Who will be the top four

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:13 pm

I know it is early...far too early really to tell anything but just for fun, who do you feel will be the four teams in the College Football Playoffs this year? It might be fun to see if anyone gets it right or how many out of four they pick?

At this stage, I am going to say Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Oregon and Baylor. However, Georgia or Bama could also be in there. If I had to go today though, it would be those four. I would have put Georgia in there but I think A&M has shown some strength, albeit against less than stellar opponents. And they are my home team.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Wonder what the resident Administrator will plug in for his picks??? :lol:
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Oklahoma, Alabama, Oregon, Auburn.... at least that is my thoughts for now! I am sure my list will change as soon as next week! :D

Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:21 pm

My Final Playoff Selection

Alabama
Undefeated in regular season. Beats Georgia in SEC Championship Game.

LSU
Loses only to Alabama in regular season.

Florida State
Undefeated in regular season. Beats another cupcake team in the ACC Championship Game.

Southern California
Loses only 1 regular season game. Beats Oregon in PAC Championship Game.

Sorry PensacolaKid, none of the 4 teams that you selected will be in the Final Playoff Games. And it's ridiculous to think that Texas A&M and especially Baylor being in the Final Four. Maybe 20 years from now, but that would be very optimistic. Oklahoma and Oregon both always find a way to lose in the big games. They won't be there either.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:37 am

We will see about that Kenny. I can tell you this, with the QB situation at Bama and some porous linebacking and specifically against the mid pass, I think Bama this year will be hard pressed to even win the West. Oklahoma, you can bank on them being in the top 4. We will know more about everyone in the next 4 weeks but two givens for me are Oklahoma and Oregon.

Again, don't discount Baylor as a top four. They got it going on, I'm tellin' ya!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:07 am

BAMA WILL BE A FINAL PLAYOFF GAME TEAM. PERIOD!

How Did Blake Sims First Start Compare With Greg McElroy and AJ McCarron?

Alabama is in great shape with their two competing quarterbacks Sims and Coker.

EXAMPLE: Blake Sims’ debut as starting quarterback wasn’t perfect, but he’s not the only Tide player to struggle in that very same position. Let’s take a look at the last three starting quarterbacks in their season-opening games with the Crimson Tide.

Greg McElroy earned the starting quarterback position as a junior during the 2009 season. Like Sims, McElroy’s first start came in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game against the Virginia Tech Hokies. The No. 5 Crimson Tide defeated the Hokies 34-24. Here is a quick snapshot of key stats under McElroy’s leadership from that game in the Georgia Dome.

• Total Yards: 498 (230 passing; 268 rushing)
• C/ATT: 15/30 (50 percent), for an average of 7.7 yards
• First Downs: 22
• Third Down Conversions: 6-17
• Turnovers: 2 (1 interception)
• Time of Possession: 37:02

AJ McCarron had an even easier matchup for his first game as Alabama’s starter. To start the 2011 season at home, McCarron started against Kent State in Bryant-Denny Stadium. He led the Tide to a convincing 48-7 win over the Golden Flashes, but faced some key struggles along the way. Here are the stats from McCarron’s first game as starting quarterback.

• Total Yards: 482 (299 passing; 183 rushing)
• C/ATT: 14/23 (61 percent), for an average of 9.8 yards
• First Downs: 24
• Third Down Conversions: 2-10
• Turnovers: 5 (2 interceptions)
• Time of Possession: 29:53

Finally, we have Blake Sims. A fifth-year senior with a smattering of on-field experience. He won the hard-fought battle against Jake Coker and led No. 2 Alabama against unranked West Virginia in the Georgia Dome this past Saturday. Like the two championship-caliber quarterbacks before him, Sims helped the Tide to a season-opening win (33-23) against the Mountaineers and posted the following numbers:

• Total Yards: 538 (250 passing; 288 rushing)
• C/ATT: 24/33 (72 percent); for an average of 7.6 yards
• First Downs: 30
• Third Down Conversions: 9-16
• Turnovers: 1 (1 interception)
• Time of Possession: 37:47

With all the criticism of Sims’ performance (and new offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin’s coaching ability), you might be shocked at these statistics. Sims had more passing yards than McElroy in 2009. A higher completion percentage than both McElroy and McCarron. More first downs and more third-down conversions.

Despite the score, it looks like Blake Sims’ first game was statistically on par with both previous quarterbacks. And just in case you forgot, both McElroy and McCarron led the Tide to National Championship wins in 2009 and 2012.

Sims and Coker both performed very well last week against FAU. Does Alabama have a quarterback problem? Of course not. But, if you are a Auburn fan or Texas A&M fan you might just know absolutely nothing about this Alabama Crimson Tide football team. Nice try.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:18 am

Next thing you are going to tell us is Blake Sims is a Heisman candidate. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I will bet you a Juana's Key Lime pie that Alabama is NOT in the National Championship Game. NOT in the game! Perhaps in the playoff but NOT in the Big Show. Deal????
Razorback

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:22 am

FSU - the ACC is too weak and they sail through
Oregon - Proved in week one they can beat a physical team
Oklahoma - cupcake schedule
Alabama - the chip on their shoulder gets them better each week.
Love Navarre Beach
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:27 am

Ok, Oregon and FSU ......those are three tough teams and you have valid points on all. Somewhere in the mix will be the following and in no particular order.

Oregon
FSU
Oklahoma
Bama
Georgia
Baylor
Auburn
Texas A&M
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:28 am

PensacolaKid wrote:Next thing you are going to tell us is Blake Sims is a Heisman candidate. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I will bet you a Juana's Key Lime pie that Alabama is NOT in the National Championship Game. NOT in the game! Perhaps in the playoff but NOT in the Big Show. Deal????
I mean no disrespect, I don’t place bets with people like you that are Auburn and Texas A&M fans. Sometimes they have sinister motives. What you really need to do is to seriously consider revising your top 4 in the playoff since none of them will be represented.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:45 am

Hey Jack...the only sinister in this deal are the calories in that pie!! :o :o :o :o

So, do we have a deal? Simple little deal and should be a no-brainer for such a huuuuuge Bama fan.

One deeeeliciously thick and scrumptious, sour yet sweet, Key Lime Pie. I will even hand deliver it to your door should I lose the bet. Hand delivered!! Plus, one half gallon of some of the best seafood gumbo on planet earth.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:49 am

OK I'm on for the bet.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:54 am

Yippy! I mean, who could not bet against an Auburn or Texas A&M fan, right!!! :shock: :lol: We're all just ol dumb country folk. We don't know nuttin'.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:00 am

PensacolaKid wrote:Yippy! I mean, who could not bet against an Auburn or Texas A&M fan, right!!! :shock: :lol: We're all just ol dumb country folk. We don't know nuttin'.
This might be the only factual statement that you have ever made.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:07 am

Ooooooo, might have to eat some crow in place of that Key Lime Pie. Maybe a side of humple pie!!!!!!

Return to “Sports”