Liberty of the Seas setting off on a Cruise

This is a forum to post your photos, videos and stories about places that you have visited other than Navarre Beach. Or where you live now!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:23 am

LOS - getting ready to "sail off into the sunset"
6-11-17 Galveston, Carnival cruise getting ready to sail off into the sunset.jpg
6-11-17 Galveston, Carnival cruise getting ready to sail off into the sunset.jpg (223.77 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
(I mislabeled the photo -- the ship is actually in the Royal Caribbean line)

Beginning turn into the channel:
6-11-17 Galveston -setting sun from cruise cam 2.jpg
6-11-17 Galveston -setting sun from cruise cam 2.jpg (213.31 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
6-11-17 Galveston -setting sun from cruise cam 3.jpg
6-11-17 Galveston -setting sun from cruise cam 3.jpg (254.72 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
I had to switch from cruise cam to the emerald cam to get these screen shots which were taken after the ship got through the channel and underway:
6-11-17 Galveston - LOS off on cruise.jpg
6-11-17 Galveston - LOS off on cruise.jpg (472.87 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
6-11-17 Galveston - LOS off on cruise2.jpg
6-11-17 Galveston - LOS off on cruise2.jpg (398 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
I thought this dark shadow aft was smoke at first but it's a flock of birds following the ship:
6-11-17 Galveston - LOS off on cruise3.jpg
6-11-17 Galveston - LOS off on cruise3.jpg (390.65 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Love it
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:45 am

Every time I see such pics - I am struck with the sense that these cruise ships look so "top-heavy" that they are about to roll over.
Reminds me when we were fortunate to make the Southampton (UK) to New York crossing on the QE2 - we dined with the ships navigator and were schooled that there was a real difference between a "cruise ship" and an "ocean liner". Thickness of hulls, ability to handle rough seas, etc.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:10 am

Pete wrote:Every time I see such pics - I am struck with the sense that these cruise ships look so "top-heavy" that they are about to roll over.
Reminds me when we were fortunate to make the Southampton (UK) to New York crossing on the QE2 - we dined with the ships navigator and were schooled that there was a real difference between a "cruise ship" and an "ocean liner". Thickness of hulls, ability to handle rough seas, etc.
Hmm ... that sounds interesting and information worth learning! Which one is safer, Pete? Inquiring minds REALLY want to know!!
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:20 am

AngelGirl wrote:Hmm ... that sounds interesting and information worth learning! Which one is safer, Pete? Inquiring minds REALLY want to know!!
Well, there was no doubt where the QE2 crew's allegiance lie.
The two things I do recall was that the "ocean liner" (QE2) had 4-inch thick hull, where they stated that cruise ships were only 1-inch thick.
That puts more weight below water line, lower center of gravity, increasing stability?
Also, just the general appearance of the QE2 was not as "top heavy" above water line - both relative to length and beam. Compare this image with the cruise ship above.
QE2gold-pc.jpg
QE2gold-pc.jpg (140.3 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
Also touted was that roll stabilizers were bigger/better on QE2. Ocean liners needed to handle north Atlantic rough seas year round. As I understand, "cruise ships" schedule crossings for the quieter weather seasons?
However, this was 25+years ago - could be cruise ships are different now?
Attachments
QE2.png
QE2.png (75.66 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “Your Other Places in America & Foreign Countries”