It’s Game Week 6 for YOUR Favorite College Football Teams

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 am

It’s Game Week 6 for YOUR Favorite College Football Teams

ESPN makes it official: College GameDay is headed to Alabama-Ole Miss. GameDay has never been to Ole Miss.

Who is your favorite team and who do they play next, or team matchups that interest you?
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Alabama moves to No. 1 in the coaches poll after sitting idle Saturday

By Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama — Florida State looked shaky at times in its 56-41 win over NC State. But, after falling behind 24-7, the Seminoles responded.

Still, Alabama moved to the No. 1 spot after sitting idle Saturday. The Crimson Tide topped the Amway Coaches poll for the first time this season despite gaining just 15 first-place votes to Florida State's 26. It had more total votes with 1,477 to the Seminoles 1,468.

Alabama gained 11 total points and four first-place votes since last week's poll following the Florida win.

The Crimson Tide plays Ole Miss, which remained at No. 11 after beating Memphis 24-3 on Saturday.

Coaches poll

1. Alabama (15) 1,477

2. Florida State (26) 1,468

3. Oklahoma (14) 1,442

4. Oregon (7) 1,407

5. Auburn (0) 1,313

6. Baylor 1,191

7. Texas A&M 1,172

8. Notre Dame 1,072

9. UCLA 1,007

10. Michigan State 975

11. Ole Miss 907

12. Georgia 824

13. Stanford 735

14. Mississippi State 708

15. LSU 587

16. Wisconsin 571

17. Nebraska 559

18. Ohio State 474

19. BYU 473

20. USC 392

21. East Carolina 255

22. Kansas State 253

23. Oklahoma State 216

24. Arizona State 148

25. TCU 86

Also receiving votes: Missouri 83, South Carolina 82, Clemson 81, Arizona 59, Marshall 49, Georgia Tech 39, Washington 10, Louisville 8, Duke 7, North Carolina 7, Arkansas 5, Iowa 3, Minnesota 3, Cincinnati 1, Texas 1, West Virginia 1.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:06 pm

The Associated Press Top 25 Poll, Week 5 -- Sept. 28, 201
*First-place votes in parentheses

1. Florida State (27)
2. Oregon (13)
3. Alabama (13)
4. Oklahoma (7)
5. Auburn
6. Texas A&M
7. Baylor
8. UCLA
9. Notre Dame
10. Michigan State
11. Ole Miss
12. Mississippi State
13. Georgia
14. Stanford
15. LSU
16. USC
17. Wisconsin
18. BYU
19. Nebraska
20. Ohio State
21. Oklahoma State
22. East Carolina
23. Kansas State
24. Missouri
25. TCU
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:45 am

A couple of things. I may be wrong but I believe Ole Miss is waaaaay overrated. I do not believe Bo Wallace has what it takes to beat Alabama from a QB perspective. I may eat my words but I don't believe for one second, Ole Miss can hang with Alabama. I think Florida had a better chance.

Number two, I would not want a ranking of #1 this early in the season and I suspect Nick Saban is drilling into their heads to NOT pay any attention to that ranking. A ranking this early means nothing more than the X is on your front and back now.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:13 am

Also, I do not believe for one second that Auburn is worthy of a #5 ranking right now. A good team, a strong team in a few areas but their porous defense is concerning me. The next two weeks will tell what caliber of team Auburn is right now. LSU (in Auburn) and MS State upcoming (in Starkville).
iowajake

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Iowa played good enough to win against Purdue. I had to do a double check of Iowa's schedule...they have two bye weeks in October!! Who in the world made up that schedule?!? So I will certainly be the attentive casual fan to all the other games. FSU looked vulnerable...Arkansas should have won, looking foward to the Auburn game. Baylor looked scarey good against ISU. I won't be a bit suprised if several of the top 10 get knocked off this weekend.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:10 am

This weekend, Baylor University plays at Texas. Although Texas is not a contender this year, I am hoping they step up to the plate and at least provide the mighty Baylor Bears an opportunity to show how strong they are. Art Briles is in the top tier of coaches in America there is no question the Bears have some potent offensive weapons. The question is, like so many other teams, can their defense keep up with their offense. Hopefully this coming Saturday, we will see. Next week is another and yet stronger test in TCU. With a rather weak schedule, they are going to have to dominate opponents to make their point with the playoff committee....but it can be done.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:30 am

FACT: During the BCS era no hurry-up offense team won a National Championship.

The fact of the matter is DEFENSE usually prevails especially if you happen to play an SEC team. I'm not saying that there won't be a hurry-up offense team(s) in the final 4, but I believe the National Champion will most likely not be a solely hurry-up offense team and will be a great defense team with big men in the trenches with exceptional running backs.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:42 am

Good points and you might possibly be right. There is always a first and if a A&M, Auburn or Baylor or Oregon can put a solid defense together, this year might be the first time. The two most solids teams I see right now and if I had to put the Title Game on right now, today, it would be....

