Add this jerk to the list

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:19 am

Seems like the NFL has some issues. Wonder if this is a microcosm of the same issues happening with the black race in the real world? People are getting tired of it, I can assure you of that.

NFL running back Jonathan Dwyer was arrested on aggravated assault charges Wednesday in connection to two altercations at his home in July involving a woman and an 18-month-old child.

Dwyer, who plays for the Arizona Cardinals, is the latest in a string of NFL players to be involved in domestic violence cases.

The Cardinals said they became aware of the situation on Wednesday and are cooperating with the investigation.

"Given the serious nature of the allegations we have taken the immediate step to deactivate Jonathan from all team activities," a statement released Wednesday said.

"We will continue to closely monitor this as it develops and evaluate additional information as it becomes available."

The NFL said the case will be reviewed under the league's personal-conduct policy.

Police told Reuters that the incidents involved a 27-year-old woman and an 18-month-old child. One of the counts was "aggravated assault causing a fracture" to the 27-year-old victim on July 21. The victim alleged that Dwyer threw a shoe at her 18-month-old son, Fox10Phoenix.com reported. Police said Dwyer admitted to the incidents, but denied physical assaults during an interview with detectives.

Neighbors heard a fight and called police, who showed up at the residence. Police Sgt. Trent Crump said Dwyer hid in the bathroom until police left. The next day, Crump said Dwyer snatched the woman's cellphone and threw it from the second floor of their home to prevent her from calling police about another dispute.

The woman came forward last week, providing police with information about her injuries and text messages that indicated Dwyer "was going to harm himself because of what had been going on," police said.

The NFL has been rocked by domestic violence issues ever since a videotape surfaced that showed former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice knocking out his then-fiancee in an Atlantic City elevator. Then Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson was indicted on child-abuse charges.

Critics have been calling on NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to step down after Rice only received a two-game suspension for the attack before the video emerged.

Dwyer, 25, signed with the Cardinals earlier this year and was their second-string running back after spending the last four years with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Razorback

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:21 am

Another reason I do not watch ANY pro sports.
Love Navarre Beach
Nidrah

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:41 am

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (61.19 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:42 am

I will be astounded, shocked, surprised if you ever hear of the Houston Texans having these issues. Not dropping names here but I know Mr. McNair personally (the owner). I have spoken to Mr. McNair many times in church (we attend the same church) and I was very good friends with his son many years ago. They lived in my neighborhood (before the millions rolled in) and his son and I were on the same baseball team. He is a devout Christian man and simply will not tolerate this nonsense. He has said from day one, the Houston Texans will win the right way.
Razorback

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:03 am

Hey Kid, what is the take with the Texans and Ryan Mallett? I was glad to see him get traded from New England and hope he gets a chance to see if he is truly a pro QB. The young man can flat out throw the football and I'm hoping he is finally in the right situation to either make it or not.
Love Navarre Beach
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:02 pm

Razorback ~ agree on Ryan Mallet. He's from my home town and all I hear is how non-assuming his family is. That his father is on the straight and narrow. Good for Houston to pick him up and let's hope they play him. He's got what it takes.

All the arrest and abuse in sports is very disturbing! With their salary and success comes a responsibility to the children who will follow in their footsteps leading by a good example. Maybe as the public we put to much emphasis on their notoriety and talent? Raising them above? I try not to judge but come on? Sigh! Best to keep myself busy on myself. Don't want any stones thrown at me. :roll: :roll:
Attachments
what lies.jpg
what lies.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:30 pm

As for Houston and Ryan Mallett, first I have been a fan of Ryan's since his days in the Pig Helmet. I believe we got him because we sent Case Keenum packing and we needed a third string QB. Now, all of a sudden Kirkpatrick is doing his job. That I did not expect. Will he get to play? Perhaps but one of the other two is going to have to get hurt or they are going to have to be winning a game by 30 points with 5 minutes left in the 4th for him to get a chance.
Razorback

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Well I guess there are worse ways to make a ton of money! If he is smart he is set for life without ever being more than a practice player and chart holder on the sidelines. I figure he is making some pretty good change.
Love Navarre Beach
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Rookie's make a minimum of $402,000. A practice squad player (not on the active roster) makes $6500 per week. That is roughly $1100 bucks for 6 days work. Plus of course they get the insurance, etc.

Return to “Sports”