2015 College Football Recruiting

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Guys it’s time once again to talk about the 2015 College Football Recruiting and 2015 Team Rankings. Yeah, I know these kids will only be high school seniors this fall. See the chart below of http://www.rivals.com for the start of the first 2015 Team Ranking posted today on their website. Guess who is Number 1 today?

JUNE 18, 2014

CLICK LINK BELOW FOR FULL LIST
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruit ... 15/all/all
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:37 pm

Wetumpka, AL 4-star offensive lineman Brandon Kennedy commits to Alabama

Drew Champlin | dchamplin@al.com

Brandon Kennedy, one of the state's top offensive lineman, committed to Alabama this morning at a ceremony at Wetumpka High School.

He chose Alabama over Auburn and several other offers. The Crimson Tide and Tigers were his final two.

Kennedy, who is 6-foot-3 and nearly 300 pounds, fills a need on the interior. He's a 4-star prospect in the 247Sports composite rankings and rated as the No. 16 offensive guard in the country. Rivals.com rates Kennedy as the nation's top center.

Kennedy picked up Alabama and Auburn offers in June and jumped on the chance to commit and become Alabama's 20th commitment for the 2015 signing class. He's the sixth in-state prospect to choose Alabama.

Kennedy is Alabama's fourth offensive line commitment, joining Lester Cotton from Tuscaloosa, Richie Petitbon from Washington, D.C., and Dallas Warmack from Atlanta.

Kennedy, who was an Alabama fan growing up, came to the press conference wearing a black pullover, but revealed his Alabama hat and shirt underneath when he announced to the Tide. He did say his mom was an Auburn fan, but she will support her son and say "Roll Tide."
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:51 pm

Wetumpka, AL OL Brandon Kennedy on why Alabama edged out Auburn for his commitment

Nick Birdsong | nbirdsong@al.com

WETUMPKA, Alabama---Brandon Kennedy said he didn't make his decision until last night.

The 6-foot-2, 293-pounder, rated as the No. 1 center in the country by Rivals, waffled between Iron Bowl foes Auburn and Alabama, before ultimately deciding to roll with coach Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide at a commitment ceremony in the lobby of Wetumpka High's football facility this morning.

"It was just the atmosphere , everything on campus," Kennedy said. "I also got to room with the players and spend time with them and I just felt home at Alabama."

Kennedy becomes Alabama's 20th commit for the Class of 2015, joining a group that also includes talented interior linemen Central Tuscaloosa's Lester Cotton, the nation's top-rated guard, and Mays (Ga.) guard Dallas Warmack, the younger brother of former Tide standout Chance Warmack.

Kennedy said he didn't call Saban to inform of his decision prior to his announcement but added he plans to do so later today.

Wetumpka offensive lineman Brandon Kennedy talks about his decision to commit to the University of Alabama.

A visit to Tuscaloosa earlier this week, during which he spoke with Saban and the rest of the Tide's staff, helped seal the deal for Kennedy.

"We basically just talked about Alabama, making a good home for me a great fit," Kennedy said. "He (Saban) likes my physicality and the way that I play."

According to Wetumpka coach Tim Perry, Kennedy already has a work ethic suitable for the SEC.

"Brandon is as serious a student as he is an athlete," Perry said of Kennedy, who holds a 4.2 grade point average and is enrolled in several AP courses. "Brandon knows what it means to be self-disciplined and put in the time. What goes unnoticed but not to people that really count is how much work he does behind the scenes. Since I arrived here three years ago, you can almost mark it down. Every Saturday and Sunday afternoon, he's out here on the practice field, working on his skills as an athlete."

Kennedy said he grew up an Alabama fan but was also attracted to what he categorized as a more laid-back environment at Auburn in comparison to the businesslike approach at Alabama.

"Auburn, it was a great atmosphere," he said. "I got love for them too but Alabama just has a little bit more of an edge."