Oklahoma vs. Alabama.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:44 pm

Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:08 am

who loves football more than you two!????? 8)

Alabama deserves that slot! Of course the Ar vs. A&M didn't hurt. :lol:
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:57 am

On September 8 under the Topic “It’s Game Week 2 for YOUR Favorite College Football Team”, I said that both Oregon and Georgia would “find a way to lose”. This is Game Week 6 and both have already lost.

http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... 6&start=15
Kenny Wilder wrote:Image

Oregon Is A BIG O In Winning National Championships

Oregon is like Georgia...they both have great football teams, BUT they all find a way to lose in their attempt to make it to a championship game. When was the last time Oregon won a National Championship? Sorry PensacolaKid, how about NONE...O (ZERO), which matches up nicely with their logo.

Oregon might make it to the final 4 in January, but when they meet a powerful SEC defense they will still be a big O (ZERO) for National Championships. DEFENSE sill wins National Championships.

OREGON FOOTBALL HISTORY DATABASE

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/data ... tabase.htm
PensacolaKid's Response to my Post on September 8
PensacolaKid wrote:Hey...don't misunderstand me...I am NOT an Oregon fan. I like watching them though. Auburn beat Oregon behind Cam Newton 4 years back for the National title. I believe they do have what it takes this year to get back to that game. I believe Georgia has a new swagger as well. I am not confident that Bama will be in that game and I know it is early but the QB situation is a bit shaky right now.

What is not shaky is the QB situation at Texas A&M. No test this week for the Aggies though.
Folks I watched the Oregon Arizona game last night on ESPN in its entirety. Arizona outplayed Oregon all night long. Oregon is a terrible football team on both offense and defense. My guess is that 7 SEC teams could easily beat Oregon including Arkansas.

Truthfully, There are going to be more upsets tomorrow. The SEC tomorrow will be a buzz saw tomorrow. I hope Alabama is not one of them that goes down
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:05 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:On September 8 under the Topic “It’s Game Week 2 for YOUR Favorite College Football Team”, I said that both Oregon and Georgia would “find a way to lose”. This is Game Week 6 and both have already lost.

http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... 6&start=15
Kenny Wilder wrote:Image

Oregon Is A BIG O In Winning National Championships

Oregon is like Georgia...they both have great football teams, BUT they all find a way to lose in their attempt to make it to a championship game. When was the last time Oregon won a National Championship? Sorry PensacolaKid, how about NONE...O (ZERO), which matches up nicely with their logo.

Oregon might make it to the final 4 in January, but when they meet a powerful SEC defense they will still be a big O (ZERO) for National Championships. DEFENSE sill wins National Championships.

OREGON FOOTBALL HISTORY DATABASE

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/data ... tabase.htm
PensacolaKid's Response to my Post on September 8
PensacolaKid wrote:Hey...don't misunderstand me...I am NOT an Oregon fan. I like watching them though. Auburn beat Oregon behind Cam Newton 4 years back for the National title. I believe they do have what it takes this year to get back to that game. I believe Georgia has a new swagger as well. I am not confident that Bama will be in that game and I know it is early but the QB situation is a bit shaky right now.

What is not shaky is the QB situation at Texas A&M. No test this week for the Aggies though.
Folks I watched the Oregon Arizona game last night on ESPN in its entirety. Arizona outplayed Oregon all night long. Oregon is a terrible football team on both offense and defense. My guess is that 7 SEC teams could easily beat Oregon including Arkansas.

Truthfully, There are going to be more upsets tomorrow. The SEC tomorrow will be a buzz saw tomorrow. I hope Alabama is not one of them that goes down.

FACT: During the BCS area NO Hurry-Up offense won a National Championship.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:05 pm

Just turned to the 4th Qtr of the MS State vs. Texas A&M game. As a pretty devoted A&M fan, the Aggies do not look like a top 20 team, much less a #6 team. Second week in a row where they don't look like they are on the same page. Very unlike a Sumlin team but they are not clicking. Yes they can score quickly but they can not win by dropping pass after pass, throw poor balls, have a porous defense that can't stop anyone. The Aggies were overrated. Sure they may come back and may beat some solid teams down the road and perhaps even have a great bowl game but I don't see it this year.

MS State on the other hand...a very solid, very good football team, who I think can beat just about anyone. Good for the Bulldogs, they have been in the cellar for decades and it is high time they reap the rewards of their play and coaching.

Waiting on the Bama, Baylor, Auburn and Nebraska games today.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:24 pm

The Week of Major Upsets

Congratulations to Ole Miss who just beat Alabama 23 to 17. It was not a fluke. They won the the game by being the better team.

Congratulations to Mississippi State for beating Texas A&M.

Congratulations to these two Mississippi football teams.

Congratulations to TCU beating Oklahoma.

Congratulations to Notre Dame for beating Stanford

Congratulations to Arizona State beating Oregon.

There ain't nothing like college football. Wisconsin went down today too. It will be interesting to see the ranking polls tomorrow and who is in the Top 10.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “Sports”