Weather - Texas area?

This is a forum to post your photos, videos and stories about places that you have visited other than Navarre Beach. Or where you live now!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:53 am

Looks like you Texas folks had quite a bit of weather last couple of days, especially up in the north-east quadrant? (haven't heard much about the Houston area?)
Hope all are safe. I see some lives were lost and a lot of damage, Canton, TX - 50-miles east of Dallas.
Couple of you are up that way.

Daughter and family in Fort Smith, AR had a couple of tornados heading toward them Friday night (Cameron, OK and Bonanza, AR) but they lifted before arrival. Lots of rain yesterday. Flood warnings in area.

Line is heading Navarre way. This morning radar shows it approaching New Orleans and stretching to Chicago - heading east.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:27 pm

There are two of us in the North Texas area. Both Angel Girl and myself.

She is very close in Texas terms, almost next door in fact, to the tornadoes of yesterday that killed 5 people.

I have messaged her offline from NBL and am waiting for a reply.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:26 pm

bjrichus wrote:There are two of us in the North Texas area. Both Angel Girl and myself.

She is very close in Texas terms, almost next door in fact, to the tornadoes of yesterday that killed 5 people.

We're ok. Left early this morning to go to church services.

But, yep, maybe just a little too close!! We're approx 35-40 miles east of Canton. Our apartments are on a hill that has a pretty good vista toward the west, northwest and to the south. Last night, around 9 pm, I was watching the "light-works" out a west-facing window when I spotted what I now realize was probably a funnel on the far west/northwest horizon .. but it was only visible during lightning flashes. It was there through about 3 lightning flashes then disappeared from view. One thing I noted when I went outside last night to move some potted plants away from possible wind damage, was the utter stillness ... it was creepy, VERY creepy!! Another lady I talked w/at church said she had noticed the same thing. It's unusual for us not to have at least a gentle breeze around these parts .. dead still is quite unusual!!
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:30 pm

AngelGirl wrote:
bjrichus wrote:There are two of us in the North Texas area. Both Angel Girl and myself.

We're ok. Left early this morning to go to church services.
Good news. Stay safe out there!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:12 pm

It just dawned on me that this weekend was the "Trade Days" weekend for Canton's famous
"First Monday"! Mayor Mary Lou Everett has reported that Canton-proper was not effected (except for some power outages, apparently) but stresses that no one is allowed in for Trade Days and the vendors have been allowed to leave.

http://www.cantontxfirstmonday.com/firs ... -dates.htm

News here is that no one is being allowed into Canton today in order for searchers to go door-to-door. The K9s and rescuers have been set to do search and recovery.

http://www.kltv.com/clip/13288667/torna ... and-saline

http://www.kltv.com/story/35288035/chop ... cetocanton

http://www.kltv.com/clip/13289609/updat ... -van-zandt
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:33 pm

And those storms are now at Mobile and headed towards Pensacola and Navarre.

Stay safe out there everyone.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon May 01, 2017 8:02 am

bjrichus wrote:And those storms are now at Mobile and headed towards Pensacola and Navarre.

Stay safe out there everyone.
Glad to hear both of you are safe!

Front edge came through Navarre about midnight. More than an in inch of rain around 6 AM today.
Windy - but haven't heard of any wind/tornado (or flooding, for that matter) damage.
Last edited by Pete on Mon May 01, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon May 01, 2017 8:35 am

AngelGirl wrote: Our apartments are on a hill that has a pretty good vista toward the west, northwest and to the south. Last night, around 9 pm, I was watching the "light-works" out a west-facing window when I spotted what I now realize was probably a funnel on the far west/northwest horizon .. but it was only visible during lightning flashes. ... when I went outside last night to move some potted plants away from possible wind damage, was the utter stillness ... it was creepy, VERY creepy!!.. dead still is quite unusual!!
Brings back memories...as newlyweds we lived in Omaha, in a second floor apartment with balcony facing east/southeast, on a hill overlooking a golf course.
On May 6, 1975 Omaha had one of its worst tornados in memory. It was during the afternoon, about 4:30-5:00 PM, so everything visible. We were both home early due to the severe weather warnings. Happened to be standing on the balcony looking around for anything when noted the clouds above moving in a circle overhead. Watched the tornado form and first touch down about two blocks south of us and move over the golf course. It was fairly small at the time, and noted the relative movement to us as it was moving away.

Link to some info: http://www.weather.gov/oax/may675

On the timeline at 4:33 PM they note the tornado hit apartments at 96th and Q Street. That was after it crossed the golf course away from us. We observed the initial touchdown at about 99th and Z.
It stayed on the ground for nearly 30-minutes, and 10-miles going up a main Omaha commercial street (72nd) with a major shopping center, the racetrack, couple of big hospitals, couple of big churches, the Omaha Playhouse, many hotels/restaurants, other large stores and strip malls, a couple of schools (including the Jr. High I had attended in 7-8th grade), etc.

Having grown up in Omaha - you are very correct about the eerie stillness preceding tornado formation. (and "green" skies, too.)
Over the years I actually saw more than a half dozen during daylight hours. This one was the second that was within a couple of blocks of me. About 10-years earlier, (at home with parents in different part of town), a small one took roofs off of a dozen homes just a block or two over from ours.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon May 01, 2017 9:42 am

Houston as is the case virtually every single time, escaped any and all weather including even rain drops. I am beginning to think that the close proximity to the Gulf and all the concrete, glass and steel that this hellhole has, keeps weather from occurring here. So, if you are looking for a place that has a 98-99% chance of never having adverse weather, Houston is your place. Put it in the same category as Phoenix.

It comes, it looks bad and parts like the red sea when it comes into proximity to Harris County, goes around and then reforms once it has passed Houston. It is simply bizarre. Watch it next time we have one of these fronts.
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 am

Angel, glad you are safe.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue May 02, 2017 7:47 am

PensacolaKid wrote: So, if you are looking for a place that has a 98-99% chance of never having adverse weather, Houston is your place.
I'm afraid I consider the Houston heat and humidity I have encountered as "adverse weather"! :wink:
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 am

Pete wrote:
PensacolaKid wrote: So, if you are looking for a place that has a 98-99% chance of never having adverse weather, Houston is your place.
I'm afraid I consider the Houston heat and humidity I have encountered as "adverse weather"! :wink:

Amen to that, Pete! Also Buffalo Bayou has been known to enter homes uninvited!!! A few years ago a friend whose home was not so far from the Bayou, was flooded during torrential rains upstream and some dangerous wildlife got access to her "cozy little bungalow on the bayou"! :shock:
AngelGirl

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue May 02, 2017 9:36 am

Well, Houston is on the very same latitude as Pensacola and not too much further from the Gulf. I have felt heat and humidity in Navarre that is every bit as bad as Houston. Secondly, those floods and hurricanes in Houston are very few and far between. Sure, they have happened but this place is pretty close to being 100% secure from any and all storms. Again, very much like Phoenix. Watch, if the country has another round of this cool meeting warm and moist, the front will look bad coming to Houston, it will break apart at Houston, reform around Houston and intensify around the TX/LA border. Happens every time!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed May 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Stormy here again! :shock: Hot and muggy after 3 days of unprecedented cool weather. There were lots of folks out looking at the sky!!! It does make you a little anxious ... and the storm is coming from the same direction as over the weekend.
AngelGirl

Return to “Your Other Places in America & Foreign Countries”