This week's action

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:22 am

Boy what an incredible weekend of college football. I had a one fantastic experience and let me share it with you. I was able to attend the Texas A&M vs. Alabama football game and tailgaiting activities. What a place Aggieland is now with this new Kyle Field. 4th largest in the country and largest in the SEC. 105,787 on Saturday. I had another thrilling experience in that I got to meet and shake one of my hero's hand...Tim Tebow. Yep, the SEC Network was there and Tim spent well over an hour talking to, signing or taking pictures with whomever wanted to. What an incredible young man he is. Of course Paul Finebaum was there to and I have little use for him. He acted like he was some hollyweird celebrity and had little time for anyone.

I will say first that Alabama dominated the Aggies and they certainly have the Aggies number right now. It does not help that they threw four interceptions, three of which were returned for touchdowns. Here is something else my group discovered firsthand, although I have known it for quite some time now. Let me preface this by saying not all Alabama faithful are this way but compared to the Aggie faithful and the Auburn faithful it is abundantly obvious that Alabama fans have a lot to learn when it comes to losing and winning with grace and especially winning. We purposely spoke with several handfuls of Alabama fans before (tailgating), during and after the game and I am sorry Bama fans and I know Kenny Wilder is the biggest, but the arrogance they displaced is very unbecoming. The cockiness is not needed. Alabama won and won big and Alabama fans need to learn how to accept that without broadcasting it to the masses as if they are trying to prove something. Did this apply to everyone we spoke to or heard....no. If fact, we spoke to several who won "graciously" but the vast majority...asses! Two years ago when I attended the Auburn game at Kyle Field and the Tigers won, we did not encounter a single arrogant, in your face Auburn fan and really it was quite the opposite. Not a single one. I realize there is a difference in the history or winning between say Auburn and Alabama or Texas and Texas A&M but regardless, there is a way to win gracefully/graciously and with respect and shoving in others faces. Not just my opinion but the 8 others I was with. I do believe though that Alabama needs to be above a few teams.

How about that Michigan State/Michigan game....that is college football and I love it.

Memphis beats Ole Miss.....whaaaat?

Three teams from the lowly AAC (my Houston Cougars, Memphis and Temple) in the top 25?

LSU looks strong and it in my opinion the only roadblock to Alabama. Florida will win the East.
iowajake

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:31 pm

P'kid....have to agree that Tim Tebow is a classy guy. Missed almost all the games this weekend, except the 2nd half of the Iowa-Northwestern game. Iowa put on a show, improving to 7-0. We are careful to say anything, but schedule is not the most difficult the rest of the way. I would never call playing at Nebraska easy, nor MN, or Purdue. Heard the talk of the MI-MI St game on radio, and couldn't believe it when i saw the replays. I do hope MI fans keep in mind that it is a still a game, and let the punter live his life without having being reminded of that play endlessly. AL looked good, OSU looks very good. Iowa has week off, so many players will have time to recover. it sure is exciting! go Hawks!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:29 am

iowajake wrote:...the Iowa-Northwestern game. Iowa put on a show, improving to 7-0. We are careful to say anything, but schedule is not the most difficult the rest of the way. I would never call playing at Nebraska easy, nor MN, or Purdue. ... Iowa has week off, so many players will have time to recover. it sure is exciting! go Hawks!
Love it! While Iowa (due to aforementioned schedule - no currently top-25 ranked teams for rest of year) will not be in BCS talk - it sure is fun to see Hawkeyes at number 12!
As well at the other three ranked Big Ten teams, lead by Ohio State - (plus Notre Dame)!
For Iowa - the intra-conference MN game (for Floyd), and the out of conference NE game are long standing rivalries that always can turn on nearly pure emotion. Tough games, on either side.
(personal note - my folks were both MN grads, and legendary MN coach Bernie Bierman is from my Dad's hometown - but I married an Iowa Hawkeye - nuf' said!)
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:39 am

I too like seeing the likes of the Hawkeyes in the top 15. It has been a while.

Return to “Sports”