Major College Coaches on the Hot Seat

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Brady Hoke - Michigan
Mike London - Virginia
Will Muschamp - Florida

Which of these do you believe will be the first to go this year and it could happen at any moment from this coming Sunday to Jan 15th, 2015

There are a few others as well but the boosters and alumni at both Michigan and Florida, have got to be beside themselves. Both of these schools should be vying for titles on a year end, year out basis with great traditions behind them.

My personal guess is that Muschamp will be the first to go. This guy is supposedly a Defensive guru. Bama picked his defense apart. He is also a powder keg and I don't know this for sure, but I would bet his players do not like playing for the guy. Who would want to play for a man who is in your face, spitting and screaming at you at point blank range.

I will have to wait and see what the end of next year brings with Texas. I had high hopes for Charlie Strong and still do. I hope he turns the Longhorns back around to a title contender. Can't stand their (well, not so much as of late....it is amazing what being humbled can do to obnoxious, arrogant, in your face, we are better than you) fan base, but I would like to see them get back into the race year in and year out. I think he had to weed out some bad habits and some bad blood on that team. It is pretty obvious that either Charlie Strong rules with an iron fist or there were internal problems with Texas. I am going with the latter based on two points.

1. I know Charlie Strong and what he brings to the table and what he is about.
2. It was apparent by the play of Texas since the days of Vince Young that things got too lackadaisical. The discipline was non existent. The drive to be the very best was not there. Mack Brown was a good coach and is a good man but he allowed the program to slip beyond where it should have been...far beyond. I would love nothing more than for Texas to start competing again for the national title with Charlie Strong at the helm but in doing so, I would like to see the Texas fans become humble and class act winners, as well as class act losers. They have been neither in the past and have a history of doing so.
iowajake

Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:54 am

I've got to believe Hoke will be 1st to go. They have had a bad run with coaches. The richRod experiment was a disaster. I believe coaches new to a program should have at least a two year time frame to bring in their own recruits, get their own system in place, etc. He's had that, and now his team is losing to historically lower caliber teams. You never know, he might run the table and Michigan will be in the top 10 when all is said and done with. People want that instant gratification, else chop the coach. Heck, half of Iowa was calling for Ferentz's head after the Iowa State loss, and close victories over Ball State and Northern Iowa. We are now 3-1 heading into Big 10 (12 now?!?) season, with a very soft schedule.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:19 am

Yeah.....I have to believe the greatest heat is on Michigan and Florida. Both great programs with a rich tradition, certainly with Michigan. I think the next (3) games for each will tell the tale and perhaps not even (3) if they were to lose again. Michigan has intense pressure from just being the historic, Michigan. Florida, with the recruiting availability they have and being in the SEC, I have to believe the boosters/alumni, etc., are not going to tolerate Muschamp not winning too much longer.

I firmly believe both will be back to prominence within a few short years as soon as the right fit is found. Let us not forget that Alabama after Bear Bryant and frankly, even with Bear starting in 1982, (the year before his death) went through for the sake of argument, 20 years of losing and with a carousel of coaching stops.... Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Mike Dubose, Dennis Francione, Mike Shula. About the only one in the mix that did anything was Gene Stallings and he was a great coach and a great man. Southern Cal did the same thing. Both storied programs. Until they found the fit.

Then Saban came along. Now there are not too many coaches of Saban's caliber, although there are few and no doubt there are some assistant coaches that are learning and being groomed as well. The fit will come and they both will be back to the top. I don't think either of them are a fit at their respective schools. Spurrier's Gators kicked butt in their prime.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:49 am

Just some facts about Alabama during the time period that you mentioned

Bill Curry

Bill Curry posted a record of 26–10 at Alabama, won a share of the Southeastern Conference (SEC) title in 1989 and made bowl appearances every year of his three-year tenure. In September 1988, he refused to fly his Alabama team to play Texas A&M because of fears that Hurricane Gilbert would harm his players. The hurricane never reached Texas A&M at College Station, Texas, and Aggies coach Jackie Sherrill claimed Curry used the threat of weather as an excuse because his quarterback was injured. The game was rescheduled for December 1, when Alabama routed A&M, 30–10.

