Kenny Stabler acquitted

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:51 am

Kenny Stabler acquitted
Associated Press

Updated: October 23, 2008, 12:45 AM ET

ROBERTSDALE, Ala. -- Former Alabama and NFL quarterback Ken Stabler has been found not guilty of drunken driving charges in south Alabama.

Stabler was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after being stopped shortly after midnight June 8 on Alabama 59 in Robertsdale, near Mobile Bay.

After more than three hours of testimony, acting Municipal Judge James Sweet issued his verdict.

"I just don't think the city has met its burden of proof," Sweet said.

Stabler, 62, was driving north at 12:32 a.m. when officer Tyler Kane stopped him, according to testimony. Kane, who is now a state trooper, said he was by the side of the road making another stop when Stabler's vehicle passed within a few feet of him.

Kane said he stopped Stabler's vehicle.

"His speech was a little bit slurred and I could detect a strong odor of alcohol in the vehicle," Kane said.

He said Stabler refused to take a breath test. Sweet ruled that police did not observe Stabler for the entire time before the defendant was asked to take the test and would not allow the refusal to be entered as evidence.

Defense attorney Mark Polson said the acquittal will allow Stabler to move on.

"What a relief. Ken has just suffered through this whole episode and this will let him get on with the rest of his life," Polson told the Press-Register of Mobile.

Stabler played for Alabama from 1965-67 and was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in 1968. He played for the Raiders, the Houston Oilers and the New Orleans Saints before retiring in 1984.

He has been a color analyst on Alabama football broadcast for 10 years but is taking a leave of absence this season.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:31 am

So, did he "beat the rap" on a technicality (and because he is famous, and can afford a good lawyer)?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
ToesInTheSand

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:14 am

Yep, he got out of it by not "blowing". Technically, they cannot PROVE he was intoxicated. That's why most of the people who get pulled over and are still somewhat in control of their "faculties" and refuse the breathalizer get off. SAD. If you are WAY out of control drunk, they'll take you in for a blood test.

I have actually waited on Mr. Stabler when I was a bartender, and I can guarentee you.....he does have a problem with alcohol. I cut him off. Luckily, it was a hotel bar and he stayed on property.

I just don't understand why people drive with booze in their system. And there are many who will calculate what they think they can drink and get away with once they are pulled over. ??? What is the big deal of just NOT DRINKING when you're driving? Sig & I take turns when it's just the 2 of us going out to dinner.
I refuse to have ANY alcohol in my body when driving......I do not want to have to lie to the cop if pulled over for any reason, I couldn't pull it off! :P

So many people are killed every day because of drunk drivers, and most of the time they are repeat offenders. They just don't get it.

MADD is still trying to get the BAC lowered to 0% in all states, it would probably pass at .04%. I know that I am not fit to drive at .08%! I'm a cheap date. :lol:
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:21 pm

I’m a big BAMA fan and a Kenny Stabler fan. I’m not totally shocked since this is his 3rd DUI. Stabler is a great commentator on the Alabama Football Radio Network. Even though he was found not guilty in court on a technicality, the University of Alabama has suspended him for the rest of the season. They say that a decision on whether or not to retain Stabler will be decided upon before the 2009 football season. My gut feeling is that he will not be back next year. That will certainly be a shame, but it might be the best decision. Single DUI arrests and especially repeated DUI arrests need to be taken seriously no matter who you are.

I believe if Nick Saban has anything to do with the decision that Stabler will not be back. Saban is a strict disciplinarian and has no patience for this kind of conduct.

ROLL TIDE!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
ToesInTheSand

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 pm

Wow, had no idea he had been busted before. Sad.
He WAS a very friendly guy.......liked him. Just couldn't handle the liquor.
:(

Return to “Sports”