"A Whole Other Country": TEXAS

This is a forum to post your photos, videos and stories about places that you have visited other than Navarre Beach. Or where you live now!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:36 am

Ever wonder why Texas is often called "a whole other country"?

Today, April 21, is celebrated as San Jacinto Day in Texas, here's why:

(From Wikipedia)

San Jacinto Day is the celebration of the Battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836. It was the final battle of the Texas Revolution where Texas won its independence from Mexico.

It is an official "partial staffing holiday" in the State of Texas (state offices are not closed on this date).

An annual festival, which includes a reenactment, is held on the site of the battle. The Sabine Volunteers, a reenactment group from East Texas, participate in the San Jacinto Reenactment annually. This group is named for an actual militia group during the Texas Revolution. The reenactment group consists of four members and has appeared on the History Channel. A documentary entitled The Re-Enactors of San Jacinto, directed by Emmy-winner Allen Morris, was released in 2010 and shown on HoustonPBS. The documentary details the annual San Jacinto Day celebration and shows the reenactment of the 18 minute battle.[1][2]

More on that historical event:
http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/About_ ... _Day_2018/
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:17 am

i could be wrong but at one time Texas was considered a Republic first and state second. Allowing the succession from the union without repercussion. Right? Or have I been in Arkansas to long.. :)
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Yes, Texas was an independent sovereign nation on it's own for about ten years:

Republic of Texas
Country
The Republic of Texas was an independent sovereign country in North America that existed from March 2, 1836, to February 19, 1846. Wikipedia
Capitals: Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Galveston, Washington-on-the-Brazos, West Columbia, San Felipe, Velasco
Founded: 1836
Area: 389,200 mi²
Currency: Texas dollar
Government: Presidential system
Date dissolved: 1846
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:21 am

It is an official "partial staffing holiday" ...

What a joke.

Nobody I know who is a State employee (as am I) gets the day off, unless you are an Austin based politician.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:37 am

bjrichus wrote:It is an official "partial staffing holiday" ...

What a joke.

Nobody I know who is a State employee (as am I) gets the day off, unless you are an Austin based politician.
That sounds about right! (My mom was secretary/dispatcher in the Parks and Wildlife division and I don't recall her ever having that day off either.)

Yep, too little is made of this important date in Texas history!
AngelGirl

Return to “Your Other Places in America & Foreign Countries”