Is the U of Texas back on the path to greatness

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:25 pm

There is no question the vast majority of "sports" forumites are SEC people. I am no exception and make no apologies for it. However, there is a lot of talk in the papers and on the sports news here in Texas about Charlie Strong and what he is bringing to Texas. It appears to me that what he is doing is substantial, needed and at the very least, REFRESHING. He is instilling discipline in a once great program, that could very easily be great again. No university, including (sorry Kenny) the University of Alabama, can touch the money that comes into UT. No one comes close. They want for nothing and have the very best of everything, except a recent, National Championship. Mark my words, it will be less than 4 years and the U of Texas will be vying for the National Championship under Charlie Strong. I like him a lot and he is good for Texas football. It would not surprise me to see Texas vs. and SEC team in the game in the next 4 years.

Posted by Kevin McGuire on July 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Marqueston Huff, Joe Bergeron
If there was one thing the Texas football program needed, it was a focus on discipline and getting a toughness back. That is what makes head coach Charlie Strong a terrific hire for the program after cutting ties with Mack Brown. Strong’s message to the team was put on display once more Friday morning with news of senior running back Joe Bergeron being dismissed from the roster.

Bergeron is the seventh player to be booted from the Texas football program since Strong arrived on his saddle in Austin. That number has skyrocketed in the past week with four others being dismissed this week. Running back Jalen Overstreet and defensive end Chevoski Collins were also dismissed by the program on Thursday for various violations, according to the Austin American-Statesman. Wide receivers Kendall Sanders and Montrell Meander were also suspended by Strong on Thursday as a legal situation stemming from an alleged sexual assault.

Bergeron had been sent home from spring practice earlier this year, so seeing Strong come to this decision may not be quite a shock, although the head coach did sing the praises of the running back during a spring tour. Strong has said from day one as the Texas head coach he needed to make some changes to overhaul what could be a sleeping giant of a program at this point. Strong has always been focused on discipline and he does not waste time coddling players, which is a little bit of the dose of reality seemingly needed in Austin.

Bergeron was third on the team in rushing in 2013, accumulating 362 rushing yards and four touchdowns in 13 games.

Don’t mess with Texas? Don’t mess with Strong, that much is for sure.

Return to “Sports”