving Reef.
kcblond

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:00 pm

Is there any snorkeling activity on the beach yet ? know some private snorkeling is surely started by now. Just wondering if any organized activity is going to be offered.
Ginny
THE HARDEST THING IS TO KNOW WHICH BRIDGE TO CROSS AND WHICH TO BURN
kcdancer

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:32 am

Not sure what area is safe from fish hooks in my snorkel mask?

Does anybody snorkel near the start or middle
of the pier on either side
with success?

HOW close can you get to those dolphins swimming by the pier?

They are so fast!

Thanks!
:D
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:35 am

You are not allowed to snorkel, dive or surf boarding within 100 feet of the Navarre Beach Fising Pier. The good news is that if you follow the regulation you won't have to worry about a fisherman on the Pier setting a hook in your body.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
kcblond

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:56 am

I had thought there had been a reef built near the pier to encourage snorkling and diving. Did I get that wrong?? Maybe that was in a different area ?
Ginny
THE HARDEST THING IS TO KNOW WHICH BRIDGE TO CROSS AND WHICH TO BURN
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:09 am

The reef is hundreds of yards east of the pier...
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:12 pm

I will offer this to those that are interested. Last week, one morning while wading the north shore of the Sound, we ventured over to the south shore, somewhere directly north of the first public area in the National Seashore. We were in 3-5 feet of water and it was extremely clear. I mean I could see my ray boots as if I were in a pool. Probably not a whole lot to see but you could run into some crabs, flounder and other little fishes.

I also know that Destin has SNUBA. Google it, it is pretty cool and you do not have to have a license and you SNUBA around the jetties of the pass. Actually there are very cool youtube videos of them doing this exact thing at the destin jetties.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Dolfnfan,

Ironically, in April when I was there and on the pier, another fisherman who I have befriended and who lives there, both saw what we considered to be an 8 foot Bull Shark coming from the reef area and heading toward the pier. Very clear water and there was no question it was a Bull. Now, I know Bulls are everywhere out there and frankly those reefs are in Bull feeding territory but all the more reason to have some fins, a boyancy vest and preferably a knife on your leg when you venture out to provide us with those incredible video's. Plus you would look so much cooler and looks are everything when snorkeling, right!! :lol:
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Ever since my shark experience I have thought several times about taking a spear but never followed through. So bulky & unwieldy for one thing, and I also don't like having shiny things in the water with me. Never thought of strapping a knife on though! Small and hidden away until needed...Great idea! Although the long reach of a spear is a bit more comforting...

The water was clear enough this past weekend that I did get to shoot a little bit of video. Nothing great, just some sand dollars and some really pretty jellyfish that I've never seen before. Maybe 30-45 seconds worth of video, total. I was actually struck by how little I saw out there...there's always schools of fish, a few remora, etc. But I didn't see a single fish in 2 days - just sand dollars and a few jellyfish. It was unusually deserted out there.

I was going to hit the reef on Sunday but woke up to thunderstorms and cloudy skies so we headed home early.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:40 pm

Yeah, as far away and out as you go and as deep, I would highly suggest (as I am sure your family would agree) a great set of fins and Dive knife but the one with a sharp end not the prying type of end.

dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Just ordered my knife from Amazon!

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:20 am

That looks like a dandy, Dolfnfan! That point will say, "NO" to a Bull with a capital N. That is, if he comes at ya, from the front. :lol:

Now, get those fins!!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 am

Question: wouldn't that bloody the water thereby attracting more sharks to a "feeding frenzy"??? Just asking because I do not have any dive experience.

:shock: :?:
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:45 am

More than likely, yep but that kind of encounter, I am going to be walking on the water's surface to depart as quickly as possible. :shock:
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:16 am

:lol:
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:28 am

:lol:
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary (Snorkeling & Diving Reef)”