Alabama 's proven track record of producing NFL offensive linemen such as San Diego's D.J. Fluker, Tennessee's Chance Warmack , St. Louis's Barrett Jones and Buffalo's Cyrus Kouandjio in recent years also impacted Kennedy's decision.

"I feel like (Alabama offensive line) coach (Mario) Cristobal and his staff can propel me to be the best player I can be. Coach Cristobal, he's intense. I love him as a coach and also as a person. He's just a great fit for me."

Can somebody please say ROLL TIDE?
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:32 pm

JULY 18, 2014 ~ 2015 Recruiting Team Ranking
2014-07-18 247Sports Team Ranking.jpg
2014-07-18 247Sports Team Ranking.jpg (307.29 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:46 pm

8 out of the top 15 are SEC. Any surprises there? 8)
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:13 am

No surprise at all of the current rankings with 8 SEC football colleges. Last year at this time the SEC had about the same number of teams in the 2014 rankings. If you look at my first 2015 recruiting post on June 18 and my recruiting post of July 18 the SEC still had 8 teams in the top 15 college teams.

And the debut of the SEC TV Network in August will do nothing that but propel the SEC towards more dominance in college football. THE SEC RULES!

No surprise here: Alabama has been rated Number 1 in the 2015 College Football Recruiting every week since the rankings started this past February. And the same dominance occurred last year regarding the 2014 College Football Recruiting. Alabama has been ranked Number 1 in 5 of the last 6 recruiting classes after signing day in February.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:30 am

Pensacoalkid College Football & Recruiting, "Commentary":

I will have to offer this on that though Kenny. As any head coach will tell you, including Nick Saban, "preseason" rankings mean very little if anything. The same goes with the "recruiting" ranking. At this point in the season or any season for that matter, being ranked number one basically means the university attracted the best high school talent according to "several sources."

I would have to go back and look at what Oklahoma's ranking was preseason 2013 or Florida State's preseason 2013 ranking, or Auburn's for that matter. Bama may have been number 1 in recruiting with all three below Alabama at this point in the recruiting game and Oklahoma took Bama to the woodshed (with lesser recruiting talent). Florida State was not near Bama and they won the National Championship and Auburn was certainly lower and and won the Iron Bowl.

Having said that, top recruiting and "Coaching" in my opinion does absolutely and positively impact a football team and Bama has been an excellent example of that since Saban's second year in Tuscaloosa. With Saban though and his ability to coach and out coach (most of the time...for example a certain field goal attempt) other teams, my money says you could put Nick Saban as Head Coach of Appalachian State (now a 1A team) and he would be successful.

Again, in my opinion Bama will once again be in the top three to start the season and will probably rise to number one at some point and with that great talent. The Head Coaching is not in question but what I still feel will be a sticker in the britches of Bama is this Lane Kiffin move. I personally don't see it working out but time will tell. If it does, unlike a liberal, the Pensacolakid will admit his wrong publicly.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:02 am

Nick Saban hiring Lane Kiffin as the Offensive Coordinator at Alabama was a stroke of genius. Kiffian is an outstanding and creative offensive coach who has great experience both at the college and NFL level. He has a very good understanding of the game and I have always been impressed with what I saw in the games he called. He coaches with a great deal of passion and enthusiasm, and also does an excellent job as a teacher.

The best news for Kiffin is that some of the things he wasn’t the best at in head coaching roles at Tennessee and USC – such as managing a program and being the face of a program – will be a moot point at Alabama. There’s only one face of the program, and one voice, at Alabama. It’s Saban and Saban alone. PERIOD!

Kiffin won’t have to deal with the media because Saban’s assistants don’t talk to the media, at least not regularly. Kiffin won’t have to make booster club appearances, and he won’t have to wear all the different hats he had to wear at Tennessee and USC.

He’ll coach football, call plays, develop players and recruit, and that's what he does best.

If you’re an Alabama fan, you’re watching for the spark of greatness that afforded him so many jobs in the past. If you’re not wearing crimson, you’re watching to see if he'll self-destruct as he has before.

