USC or Alabama as the top recruiting class?

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:26 am

That depends on what "rating" service is being used. USC was number one in two of the better known ones and Alabama was number one in two of the more notable ones.

However and as I have stated many times, a #1 recruiting class ONLY means that school was able to sign the players that the top rating organizations say are the best. It does NOT equate to an end of the year National Championship for that team. Likewise, as has been the case the last two years, teams that were not even in the top 5 of the recruiting classes have won the BIG PRIZE.

It happens on the field, in one's conference and playing outstanding ball through the entire year.
Razorback

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:06 am

The SEC overall just keeps pulling in the most talented players across the nation. Crap my Hogs had the best class in its history and only finished 22nd overall with 11 SEC teams rated ahead of them. Recruiting is not an exact science though and some coaches are able to "coach up" players. Also many times a 3 star or 4 star player is hungrier than that 5 star player. Whatever standard you want to use doesn't really matter until as you say they take the field and actually play the game. BUT, over the past 10 national champions only 2, Texas in 2005 with a class of 20, and FSU in 2013 with a class rank of 14 are the only 2 champions that did not have a recruiting class ranked in the top 4. So ranking does matter and gives you a better shot at getting to the top.
Love Navarre Beach
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:59 am

All true statements but you mention a good point. Is there a dramatic difference in a 3 or 4 vs a 5 player? Can "coaching them up" make a difference? Can a 3 or 4 up their play? Absolutely. Alabama had the top ranked recruiting lineup the last what....2-3 years and it did not happen for them last year or this year. I do firmly believe a top 15-20 class can excel and elevate themselves to the top without those top 5 recruits. That makes it mo fun!!!!

Go Hogs!!
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:08 am

football? I have missed these conversations. :)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:42 am

Nope....not missed a thing, Redchaz. It is coming though!!! :D :D :D We are approximately 2.5 months from the start of the season. Can't wait!!! :D

King of the Hill right now......Ohio State. I don't like it but it is what it is. I am still picking TCU to be right there at the very end.

Return to “Sports”