Nick Saban rolling around town in $130K car

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:21 am

Question for discussion/debate. On Yahoo Sports just a few minutes ago, there was an article (below) talking about Coach Nick Saban of Alabama, sporting around campus in a $125K Mercedes Benz. So the question is and this will obviously be subjective, is this a good example to set? Should such a high profile person in this type of setting, be rolling around in such an expensive car?

The question is NOT, should he own one or does he have the right to own one. Of course he does. Especially if he has a financial interest in a Dealership. The question is, based on his role, the setting and the message(s) he possibly sends.
BRUH. The University of Alabama Crimson Tide camp right now is absolutely lit, thanks to Coa
ch Nick Saban rolling through the campus streets in a brand new Mercedes-AMG GT S Coupe.

Plenty of players, staff, and students went wild when they saw the $129,900 (MSRP) coupe sitting around camp. He’s the part owner of a Mercedes dealership in Hoover, Ala., and he’s previously been seen in an S550, so it shouldn’t be a surprise to see him sticking to the German manufacturer. Some of the players took to Twitter to brag about the coach’s come up. First it was Mekhi Brown.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:58 am

Sure - shows that if you work hard, succeed - there are (eventually) benefits.
If he was a 20-year old - not a good example - should be working/saving for the future.
But as a (how old?) - time to enjoy the fruits of one's lifetime of labor!
Besides, as pointed out - if have the right (and means) to own one - it is of little practicality if you don't/can't drive it to/form work, etc. Is a car just a "collectable" or a tool for use?
Actually using an (expensive) tool is better example than just owning it for no "use".
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:35 pm

I guess I am looking at this from a teacher, mentor, educator type of standpoint. I could not see a a Tom Landry, a Tom Osborne, a John Wooden, etc., riding around in that setting. It just seems a bit ostentatious to me in that type of situation. Wall Street.....a realtor in Beverly Hills, Vegas, seems to be more of an applicable setting. Just my opinion though.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:14 am

A life well lived. He definitely mentors and gives to charity. He is enjoying the fruits of his labor.

You go, Nick!

I do not see an issue, at all. Also, part owner in a Mercedes dealership? Great marketing! :wink:

PS...Go Clemson.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:56 am

All fair opinions!

Return to “Sports”