I'm leaving Florida....

This is a forum to post your photos, videos and stories about places that you have visited other than Navarre Beach. Or where you live now!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:52 am

How's this for something "funny"...

I've been watching a few You Tube videos recently that have been making me laugh.

These are videos, usually made by fairly ordinary people who have moved to Florida, have had enough and then decided to move away. Very few of these videos are made by retirees and most seem to be people in their 30's or 40's or families with teenage children.

So what is driving these reasonable people out of Florida...

The number one thing is the heat and humidity. Oh yes, they all seem to discover that 95+ degree heat and 100% humidity can sap your energy and they didn't like it. This is what happens when you go somewhere for vacation, love it, and then go away again. That one week you spend cooking on the beach is not representative of what it's actually like to live somewhere. SHOCK-HORROR!!!

Spring? Fall? Nope...

Then they all seem to comment that there are so many people who don't know how to drive. Doing 20MPH under the speed limit in the left lane of a highway is Ok. What is that sign that tells you to move over to the right lane? The left lane is for turning left, so you must drive slowly in it. Don't the locals know that? SHOCK-HORROR!!!

I have even seen one video where they complained about low wages. Yes. that's right. Someone wanted a job and was surprised she couldn't get more than minimum wages for minimum wage hourly paid work. SHOCK-HORROR!!!

Two common threads to all these videos:

The first common thread I see in all these videos and in case you haven't guessed it already is that these videos all seem to be made by people from northern states (or Canada) who moved to Florida and then decided to move back to the northern state they came from.

The second common thread is that very few (if any) of these videos are to do with north Florida. As far as I can tell, all these people moved to middle and southern parts of Florida; Draw a line from Tampa to Orlando and over to the "space coast" and just about all of them seem to be videos shot there or further south.

:wink:
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Having spent a little time in South FL, I can understand their sentiments!! ;) LOL
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:52 am

Actually, except for short visits (in cooler seasons, and out of "tourist" peak times, i.e.; Christmas/New Years, spring break, and Memorial to Labor Days) - I don't want to even go south of Gainesville.

Even the Orlando-Tampa/St.Pete I-4 corridor (and don't get me started on "The Villages"!) is way too crowded and hot/humid all year.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:23 am

Pete wrote:Actually, except for short visits (in cooler seasons, and out of "tourist" peak times, i.e.; Christmas/New Years, spring break, and Memorial to Labor Days) - I don't want to even go south of Gainesville.

Even the Orlando-Tampa/St.Pete I-4 corridor (and don't get me started on "The Villages"!) is way too crowded and hot/humid all year.
Oh yes. I agree.

I have a friend here at work who is retiring in a while to The Villages (NO - not me). He actually is closing on a house there today!

He and his wife seem oblivious to it being both a master planned place where you choose nothing about the outside of place you live, except to choose one of three colors. They also both laugh with me when I tell them that "The Villages" has the highest level of STD's in an adult population in the country. I am told that this is because most of the men there die quickly after moving in as they can only take so much golf and no stress so "pop-off" from heart attacks after hard working careers. The women are left and go "on the hunt" so to speak... I did warn my friend of this, but he seems determined, so as a retirement gift, I'm buying him a supply of Penicillin.
Attachments
facepalm.jpg
Some people won't take advice...
facepalm.jpg (89.7 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:14 pm

[center]Image
Oh, no! Gross![/center]

Makes one wonder, doesn't it, whatever happened to "aging gracefully" and with dignity!!
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB

Return to “Your Other Places in America & Foreign Countries”