2nd Week Action

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:22 am

Just a few snippets on yesterdays activities in the college football world.

#1 Auburn hopefully will be demoted to #25 if not kicked out altogether. They had the same attitude that a lot of the big teams displayed yesterday, they just took it to a whole different level. Shame on your Auburn and now you MUST EARN your way back in. Auburn in NOT a top ten team and possibly not a top 20.

Who looked strong, although about the only team that played anyone of caliber is Oklahoma and more on them in a second.

Ohio State, Bama and Michigan State were the strongest and boy, that Michigan State team, those cats are solid all the way around. Nice uniforms too...made them look pretty darn bad ***. People better wake up to Michigan State.

Notre Dame....bye bye.

Arkansas and good golly miss molly, what are they doing? #1 please leave Little Rock and don't play there anymore. You have a dandy stadium on your own campus. #2, if the HOGS don't shape up and make a dramatic turnaround and there is plenty of time to do it, they will be without yet another Head Coach come February. I am deeply disappointed in Auburn and Arkansas.

Ole Miss....dang son....what are they drinking? Next week will be the test for both the Rebels and the Crimson Tide. Finally, somebody is playing somebody.

A&M....looks pretty strong against a very weak opponent but boy SEC fans, did you get a hold of that new stadium???? :shock: :o Biggest in the SEC and 4th largest in the nation. Simply a stunning venue. The ol Aggies may vie for the SEC West this year but still too early.

Oklahoma...filled with talent, a top ten team and a bunch of classless aholes as both players and coaches. Shame on Stoops for allowing his criminals to act like they did at the end of the game. I will now root for every single team to beat Oklahoma. If you have ties to Oklahoma, first, I am sorry. Secondly, make some calls, shoot some emails to at least have Stoops come on national TV and apologize for his criminals behavior.

University of Houston Cougars...YAAAAAAAAAAY!!! Way to go Cougars. UofH has a new Head Coach, Tom Herman. Who was the Offensive Coordinator to Urban Meyers last year at Ohio State. He has vowed to bring prominence back to UofH like they had back in the old Southwest Conference days and even higher. New stadium is in place and the goal is to get enough recognition this year to be considered for either the ACC, Pac12 or Big12. They did themselves proud yesterday against a good Louisville team and at their Papa John Stadium. Good job U of H! :D

Spurrier's last season in college football is this one. He just does not have what it takes to recruit players away from other schools and his name is now been worn out. These new kids don't have a clue who Steve Spurrier is and don't care.

Not sure how the Mean Green of U of North Texas did yesterday? Anyone know?????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:37 am

Was pleased to note that in the Iowa intra-state rivalry - Iowa Hawkeye's bested Iowa State Cyclone's (for the first time in awhile?). Yea!

Though Hawkeyes didn't look like they had anything together until the last 1/8th of the game.....?

Quarterback got more yards rushing than many running backs - something like two runs of 40-50 yards - one a busted play, one a design draw. Athletic. Keep defense guessing. Some very good long throws, too.
Last edited by Pete on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Pete for life of me, I have never understood why State and the Hawkeye play this game so early?
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:23 am

In the words of Zorba the Greek...."Tradition"!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:51 am

PK! I agree on Arkansas and Auburn. As a Razorback fan never want to hear the word "holding" again. Did the team think it was an easy win and forgot their game brain. argh! At a game watching party and it was painful. People rolling around on the floor, walking outside to get fresh air.

Still a believer in the coach's plan but it was painful.

On a bright note! Roll Tide!
Nidrah

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:47 am

Late to the posting - been trying to forget this past weekend.

Arkansas is stuck with Bielema for the next 5 years. We could, and might possibly, lose every game between now and 2020 and he would still be our coach, unless someone wants to fork over 15 million to get rid of him. I think it drops to 7 million in 2019. All this for a coach that has won 2 SEC games and runs his mouth way too much! Crazy right?

Auburn didn't look too good on Saturday, but y'all can keep Gus.

Michigan State looks good.

Texas is currently in a dumpster fire. They deserve every bit of it.

I hope the Ole Miss/Bama game is close.

