Alabama vs. Clemson -- National College Championship Game

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:32 pm

I love the way the prognosticators are already saying it will be Clemson and Alabama again next year.

Pkid, I think it's easy to sit back and say a team lost a game by their mistakes. I mean ya think? :lol:

I've heard so many wonderful comments from Alabama fans commending the great Clemson Tigers. My past assessment of Bama fans has come up quite a few notches this season. It was a great game. One that begins a new base line for college football championship games.

Now, I'm worn out from this season and taking a sports break. :lol: At least until the Super Bowl. :wink:
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Linda,

I do believe you lost my meaning in the translation and was not understood. I was not slamming Clemson by any stretch of the imagination and I know that is not what you are saying. However, there is a difference in a team dominating another team and a team beating another team and a team beating itself. Like I said, the Clemson/Bama game was not like the Bama/Michigan State game. In that game Bama dominated the Spartans like noone's business. That was not the case with Clemson. For the first half, Clemson had Bama on the ropes and were the better team.

At one point in the 2nd Qtr Clemson had Alabama reeling and could have at that point gone up by 14 points. They could not stop Deshaun and they were stopping Henry. Not all mistakes made by a team are taken advantage of by the other team and converted into points. Bama was not that type of team. They did what all great teams do. The bottom line is as good as the DC is for Clemson and he is one of the best, he did a poor job in correcting the pass coverage. Hence, they were horrendously beaten on at least three occasions that led to points. There was not a Clemson defender within 20 yards on all three occasions. Happens once, no big deal....three times, that is and was a problem and led to Clemson's defeat. Venables and Swinney should have corrected that the first time. The onsides kickoff.....Saban out coached Swinney bottom line. My point was, and by the score at the end of the game reflected it, just a correction of one of those mistakes, Clemson would have won the National Championship and I still think Clemson could take Alabama tomorrow. Clemson had an incredible year and I do believe with who they have coming back they will be right at the top again next year. Absolutely zero reason to hang their heads in the least.

As for Alabama fans, I'm going to provide a personal commentary here based on me being from Alabama and being an avid college football fan. We here in Texas have a way of describing U of Texas fans....a-hole tea sippers. That label comes mainly from years and years of Texas beating Texas A&M. Not only beating them but rubbing it in their face. Humble winners, they were not. Nowhere close. They got egotistical, arrogant, conceited and frankly obnoxious as hell to be around. Truthfully, they were and many cases still are that way. Longhorns are not well liked in this state, aside from those that went there, period! I guess it is bred into them. That has waned a bit these days because Texas has been humbled on many fronts. The least of which is that they have for all practical purposes sucked, for the most part, for the past 8-9 years. Let us not forget that for over 10 years prior to Saban coming on board, Alabama sucked at recruiting, playing, coaching, and winning. They were horrible in every capacity. Like the weather, college football and football teams are cyclical. Bama, USC, Florida, Miami, Oklahoma, Michigan, etc.

I have encountered Alabama fans both in Alabama as well as here in Texas. There are hundreds of Texas kids going to Alabama. It is a great school with great traditions and great teams, year in and year out, and not just football. Call it what you will but a very large % of Bama fans have become very much like those Texas fans. I saw it first hand at the Alabama/Texas A&M game in College Station in October. It was obvious and obnoxious. One table, pre-game, I had to actually walk away in mid sentence because of their attitude. Everyone knows what Saban and Alabama has done over the past 6 years. It is incredible, it is phenomenal, it is unprecedented and it is amazing. Just be humble winners and fans and let the play of the players and the coaching of the coaches do the talking. That is all I am saying.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:08 am

PensacolaKid wrote: We here in Texas have a way of describing U of Texas fans....a-hole tea sippers. That label comes mainly from years and years of Texas beating Texas A&M. Not only beating them but rubbing it in their face. Humble winners, they were not. Nowhere close. They got egotistical, arrogant, conceited and frankly obnoxious as hell to be around.
Noted the same thing with Nebraska in the 1970's. Not so much anymore.
As you say - over the long term - what goes around, usually comes around - eventually.

As for football - with both Vikings and then Packers out of play offs (both very close games, heart breakers!) - I'm pretty non-invested in the remaining Pro teams.

As the old joke goes - a Vikings player, a Bears player, a Lions player, and now a Green Bay player walked into a bar ....................................... to watch the playoffs. :roll: :wink:
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:05 am

I absolutely can not wait for next August. It will be very interesting to see who will be at the top ten, preseason. I know Bama and Clemson will be. I have seen some early polls in which Baylor is there as well. Probably the typical lineup but I would like to see some other teams break through after the first few weeks.

I can tell you this for an absolutely certainty, unless Christ chooses to come back first....here are just three games on Saturday, September 3, 2016...

Kickoff Classic (Atlanta) - Georgia vs. North Carolina
Cowboys Classic (Dallas) - Southern Cal vs. Alabama
Advocare Texas Kickoff (Houston - NRG Stadium) - Houston vs. Oklahoma

Pretty darn fine way to kick off the 2016 season.

Return to “Sports”