After posting a 10–1 regular season record (the only blemish being a third loss in a row to Auburn), Curry's 1989 Crimson Tide squad shared the SEC title with Auburn and Tennessee—Alabama's first SEC title since 1981—and earned the berth in the 1990 Sugar Bowl, where they lost to the Miami Hurricanes, 33–25. Curry was honored in 1989 as the SEC Coach of the Year and received the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award.

Gene Stallings

Stallings returned to Alabama as head coach in 1990. His first team finished with a 7–5 record,[2] including a 34–7 loss to Louisville in the 1991 Fiesta Bowl. Following Harold Drew, Stallings became only the second Alabama head coach since the renewal of the Iron Bowl in 1948 to defeat Auburn in his first attempt; Dennis Franchione became the third in 2001. Stallings' 1991 squad finished the season with an 11–1 record, including a 30–25[4] victory over Colorado in the 1991 Blockbuster Bowl.

In 1992, Stallings' experienced defensive unit led the team to an undefeated regular season and a berth in the first SEC Championship Game where Alabama defeated Florida, 28–21, giving Alabama its 20th SEC title, and its first outright conference title since 1979. Following a 34–13 victory over heavily favored Miami in the 1993 Sugar Bowl to cap a perfect 13-0 season and the first Bowl Coalition national championship—their first national title since 1979.

In 1993, Stallings' squad won a second straight SEC West Division title, compiling a 9–3–1 record. However, the Tide lost to Florida in the SEC Championship Game. In 1994, Stallings' team finished the regular season with a record of 11–0, an 8–0 record in the SEC, and captured its third straight SEC West Division title. However, they lost the SEC title game for the second year in a row to Florida. Alabama finished the 1994 season with a 12–1 record, including a 24–17 victory over Ohio State in the Citrus Bowl.

What National Championship did Auburn win during this period that you mentioned?

How About 0 (ZERO)!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:19 am

Not a tit for tat thing here. This is not a competition, at least not for me! You can say what you want and defend what you want but the bottom line is, in a 20 year period, Alabama went through a very tough time. Sure, there was a year here and a year there where things were smooth. However, history is history and in a 20 year period, there were 6-7 coaches and with several of those coaches and in several of those periods, Alabama was struggling to say the least...Dubose, Shula, Franchione to name three. Oh, let's not forget Price and the Pensacola Stripper Gate scandal! I have no idea what the Bama hiring people were thinking on that one? I and the world realizes that the Alabama faithful feel that the Alabama football walks on water (although to my knowledge there has only been one to accomplish that feat) and I suppose there is nothing that can be said to change that view. Everything is cyclical in this world including College Football. There are ups and there are downs and Bama has been through both and will no doubt at some point experience that again. It happens to them all.

USC, Nebraska, Miami, Michigan, Ohio State, LSU....good times and not so good times....for all of them.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:23 am

What did your team Auburn accomplish during this same period?
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:17 am

Again, the post was not written or intended to be a competition. Not sure why you are turning it into one. Auburn or Texas A&M or anyone else for that matter has no bearing on this post or thought behind it. The reasoning (truthful, valid and historical) behind my statements concerning the down periods of Alabama during that 20 year period, was the stress the fact that great programs can and do go through down times. Michigan and Florida being in one presently. And, Alabama as well as USC prior to Pete Carroll are both examples of great programs who went through tough times and bounced back. PERIOD! Nothing more to that!!

As I stated, it is cyclical. Alabama is in a good period right now and will probably remain so for a while. This was not a slam on or against the University of Alabama football program to bring up their tough period. In fact, I challenge you to bring up a single time in the history of the Pensacolakid being on this forum where I was nothing but complementary toward Alabama football. Remember, I have direct family and friend ties to the program, why would I not be?

To specifically answer your question and not as a competition...during that time Auburn had some fine years. They went 13-0 under Bowden and went 13-0 under Tuberville but were not elected to play in the title game because the Coaches poll had them #3 at the end of the season. In both of those seasons Auburn was the best football team in America.

Shall we keep this as good college football debate, commentary and nothing more. No room or desire for animosity here.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:22 am

What?
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:33 am

Well, I was wrong. The first coach to go this year is.....Charlie Weis, Head Ball Coach at the University of Kansas. Talking about a program that can't seem to compete. How long, how many decades has Kansas been a doormat of College Football?

Return to “Sports”