I think the Mean Green played SMU and lost.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:04 am

Texas fired their Athletic Director last night or early this morning and they have several options right now and many of them are good choices. I know Oliver Luck (as well as Andrew, very well) and he would be a dandy choice and would take Texas to where they need to be, although I am by no means a Texas fan.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:42 am

PensacolaKid wrote:Pete for life of me, I have never understood why State and the Hawkeye play this game so early?
Also, wife reminded me - it is an out of conference game for both - which are usually (always?) early in the schedules - not like Alabama-Auburn in same conference.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
iowajake

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Iowa looked pretty good against ISU. Will be a bit tougher against Pitt under the lights. Would be nice to go 3-0, becuase their conference schedule, despite no Ohio State, is not going to be a cake walk. On Iowa!!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:02 pm

One Hour and Fifteen Minutes Until Kick-Off
Bama-Ole Miss 2015.jpg
Bama-Ole Miss 2015.jpg (53 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
ALABAMA 42
OLE MISS 10
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:36 am

WOW! What a great win tonight for Ole Miss. They certainly deserved to win the game. Is college football great, or what?
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:11 am

The Bama/Ole Miss game was certainly entertaining and I watched every single second of it. I am not sure what the deal is with teams this year and I know we are only in the third week but it does not appear that anyone in the nation is dominant. Sure, for the most part the first two weeks the competition is not very good. Just about everyone but Georgia had a very difficult time yesterday with two top 15 teams going down.

Something else I am noticing and not sure what the issue is but the defenses of the major players are just not playing well.

Auburn...you should be ashamed of yourself and something is afoul over there on the plains. I have never seen a more mediocre, lackluster, apathetic ball team. It is almost as if they are fed up playing for the coaches and wanted to make that point yesterday. There is no discipline, there is no determination, there is no drive, or will or anger on that team. The tackling is deplorable and I am wondering if in fact it is some type of revolt against Muschamp. The QB...bench him! He is not a the QB for Auburn. Very timid, afraid and can not see the defenses. Not to mention he has no arm. Shame on you Auburn. Waaaaay over rated for sure.

Ole Miss.....they almost gave it away but they are a very good football team. I was very impressed with their defense for the first half and then they ran out of gas. They did what they had to do though to win. I do see room for improvement and if they do, they may be the team to beat in the SEC. Georgia is the team to beat in the East.

Arkansas...not sure Hogs what the issues are but very disappointing to this point.

Not sure what the issues are with the defense of Alabama either. Is Kirby losing it? They have the talent but something is amiss? Coker, the QB, he did a pretty good job but he is also not reading the defenses as well as he should. Perhaps it is a young defense? I am just perplexed as to why defenses are allowing 30+ points now on a consistent basis.

Lastly, I saw a picture this morning in the Houston Chronicle's Sports page of the Mean Green of U of North Texas (sorry Brian) but the uniforms are hideous. You can not win looking that bad!!! Brian...you must make some phone calls and get that changed. :shock:
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:23 pm

Quite a Saturday.

Happy to see wins for all four ranked Big 10 (plus Notre Dame).
Also a win is a win for Iowa Hawkeyes!
Still getting used to the additions to the "Big 10" (14). OK, MAYBE Penn St. and Nebraska (though why?), but Maryland and Rutgers?????
Ditto with the "Big 12" (now 10 - it was Big 8 when I was a kid)? But they also have 4 teams in top 25.

Sad about Arkansas - just didn't seem to have "game on".
Also like seeing the win for Texas A&M.

All in all - the rankings tomorrow should be interesting.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
iowajake

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:51 am

Great win for the Hawkeyes! Defense seemed a bit soft at times...Sunshine threw a horrific pick. Nice to start off 3-0. I guess we will be witnessed to the owful north Texas uniforms this Saturday.
Was shocked at the Ole Miss-Alabama result. What a great atmosphere, though. LSU looked very good against Auburn. Ohio St squeaked by against a touhgt Northern Illinois. I agree with earlier posts...although only 3 weeks in, no clear dominant team.

Return to “Sports”