But chances are that whoever you are, you’re watching. A lot of people are tuned in to see whether the marriage of Kiffin and Saban will work. It’s become must-see TV. And this drama has its debut on Thursday, August 30 when Alabama plays West Virginia in the Chick-Fil-A Classic George Dome at Atlanta.

ROLL TIDE!
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:51 pm

West Virginia will NOT be a test for Alabama, nor a test for Lane Kiffin. I could call that game and beat West Virginia by 35 points, which is what Bama may beat them by. Kiffin will be judged by the Auburn's and LSU's this year. In fact, they may be THE only teams to compete with Bama. Very light schedule the Tide has this year.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:44 pm

Breaking News Today About Lane Kiffin
America’s Favorite College Football Offensive Coordinator

Nick Saban, Alabama players explain Lane Kiffin's impact after seven months with the Tide
Lane_Kiffin_OC.jpg
Lane_Kiffin_OC.jpg (39.84 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
HOOVER, Alabama — It's been five years since Lane Kiffin did his first and only SEC Media Days.
He walked the lobby and faced all the questions as a league newcomer with Tennessee back in 2009. Kiffin was elsewhere Thursday, but was again a focal point.

Now seven months since his hiring as Alabama's new offensive coordinator, the adjustment period is ending. It's not easy going from the man in charge to an assistant. Nick Saban knows all about that.
"I was a head coach for one year at Toledo (1990) and then went to the Cleveland Browns as a defensive coordinator (under Bill Belichick)," Saban said. "As soon as you get used to being the boss, and then you're not the boss any more, it's a transition, I don't care who it's for. All of a sudden you can't say when everybody gets to go home. It's just different. But he's done a really good job for us, the players respond to him well, he's a good teacher, he's smart, he's a good coach. So far, so good."
Kiffin was fired as USC's head coach last fall after leaving the Tennessee head job in 2010. He was the Oakland Raiders coach from 2007-08, so he was last a coordinator back in 2006 at USC.

The influence from the former rival has been positive in the seven months since Kiffin joined the staff.
"Well, I think anytime anybody has knowledge and experience, it certainly contributes a lot of value in your organization," Saban said. "I think it kind of goes both ways. I think you learn a little from them, I think they learn a little from you. I think you can make subtle changes in what you do to make it more effective because of the input you get from your staff.

"The more experience that your staff has, obviously I think the better they understand the big picture and have the kind of foresight that you need to have that you know when you make changes, what the cause and effect of those changes are going to be. Lane certainly has been helpful in a lot of those areas."

Kiffin's players on offense continue to give strong reviews after taking occasional heat from former USC players following his dismissal. Receiver Christion Jones said he's relating with the young players.
"Yeah. Very well," Jones said. "He was a head coach at Tennessee and an OC. Coming from USC, winning championships, he understands what type of standard we set here at Alabama, and it's sort of the same type of standard he's used to."

Fellow receiver Amari Cooper likes the evolving structure of the playbook and philosophy.
"I think Coach Kiffin takes advantage of match-ups," he said. "I think he has a good sense of what it's like to be an offensive coordinator. He's a very calm person and brings that calmness to the team when things get serious and when you are battling for a national championship every year."

Can I get a ROLL TIDE?
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:24 am

That is good news for the Bama faithful but honestly could we expect Coach Saban or anyone on that staff to say anything different at this point? No! However, I believe the article to be honest, again at this point.

With that said, I hold to my original statements in that I feel at some point, the ego, thing will set in with Kiffin. I might be a little more forgiving on that point if AJ were still running the ship. I understand that Bama has "theoretically" a bunch of "touted" QB's. I would expect nothing less from a program of their caliber. However, I do believe that perhaps an even greater hurdle to overcome than Kiffin's ego, will be the QB position. That is one tough, if not impossible role to step into with replacing a great QB such as AJ McCarron. They have the RB's and the Receivers that is a given. Again, time will tell but UT, USC, and a few more have all had very similar situations that hogtied them at times.

Return to “Sports”