Saban on 60 Minutes last Sunday

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Don't know if you saw the story on Nick Saban last Sunday. Having read his book many times, nothing was a surprise to me. Very interesting man and certainly focused and intent on the goal at hand. He did say something that I believe other coaches could instill in their players....

He said he drills into his players to NOT look at the scoreboard and NOT keep track of the score but to focus on doing the very best you can on each play. He said if that is done the way it should be, the score will take care of itself.

He did say something that only a Bama player or fan would agree with though. I don't know if you recall but during the National Championship Game against the Irish, AJ McCarron and his center, got into a pushing match with literally seconds on the clock that the game was already well out of hand for the Irish. He said it was because each had called a play and they conflicted basically because this, "each play intensity" had been instilled in them and to Saban, he liked seeing that.

I can tell you from a fans perspective, the incident was shocking and frankly, uncalled for. I don't care how intense you are. It reflected badly and strangely on the team.

I highly respect Nick Saban and I respect his desire and need to 'strive' for perfection. It has been said that if you strive for perfection, you will attain excellence. No one can dispute what he has done for Alabama. Although I agree with his fundamental reasoning behind his drive, there seems or appears to be no, "give" with Nick. It is either his way or the highway. Would I want to play or work for him...just a wee bit TOO intense for me. As I have said previously, very hard to outcoach him but it can be and has been done.

Return to “Sports”